Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jun 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #12,691 of 37,584

I can't tell which way @seeteeyou is leaning towards w.r.t. my question 
rolleyes.gif
. But what you're quite right that components the way are relevant to ensure no bottle necks. Which is why I'm generally not so keen on expensive cables that are terminated with gold plated plugs.

The purpose of gold-plated plugs aren't meant to improve sound quality, although some may argue that point. Any cable maker or plug manufacturer worth their salt are doing so for the simple reason of degradation prevention (erosion, tarnishing, etc.). As for the wire composition, that is what we fanatics like to debate, but yes you are correct gold is scientifically not as conductive, which may explain why it has sound characteristics of its own.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #12,692 of 37,584

The purpose of gold-plated plugs aren't meant to improve sound quality, although some may argue that point. Any cable maker or plug manufacturer worth their salt are doing so for the simple reason of degradation prevention (erosion, tarnishing, etc.). As for the wire composition, that is what we fanatics like to debate, but yes you are correct gold is scientifically not as conductive, which may explain why it has sound characteristics of its own.

Yes I know gold plated plugs are for durability however not the way it's marketed.

My point being if we're going to have "high end" cables, I'd prefer if they're terminated with rhodium which to -me- sounds better (admittedly marginally but hey, if we're extravagant on cables, why saving at the plugs).

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #12,693 of 37,584
The DITAs take a while to burn in/open up. I am looking forward to your impressions.

I found the reference tips great at first, but now find the large bore tips sound great, and the double flange.

I have to admit that I don't like the tips I'm using at the moment. Even on large, the left keeps popping out of my ear. I think I'll try the spinfits on them but been too lazy to find my spinfits somewhere in my drawer.

I got some XL(?) or LL sony tips (theres a photo in the DITA-the Truth thread of the packaging) that were close in sound to the reference tips, they fit much better.

I find that I have to slide the DITAs in, vertically down to get a good fit. Usually i push tips in straight, or from the back of the ear towards the front.

Please try Ortofon tips for your Dita , you will like it more :D

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #12,694 of 37,584

Yes I know gold plated plugs are for durability however not the way it's marketed.

My point being if we're going to have "high end" cables, I'd prefer if they're terminated with rhodium which to -me- sounds better (admittedly marginally but hey, if we're extravagant on cables, why saving at the plugs).

Rhodium plating is even more durable than gold plating, which is why it was introduced. Again not for what it does to sound. I agree, rhodium is much more suitable for "high end" cables.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #12,695 of 37,584
Speaking of ultimate, these guys reminded me the Gold Saint of the latest CG movie Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary

T1uDc1FfBcXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_460x460.jpg

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36045054624

TB2XnWJXVXXXXbfXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!22660051.jpg_460x460.jpg

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39529115090

source.jpg

http://www.rhapsodiohk.com/products/536094eb131166dbda000027

Ha, the prices must be crazy, i can't afford them lol.
I'm considering picking either silver dragon or twag/twau for my fitear.

Btw, speaking of ultimate..
You can go to jaben indonesia and ask them to try their most expensive cable.
The name's crystal cable diamond reference something something, if i remember correctly.
Damsge cost? About 3000usd.
Yes, it's that crazy. I think Sir Rudi have write his impression about that cable a few pages back.

Yoho, and anakchan, i don't really understand that conducting thing (i'm an economic-finance student in my university, lol) but even my bad ears still can hear the difference between using crystal, and stock, and silver dragon one using jaben's demo of Jh5.

But still.. I think the price is crazy,, i can fly to US and back with that money..

And yes, if we are extravagant on our cables, why saving on plugs? Lol, this is the main reason why i'm looking for the ultimate plug to pair with my to-be custom cables.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #12,696 of 37,584
Rhodium plating is even more durable than gold plating, which is why it was introduced. Again not for what it does to sound. I agree, rhodium is much more suitable for "high end" cables.

It is more durable, indeed.. But i have seen some rhodium plugs raped to the core when i can even see it's copper core..
I guess it is about our handling.. How matter the durable your jack are, if you are harassing it so much, it will break too,,

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #12,697 of 37,584
It is more durable, indeed.. But i have seen some rhodium plugs raped to the core when i can even see it's copper core..
I guess it is about our handling.. How matter the durable your jack are, if you are harassing it so much, it will break too,,

Some off brand companies will say their connectors are rhodium plated but they're really just nickel.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #12,698 of 37,584

OK so to dispense with the "concept" but with practical experience (mine at least) :-

1) Rhodium sounds nicer than gold plating
2) Although Rhodium is supposed to be more durable than gold plated, so far that's not been the case with both my Oyaide & ATL. Here's how my ATL looks like now :-

(but hey, when it's plugged into my DAP or amp, at least the part sticking out looks nice and shiny :D)

Please try Ortofon tips for your Dita , you will like it more 
biggrin.gif

I just put some Spinfit tips on the Ditas and they stay in my ears well.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #12,699 of 37,584
OK so to dispense with the "concept" but with practical experience (mine at least) :-

2) Although Rhodium is supposed to be more durable than gold plated, so far that's not been the case with both my Oyaide & ATL. Here's how my ATL looks like now :-

(but hey, when it's plugged into my DAP or amp, at least the part sticking out looks nice and shiny :D)

Oof, straight to the heart, i guess :wink: (in my country, it's quite taboo for us to say anything negative to one brand frontally, i guess this is head-fi, after all.)
But yes, oyaide, acrolink, furutech, they are the brands i've tried, and all of those brands show the same symptoms just like your photo.
Some off brand companies will say their connectors are rhodium plated but they're really just nickel.

Err, and think about it, would a company that sells its product for 10-30us$ Are still using nickel but advert it as rhodium? And to think of oyaide and moreover, furutech.. I guess not.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #12,700 of 37,584

Is Rhodium more durable? Mine chipped away pretty quickly.

Aaaand that happened to me as well. :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #12,701 of 37,584
  Is Rhodium more durable? Mine chipped away pretty quickly.

Aaaand that happened to me as well. :frowning2:

This is part of the reason why I didn't want to use the word, durability because it really is the wrong word to use here. As I said before rhodium has better resistances to degradation such as oxidation, tarnishing, and erosion. Like gold, it is MUCH better than silver, nickel, and especially brass. In regards to durability as a whole, well that depends on a few factors.

1) The quality and strength of the actual coating (plating). Some plugs have better quality plating than others, don't ask me which plugs because I've used only a handful. 
2) The quality of your individual jacks. Some jacks are spec'd tighter than others, meaning that they are made to fit more snug (secure). There is also the question of whether or not the jack is all metal, plastic, etc. These factors coupled together could scrap the jack each time you plug and unplug your jack. Over time, sometimes very quickly, the jack's plating starts to come off. You understand where I'm going with this...

In terms of sound difference, I won't get into that. But I just want to say this: those of you that are not aware, the pictures like the one Anak posted.. should have very little to no effect on the sound quality of that particular jack. As some of you have mentioned, some of these rhodium plated jacks have been somewhat fragile, well.. as long as the contact points are not effected there should be very little problem if at all. If you don't know what I mean by contact points, well look at the picture. The contact points are the two blue lines. That is the ONLY place that the plug and the headphone jack make contact. The rest of the plug is just the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back