Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Feb 3, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #15,481 of 37,579
  What DAPs have you listened to? I'm looking for a DAC to use with my SD-2 as well.

I start from iPod Video 5 gen. So far, DX90 was best DAP I've ever tried, but sorry I am not satisfied. FiiO X1 tease me to jump into hardware mod, but then I sold them all. Perhaps Cayin N6 could be the next one.
#edited.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #15,482 of 37,579
Finally laid my hands on the elusive Rio Karma after 2 years of searching.

The satisfaction is indescribable.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #15,483 of 37,579
Originally Posted by palermo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I start from iPod Video 5 gen. So far, DX90 was best DAP I've ever tried, but sorry I am not satisfied. FiiO X1 tease me to jump into hardware mod, but then I sold them all. Perhaps Cayin N6 could be the next one.
#edited.

What didn't you like about the DX90 compared to the Island?

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #15,484 of 37,579
Run through balance is different at all, I notice the kick bass right on the back and other instrument spread round it. The Island creates large room without being clinically sound, really enjoy. I don't know it sounds right or wrong or just manipulation, but it never found in DX90. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #15,488 of 37,579
  Nice. What does it do beside look cool?

isn't that the 20GB circa 2003 model?  why so good?

my question too?!?

This might come as a surprise, but I love the sound quality of this baby. 

For me, it outperforms the likes of the AK100/ 120ii twins.
Yes, it might lack the refinement of the AK players, but this little bugger kicks the twin in the guts with its power and tenacity.
It combines power, clarity and musicality in a tiny box that evokes emotions whenever I listen to music through it.

Very possibly my find of 2015.

biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #15,490 of 37,579
I always thought the Rio line was horrible after the 500 I had but I guess they made someone decent again eventually. I never had a chance to try the 500 with good headphones though so it probably wasn't even that great. :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #15,494 of 37,579
That's what I heard on a friends no difference, balanced cables are for canceling out electromagnetic noise in long runs of wire. Even the makers say they sound is better on the units. If theres no noise in the first place  it shouldn't change the sound if it does maybe there using a filter on the balanced output to make people here a difference. The purpose of a balanced cable is not to change the sound. Its to cancel out noise over long runs of wire. And from a headphone to the DAP is a short run of wire. I just dont understand how companys make a big deal over a balanced input but that's only my opinion.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #15,495 of 37,579
This will be 10k Usd + 1 kidney. And there will be a limited version dipped in semen from famous musicians for improved SQ that will cost 100k + 1 cornea.

Does that come with a Victoria's Secret model to hold it for me, cause I ain't touching that limited version with my own hands?! 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back