Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 4, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #28,006 of 37,566
Man, you gotta tell me how the Oriolus sounds... I was just looking to purchase one soon. How I slept on this amp is anyone's guess.
Listened to this for a couple of hours already. Hooked up to a WM1A, with a new supplied PW Audio interconnect cable that has an additional 3.5mm ground.
The sound stage was good but not night and day, but the extra headroom helped give the Meze 99 a slight bit more expansive sound. My Meze cable is a balanced 2.5 that's been re-terminated to 4.4.
But I found the amp a little peaky when it shouldn't be. Didn't have the slightly warm and rolled off tube sound I was looking for, unlike the ALO CV5. Background was quite dark but didn't feel dark enough. Wondering if it's a result of the 4.4 connector. I found that my IEMs became brighter and more lively after re-termination to 4.4... Was not always ideal.
But it's brand new, and I'm expecting the bottom to settle a bit better after a burn in.
It's fed better without high gain from the WM1A, according to my ears. Seems to have slightly better separation among the low ends on normal gain.
In all, I didn't not enjoy it... But was expecting to be more impressed but right now, it just feels adequate. Hoping the burn in will help.
Tonight's listening was with Meze 99, Dita Brass, IT04, Witch Girl Pro and Z5. Liked the Dita and Z5 best. Did not synergise well with the Witch Girl... Low frequencies sounded veiled... Which is weird.
Tomorrow will try with Z1R and Nighthawk. Weekend will bring home the HD800 and try.

To keep it thread relevant, I'll post more pics. I promise.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #28,007 of 37,566
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #28,008 of 37,566
Listened to this for a couple of hours already. Hooked up to a WM1A, with a new supplied PW Audio interconnect cable that has an additional 3.5mm ground.
The sound stage was good but not night and day, but the extra headroom helped give the Meze 99 a slight bit more expansive sound. My Meze cable is a balanced 2.5 that's been re-terminated to 4.4.
But I found the amp a little peaky when it shouldn't be. Didn't have the slightly warm and rolled off tube sound I was looking for, unlike the ALO CV5. Background was quite dark but didn't feel dark enough. Wondering if it's a result of the 4.4 connector. I found that my IEMs became brighter and more lively after re-termination to 4.4... Was not always ideal.
But it's brand new, and I'm expecting the bottom to settle a bit better after a burn in.
It's fed better without high gain from the WM1A, according to my ears. Seems to have slightly better separation among the low ends on normal gain.
In all, I didn't not enjoy it... But was expecting to be more impressed but right now, it just feels adequate. Hoping the burn in will help.
Tonight's listening was with Meze 99, Dita Brass, IT04, Witch Girl Pro and Z5. Liked the Dita and Z5 best. Did not synergise well with the Witch Girl... Low frequencies sounded veiled... Which is weird.
Tomorrow will try with Z1R and Nighthawk. Weekend will bring home the HD800 and try.

To keep it thread relevant, I'll post more pics. I promise.
Thanks for this... I'm betting the Oriolus needs more burn in time... Hopefully it begins to get better for ya. Cheers.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #28,009 of 37,566
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #28,010 of 37,566
My portable set up.

Is that your party trick - pulling the cloth away v fast ? Nice.

20190704_215759.jpg

I also have a J3 in the car but didn't want to show off :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #28,015 of 37,566
l3oYqMt.jpg

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #28,016 of 37,566
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #28,020 of 37,566

wow, the u18t with the 8 wire leo -- how is it? 4 wire was a little...underwhelming. nice and silky but not as wide and holographic as I'd like to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back