Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #14,702 of 37,593
Yesterday Noon my brand New Chord Black Hugo and Chord Hugo Black leather case just Arrived at Jaben Store STC Jakarta .
I would like to say Thank you to Jonathan Chord Indonesia and Alvon and Nico Jaben STC to let their First Batch shipment Black Chord Hugo For Me .
In between 2 Hours 9 pcs Black Chord Hugo was sold out, It is unbelievable :D
I would like to Share some pictures below

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #14,703 of 37,593
Same drivers, Different year. Just a new DAP.
I keep my mobile listening rig dead simple. Last time I was here it was the F806.Well, actually, I had to get a replacement set for the earphones...
Well, I actually use a FiiO E11 sometimes, but I'm lazy to include it in the photo since I use it only on a whim.

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #14,708 of 37,593
Yesterday Noon my brand New Chord Black Hugo and Chord Hugo Black leather case just Arrived at Jaben Store STC Jakarta .
I would like to say Thank you to Jonathan Chord Indonesia and Alvon and Nico Jaben STC to let their First Batch shipment Black Chord Hugo For Me .
In between 2 Hours 9 pcs Black Chord Hugo was sold out, It is unbelievable
biggrin.gif

I would like to Share some pictures below

Hi rudi,

what are the hardware difference between the original Hugo and this black edition? This could not only the color?

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #14,709 of 37,593
Back for a moment. Took the time to gather the big happy family for a group photo. If for some reason you don't like a specific Japanese audio giant, look away now.

Yeah... easy to see where my loyalties lie.

So that's all my kit I consider to be "portable", that is to say I would use out of home.
Obviously I don't use all of these at once. As stated the ZX1 (replacing the F806) is now my go-to portable rig, but if for whatever reason I haven't brought out a WALKMAN, phone/tablet do acceptably.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #14,710 of 37,593
Back for a moment. Took the time to gather the big happy family for a group photo. If for some reason you don't like a specific Japanese audio giant, look away now.
 ​
Yeah... easy to see where my loyalties lie.

So that's all my kit I consider to be "portable", that is to say I would use out of home.
Obviously I don't use all of these at once. As stated the ZX1 (replacing the F806) is now my go-to portable rig, but if for whatever reason I haven't brought out a WALKMAN, phone/tablet do acceptably.

What are thoughts on ZX1 compared to your old F806.

Which areas do you hear lots of improvement?

(I own an F806 and Z1050)

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #14,711 of 37,593
What are thoughts on ZX1 compared to your old F806.
Which areas do you hear lots of improvement?
(I own an F806 and Z1050)

Quoting myself with the edit I made in the ZX1 thread earlier;
Edit:
After even more listening with the ZX1 vs the F806; here is my definitive sound difference list - the ZX1:
  • Is warmer & brighter
  • Has more spatiality with stronger sensation of three-dimensionalism
  • Is significantly about one notch louder. This is regardless of the Direct Volume Control setting in Poweramp.
  • More mid-forward and vocals centric.
  • Is better at post processing and 'restoration' with DSEE-HX.
  • Is lighter in bass, but more controlled. Less boomy and strong at the same EQ settings, but I think its ceiling is as good.
  • has a burst of hiss whenever connecting an output (at least low impedance ones like my IEMs) unlike the F806
  • Is overall more organic, clean and smooth sounding - more effortless, but with somehow less sense of richness and fill.

Pro & Con list on the other hand:
+ Better screen by far, but with the same overexposure problem. (This seems to be something common to a lot of Sony devices) Superior color and sharpness (despite lower density).
+ Stronger headphone output and Bluetooth delivery (er, does it have AptX support?)
+ Native Hi-Res support (or, at least, supposed to. Native DSD is no go from what I hear here.)
+ Better looking as a whole with the whole brushed-silver-fake-leather look. More premium.
+ Obvious, good feeling, PHYSICAL BUTTONS. That work with third party apps (they emulate a headset input).
+ Larger content capacity at 128GB vs 32GB (64GB on F807)
+ NFC
+ Faster, smoother system experience (4.1.1 Jelly Bean vs 4.0.4 ICS, plus an extra 256MB of RAM with a newer CPU/GPU combo. The 512MB of RAM in the F806 is a major deficit.)
+ Faster transfer and wireless performance.
| Android system buttons are virtual. This is a like or dislike aspect but I prefer fixed physical ones. Allows Google Now gesture though.
| Larger screen. Again a matter of preference. I don't care much for it here. This is a DAP, not a games device.
| Rear, centered speaker. Both have similar sounding speakers actually, but I prefer the placement on the F806.
| Rear lower hump. Matter of taste, but its for component separation. Helps grip, but again a matter of taste if you like it or not.
- No FM Radio. (This is a major dent, but not a hole, for the ZX1. But it's likely to reduce interference and it's meant for HRA anyway.
- Larger footprint. Significantly. Total volume is larger, and so is the weight.
- Worse durability. (Sure, brushed aluminum looks great, but the magnesium alloy body of the F806 is far sturdier. ZX1s will pick up major scuffs, chips, dents, etc. just like every iPhone you've seen. Especially when dropped.
- Smaller system allocated partition. Well, this is a plus if you don't care about installing some apps.
- Price is substantially higher.
So that's my pro & con list for the F806-ZX1 comparison. Note that I'm not counting sound signature as a point in either way. Just remember both are different market classes. Anyhow, I'm overall still pleased and satisfied with the ZX1.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #14,713 of 37,593
Excellent write up salanos! 

Thanks. I made a minor edit though. Since I'm obsessive about such things I realized I should've tried a more direct comparison with DVC disabled on both (I use DVC disabled on the F806 normally.) The ZX1's bass isn't much weaker, if at all perceivable by me, than the F806, but it does sound tighter - less lingering boom.
The other aspects still hold up apart from the volume - the F806 is definitely softer at the same system volume, but not as much as I was thinking previously, likely due to DVC (which increases volume by about two or three notches).
Please note that I've only tried it out with my Aurvana inEar3 and XBA-3s, that is, IEMs. Not yet with the ATH-m50. I'd like to get around to that sometime. Regardless, I'd like to mention that the CAurv-iE3s are an excellent match to the ZX1 in their unique way, in my opinion. Though of course if you're the sort to buy this kind of pricey DAP you're unlikely to be searching for "value enthusiast" IEMs.

Regarding DVC - I find that it weakens the bass strength a little, but increases the ceiling clipping limit for the equalizer allowing you to increase bass frequencies further without causing easily audible clipping. It also fills out the midrange a bit more, but I also note that DVC audibly clips/distorts if you set the player volume to full (i.e. Music/Games in the WALKMAN's volume control applet).

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #14,714 of 37,593
Just came in from a hike and having a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild and tuning out for a short time while alone...thought I'd share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back