Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #15,797 of 37,597

My first photo post. I am kind of a newbe, but I am pretty impressed by how nice this sounds.

Had several MD players and recorders when I lived in Japan in the late 90's and early 00's. Loved the concept and form factor. Too bad (?) that new electronic file formats were develop and made them semi-obsolete.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #15,798 of 37,597
Had several MD players and recorders when I lived in Japan in the late 90's and early 00's. Loved the concept and form factor. Too bad (?) that new electronic file formats were develop and made them semi-obsolete.

I retired my old MD player after it took a nasty fall and went out of commission. I too really liked the MD format. Particularly miss the awesome remote with a display.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #15,799 of 37,597
Thank you. I remember spending many happy hours with my first cassette Walkman and can hardly believe what it has all evolved into. This makes me feel a bit old as well. I fought CDs tooth and nail!

I remember spinning wax cilinders. I am really old (j/k).

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #15,801 of 37,597

Sony Discman nice makes me feel old I remember when CD's first came out, its crazy how fast technology evolves! Nice set up

Gotta get me one of this couch 
o2smile.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #15,802 of 37,597
My hi-fi n00b self has been stalking this thread in hopes of learning how to boost my humble music listening—and I say humble because I only own 2 iPod classics and Marshall headphones—and so far, I've learned how to want to curl up in a ball, cry, and die of envy
triportsad.gif
 Would be great to get some headphone x headphone amp recommendations! Thanks heaps in advance.

(Sorry, Internet pals! I'm new here, so I'm still exploring threads etc etc)

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #15,803 of 37,597
Using an iPod (like me), I can vouch for both the HP-P1 and HiFi M8 - depends how much you want to spend - the Oppo HA-2 gets good reviews and that's a little cheaper. I think it's a good idea to bypass both the DAC and the amp on the iPod and it's up to you whether you go for one box or two.

Headphones are so subjective and personal all you can do is narrow down exactly what type of phones you need (open / closed / IEM etc), work out how much you can spend then do some research / auditioning (although a great many of the headphones discussed on these forums are not readily available in your local hi-fi store, so sometimes you've just got to trust the comments and reviews).

The only thing that's guaranteed is that you'll spend way more than you bargained - building a headphone rig is like building a house, calculate your budget and then double it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #15,804 of 37,597
  Using an iPod (like me), I can vouch for both the HP-P1 and HiFi M8 - depends how much you want to spend - the Oppo HA-2 gets good reviews and that's a little cheaper. I think it's a good idea to bypass both the DAC and the amp on the iPod and it's up to you whether you go for one box or two.

Headphones are so subjective and personal all you can do is narrow down exactly what type of phones you need (open / closed / IEM etc), work out how much you can spend then do some research / auditioning (although a great many of the headphones discussed on these forums are not readily available in your local hi-fi store, so sometimes you've just got to trust the comments and reviews).

The only thing that's guaranteed is that you'll spend way more than you bargained - building a headphone rig is like building a house, calculate your budget and then double it.

With regard to headphones, I've always preferred over-ear ones. And as for the budget, I can go as far as shelling out $ for a pair of Sennheiser HD800 (if it does prove to be the best option for me). I'm also looking to build my very first hi-fi set-up. I've got my eyes on Astell&Kern DAPs!

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #15,805 of 37,597
Been listening to this combo lately.  Love it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #15,806 of 37,597

With regard to headphones, I've always preferred over-ear ones. And as for the budget, I can go as far as shelling out $ for a pair of Sennheiser HD800 (if it does prove to be the best option for me). I'm also looking to build my very first hi-fi set-up. I've got my eyes on Astell&Kern DAPs!

I've never listened to the HD800s, though I've read they can be slightly 'clinical' - I've got my sights set on some Fostex TH900s which, it seems, are more 'colourful'. There's nowhere within 400miles that stock them so I'm going to have to trust the reviewers.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #15,807 of 37,597
cZHYmC2.jpg

Going on vacation to Missouri for a week. Packed my essentials. :wink:

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #15,808 of 37,597
Hey uncle Monty, just want to let you know I have a set of fostex th900 for about 2 and a half months and all I can say is these cans are exactly what I wanted and more. They are paired with iPod touch & centrance M8 XL4 and oh boy oh boy oh boy!! I listen to my portable rig every day and every chance I get. I average 6 to 8 hours a day. Head-fi.org got me hooked on portable rig now. Shame on you head-fiers. :joy: dive in now uncle Monty. It is very painless and organically rewarding. Razordogaudio.com has the best price & free shipping along with $100.00 instant rebate for orders over $399.00. Let the ear torture begin. Ps chord Hugo is now on order. :wink: whoop whoop

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #15,809 of 37,597

Comparing rigs.
Fostex HPP1- Algorythm solo -r, ALO Continental V2 - Algorythm Solo-dub, ALO RXMK3-b+ - Onkyo DAC HA200 with SE846 in both balanced and single ended. Fun times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back