Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #18,496 of 37,437
Okay, can you share how you got 128gb in there?

Oh, there are a lot of resources on upgrading iPods here. Just use the search function. The highest I've seen on these is 256.

Simply put all you need to do is open up the iPod and have a ad card and a compact flash converter.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #18,497 of 37,437
Oh, there are a lot of resources on upgrading iPods here. Just use the search function. The highest I've seen on these is 256.

Simply put all you need to do is open up the iPod and have a ad card and a compact flash converter.

I had no idea this was a thing. I feel behind on the times. Thanks for the heads up

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #18,498 of 37,437
was lurking on ars technica forum in the AV forum and there's a thread asking about replacing an iPod classic. 

he lists all of his requirements and preferences and he's basically describing a new DAP like a Fiio, PonoPlayer, or A&K Jr.

there's several pages of replies with no mention of any new DAP, any new music product, anything about lossless, just trying to relive 2004 for this poor guy.

they are saying things like "sorry man, apple killed the iPod so you have no choice but to use your phone".

someone finally mentions the A&K Jr. and of course people start chirping that it's a rip off and no one needs hi-res anyway. 

crazy..... here are the actual potential customers of the product and they don't even understand or believe that it exists. it's a gadget, but because it's audio they don't believe it. very strange.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #18,499 of 37,437
ars technica is very science oriented. Saying something sounds better without level matched blind testing it is a no go for them. You will always be welcome to prove them wrong and they will listen, but you better back it up with evidence.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #18,500 of 37,437
I understand the argument of 320 mp3 vs Flac or DSD but anyone with a decent ear can tell the difference between a mediocre DAC and one that is specialized for better audio output. It's just that most ppl don't have a good enough hearing to ever tell the difference. That's really the reason 90% of the public is happy with stock Apple earbuds and another 8% that only rocks the Beats.The other 2% are us crazy audiophiles mostly congregated on this site.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #18,501 of 37,437
How do you know if it's a good DAC, mediocre DAC or hyped DAC? There is a circuit designed to bridge the dac and your ears, and in between many things come into play (caps or no caps, op amps, etc). When the sound is coloured along the audio path, the end results may not be a true reflection of the DAC performance. It's more about execution of the design and implement of the audio path. That said, there are dudes who enjoy certain types of coloured sound (aka EQ'ed, either knowingly or unknowingly thru hardware or software, which is perfectly normal) and the hype might just capitalize on selling the dac or whatever. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #18,503 of 37,437
  How do you know if it's a good DAC, mediocre DAC or hyped DAC? There is a circuit designed to bridge the dac and your ears, and in between many things come into play (caps or no caps, op amps, etc). When the sound is coloured along the audio path, the end results may not be a true reflection of the DAC performance. It's more about execution of the design and implement of the audio path. That said, there are dudes who enjoy certain types of coloured sound (aka EQ'ed, either knowingly or unknowingly thru hardware or software, which is perfectly normal) and the hype might just capitalize on selling the dac or whatever. 

There is a marked improvement between an average laptops or a mood range cell phones DAC and something with a Wolfs, Sabre or a TI Burr Brown DAC for example. Also most consumer DACs can't play DSD or PCM natively.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #18,505 of 37,437
ars technica is very science oriented. Saying something sounds better without level matched blind testing it is a no go for them. You will always be welcome to prove them wrong and they will listen, but you better back it up with evidence.

I tried explaining more than once that their blind tests were the problem.  I truly believe you can't use an large-scale ABX listening test to determine if quality exists.  It's not for that. You can use them yourself when making production decisions, and of course you can test your ears all you want to determine which type of playback you have/want, but this stupid belief that it's not real science if you can't reproduce it in an ABX test is really the root of the problem in audio.

You can't prove anything positive in an ABX test. Find me one that shows people hear anything reliably. There are none, all they show is statistical mush because they are highly flawed.

This hasn't stopped certain types from using the ABX test as a hammer that continually claims quality does not exist. But quality does exist. If the test can't prove it, then the test is useless.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #18,506 of 37,437
  was lurking on ars technica forum in the AV forum and there's a thread asking about replacing an iPod classic. 

he lists all of his requirements and preferences and he's basically describing a new DAP like a Fiio, PonoPlayer, or A&K Jr.

there's several pages of replies with no mention of any new DAP, any new music product, anything about lossless, just trying to relive 2004 for this poor guy.

they are saying things like "sorry man, apple killed the iPod so you have no choice but to use your phone".

someone finally mentions the A&K Jr. and of course people start chirping that it's a rip off and no one needs hi-res anyway. 

crazy..... here are the actual potential customers of the product and they don't even understand or believe that it exists. it's a gadget, but because it's audio they don't believe it. very strange.

Have you considered sony walkman ZX or A10/A20 series?

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #18,508 of 37,437
NMXk46m.jpg

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #18,510 of 37,437

There is a marked improvement between an average laptops or a mood range cell phones DAC and something with a Wolfs, Sabre or a TI Burr Brown DAC for example. Also most consumer DACs can't play DSD or PCM natively.

The only way you can mark improvement from one DAC to another is to have everything else implemented exactly the same except the DAC. Let me know if this has been done and I will be interested in the findings. Otherwise any marked improvements could be compounded improvements not necessarily from the DAC or from the DAC alone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back