Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #26,956 of 37,599
I recently decided that apart from my usual portable setup, I wanted something specifically tailored to training: as small and light as possible, and still with great sound. I might turn it into a small review series, as it is really interesting to explore what works well for training. My first setup is the Shanling M0 paired with the Final E4000. Great sound with lots of energy and details come through very well, even when running outside.

M0_E4000.png

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #26,957 of 37,599
I recently decided that apart from my usual portable setup, I wanted something specifically tailored to training: as small and light as possible, and still with great sound. I might turn it into a small review series, as it is really interesting to explore what works well for training. My first setup is the Shanling M0 paired with the Final E4000. Great sound with lots of energy and details come through very well, even when running outside.

I'll join ya on that. Got a M0 being delivered tomorrow that will be used for the gym.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #26,958 of 37,599
I'll join ya on that. Got a M0 being delivered tomorrow that will be used for the gym.
It works great! I don't have the clip for it yet, but it is so small that it can go in any pocket (even those small ones meant for keys). The sound is great and I had no issues driving the E4000, which do like a little bit of extra power.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #26,959 of 37,599

I think good sound while doing anything outside of just sitting and listening is important but when one is exerting oneself how critical of listening does one do? Guess what I'm saying for me (not anyone else per say) A Benjie S5 and KZ ZS4's are the reasonable combo and sensible $$$ wise for these types of environments, no where near the bragging rights but then again from every place I've ever worked out my <$40 rig pretty much beats what anyone else in the place is wearing:wink:

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #26,960 of 37,599
I think good sound while doing anything outside of just sitting and listening is important but when one is exerting oneself how critical of listening does one do? Guess what I'm saying for me (not anyone else per say) A Benjie S5 and KZ ZS4's are the reasonable combo and sensible $$$ wise for these types of environments, no where near the bragging rights but then again from every place I've ever worked out my <$40 rig pretty much beats what anyone else in the place is wearing:wink:
That is a really good point and exactly why I have been toying with the idea of reviewing training setups. When you exercise and your attention is on that rather than the music, lots of subtle details get lost. So my daily drivers, the Empire Ears Phantom, are useless because those are about subtle details (not to mention that I don't trust the shells to stand up to any abuse). There are however areas where I think it is really worth investing in, such as the quality of the bass and level of detail and clarity. The physicality of the bass can help a track resonate, psyching you up, getting the adrenalin going. That then needs to be complimented by good clarity and details that come through easily. I found that going from the Final E2000, which I bought initially, to the E4000 and for a few weeks the E5000, the music kept getting more engaging and worked more effectively to help me push on.

Of course that is also highly dependent on the music. So one of my favourite tracks at the moment is Neffex 'Never Give Up' (YouTube) where the E4000 give a really good physical sense of the bass and convey the energy of the track really well, even when I am focusing on technique. Now, if I could get the sort of bass of the Empire Ears Legend X in the small form factor of the E4000, I think that would be amazing. It is unrealistic, but that was what made me curious about what options are available.

Also important are practical aspects. So for instance the E4000 are not just very small and light, they are vented in a way that very little pressure is built up in my ears and that makes it more comfortable when moving around.

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #26,961 of 37,599
Jan 8, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #26,962 of 37,599
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #26,963 of 37,599
Man, I like this case you have. I go by the Army/Navy surplus store here all the time and see these military grade cases all the time...its time to get one and class up my transport bag a bit...

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #26,964 of 37,599

Asus Fonepad 8, Teac HA-P50, Grado SR60e
great amp/dac in the p50...i swear by these for the pure functionality of them. I use my Ibasso DX90 on optical with these. They're amazing.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #26,965 of 37,599
Man, cables make all the difference! Sure its not as organic sounding as my other balanced cable but it makes up for transparency, speed and tighter bass.
9myqr2nx2c921.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #26,967 of 37,599
Thank you! :)

Your shot is also very clean! :)

Is the Queen good? I haven't tried it yet, but it seems people like it quite a lot

Thank you Sir but the iPhone 6 camera does not hold a candle to your photography work on here:blush:

The Queen's are my fave of the TFZither line so far but I've also not tried the King's which by what I've read in reviews out here are maybe their best. My first and you can still see them in this photo were the original Series 1 in Carbon Fiber finish, I was very disappointed in the Series 1S not so much for the sound but that the silver cable was the fastest silver cable to turn totally green and I ended up giving them to my children to use/enjoy/abuse:smirk: LOL I bought the Series II SE and did not find them special or any better than the original S1's and then I took the plunge on the Flagship Secret Garden's and if you are a top end/Mid Range lover they are spot on but for most I would think they are bass deficient:astonished: They are also a beautiful iem to say the least but if you require bass I'd steer clear on this one.

T Family Zither.JPG

I just wanted to chime back in here and give credit where credit is due and not scare anyone away from the Secret Garden's because they are really a nice iem for the price, At low level listening their detail retrieval is awesome and at low level they have very good bass (solid and realistic):thumbsup: I am so tempted to jump on the new Secret Garden 3's for $280 out on MassDrop right now, with three top quality Knowles BA's this may really raise these to a whole new level and of course at $280 that would be logical:thinking:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #26,969 of 37,599
Wrapping up the last few listening sessions before these need to go back to Jomo, but what a treat they have been!

Best purple I've seen yet, of course one should always clarify on that name as just the mere mention of Trinity can send some into a downward spiral:hushed:

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #26,970 of 37,599
Best purple I've seen yet, of course one should always clarify on that name as just the mere mention of Trinity can send some into a downward spiral:hushed:
Yeah, finally been able to capture the purple properly. In my initial snaps it almost turned into blue.

Haha! I remember that Trinity, I had the Vyrus myself. So indeed, these are the Jomo Audio Trinity. So called because of the triple hybrid design. They are "safe". :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back