Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 1, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #18,511 of 37,597

The only way you can mark improvement from one DAC to another is to have everything else implemented exactly the same except the DAC. Let me know if this has been done and I will be interested in the findings. Otherwise any marked improvements could be compounded improvements not necessarily from the DAC or from the DAC alone. 

I agree, that's the problem with these pissing contests about components. Unless you've built out the rest of the chain the same way it's not much of a test anyway.  And if you've done that you are probably a builder yourself, pushing a sales agenda.

Charlie Hansen from Ayre says they do exactly that when designing a new circuit: A set of possible components are selected and then extended listening tests are performed while switching in and out various components on a custom mock setup until the designer feels they've achieved the best sounding circuit. They are instructed to look at no graphs or scopes or specs during this process and rely solely on their ears and their emotional responses to extended listening sessions.

The finest sounding circuit is completed and then they re-tune the circuit using specs and standard industry practices for completing the circuit. In some units this second formula-derived setting is built in as the only switchable sound feature on the device.

Charlie said at one point they had a faceplate with one switch only labelled human/math or something like that, but marketing made them relabel and hide the switch.

BTW - if you want a similar test where the DAC is the same but analog is different, try to hear a Fiio next to a Pono. Most of them use the same DAC but it's different through the analog and output sections.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #18,512 of 37,597
This is a pictures thread........... Just sayin'.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #18,513 of 37,597

This is a pictures thread........... Just sayin'.

sorry i'm on the run, the "scientists" are banning me all over head-fi. call me copernicus.

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #18,514 of 37,597
Can we talk about DAP prices?

I have a question, and excuse the newb in me. What is the difference between FiiO x3ii ($159 - $199) and AK240 that justifies the huge price difference?

Again, not looking to start an argument, since getting into headphones I've always been amazed at the price differences with DAPS

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #18,515 of 37,597

I have a question, and excuse the newb in me. What is the difference between FiiO x3ii ($159 - $199) and AK240 that justifies the huge price difference?

Again, not looking to start an argument, since getting into headphones I've always been amazed at the price differences with DAPS

There's the same sort of price difference with headphones as well. And desktop DACs. And pretty much everything.

The difference is, as you should have assumed, quality. And feature-set. But mostly quality.

Is the AK240 really thousands of dollars better sounding than the X3ii? No. It is marginally better. That margin can be worth thousands of dollars to some people.

I have the Astell&Kern AK120ii. I upgraded from the FiiO X5. It is better in every way. Sound, Interface, Build, Looks. For me, it is very much worth the $1040 I paid for it. I'm not sure I would feel the same if I was asked to pay the full $1700 it usually goes for.

What something is worth is really up to you. Start small. Get the X3. If it fulfills you, never upgrade, and be happy forever. :D

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #18,516 of 37,597
There's the same sort of price difference with headphones as well. And desktop DACs. And pretty much everything.

The difference is, as you should have assumed, quality. And feature-set. But mostly quality.

Is the AK240 really thousands of dollars better sounding than the X3ii? No. It is marginally better. That margin can be worth thousands of dollars to some people.

I have the Astell&Kern AK120ii. I upgraded from the FiiO X5. It is better in every way. Sound, Interface, Build, Looks. For me, it is very much worth the $1040 I paid for it. I'm not sure I would feel the same if I was asked to pay the full $1700 it usually goes for.

What something is worth is really up to you. Start small. Get the X3. If it fulfills you, never upgrade, and be happy forever. :D

Don't get me wrong I'm sure that thing is worth every penny. Looks alone it's leagues above the FiiO. Again just curious if it was for marginally better sound (in opinion) or if the hardware just really cost that much.

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #18,517 of 37,597

I think its more of personal preference.

Hear and buy what you like, its the best.
You might find cheaper players more suitable for your headphones or IEM and to your liking. Just give those equipments a test.

Everyone combo gave different results to different people. Every person hears differently. Most important is what you feel about sound of the equipment.

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #18,518 of 37,597

Sure. Just not in this thread :wink_face:

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #18,519 of 37,597
Don't get me wrong I'm sure that thing is worth every penny. Looks alone it's leagues above the FiiO. Again just curious if it was for marginally better sound (in opinion) or if the hardware just really cost that much.

For deeper insight into my mentality on this device and the sort of money we're talking about, read my review of the AK120ii.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-ak120ii-high-resolution-dual-dac-music-player-silver/reviews/14094

As a psychological study on how someone progresses--or deteriorates--along this head-fi journey, read my entire catalog. It's a compelling narrative, if you start at the beginning with the X3ii review and follow the madness to summit-fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/users/419286/reviews

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #18,520 of 37,597
my travel companion:

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #18,522 of 37,597
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/hardback-case/laptop-case/1075/

Quote:
  Where did you got the case? i want one like yours to put all my rigs

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #18,523 of 37,597

I understand your confusion, people saying £300 daps are fantastic and then saying £3,000 daps are fantastic. so why not settle on the lower priced units?

i think you get a much more refined sound the higher you go, especially when the dac chip is wonderfully implemented with a great amp section but with that said i believe you really shouldnt need to be adding portable amps and or dacs to daps that cost £1,000+ ( unless its a portable valve amp for the flavour ) 

in my eyes an expensive dedicated music player is a failure if down the line one feels the need to strap on something like a chord mojo + amp but people will do as they please and thats no problem and up to them.

note- this is not an attack, just my thoughts and opinions. happy listening 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #18,525 of 37,597
my travel companion:

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Seems to me you have at least 3 different interconnects to suit to your liking. If so, noice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back