Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jul 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5,536 of 7,509
what's better: turning your source all the way up and then your external amp? or turn your external amp up and lower your source? if there was no *hiss* :)
or does it matter at all?

Ideally source volume should be as high as possible, but if (like Morbid just illustrated) overload the input of the amp then the volume is too high.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #5,539 of 7,509
Quote:
Usually amp control is the way to go (ie. Source at max), but with the Clip+ I found that it starts to clip and sound terrible if you go too high. 

You can easily avoid that, even without Rockbox,  if you take advantage of ReplayGain.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5,543 of 7,509
Quote:
Where can you find replaygain? Is it under crosfeed? Or is it in the normal software on the clip+

In Rockbox it is in the playback settings menu. And once you getinto the Replaygain section, there is an option "prevent clipping". The normal Clip+ firmware also has RG, but it's been too long for me  to remember exactly where to find it.

Of course, using ReplayGain requires you to have your files ready for it......
http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/Replay-Gain.html

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #5,544 of 7,509
My Clip+ is Rockboxed and I set the volume of it to 0db feeding into the FiiO E11.
I believe the volume will max out at +6db. I never get to turn the E11 up past 4 / 5 as it gets too loud for my ears.

From the Clip+ Rockbox Manual...

This setting adjusts the volume of your music. Like most professional audio gear and many consumer audio products, Rockbox uses a decibel scale where 0 dB is a reference that indicates the maximum volume that the player can produce without possible distortion (clipping). All values lower than this reference will be negative and yield a progressively softer volume. Values higher than 0 dB are available and can be used to raise the volume more than would otherwise be possible. These volume levels will ordinarily lead to distorted sound, but might work nicely for music that has an otherwise low volume level. The volume can be adjusted from a minimum of -74 dB to a maximum of +6 dB.

An Excellent read if you haven't yet read it. 
wink_face.gif

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-build.html

And now back to the "Pictures of Your Portable Rig" 
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #5,545 of 7,509
Quote:
nice *cough* "iPod Video" 
biggrin.gif
 Almost looks like an iPhone...

Whoops. I completely forgot I had my iPhone in that rig. Forgot to switch it out! 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,546 of 7,509
Jul 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5,547 of 7,509
Quote:
what's better: turning your source all the way up and then your external amp? or turn your external amp up and lower your source? if there was no *hiss* :)
or does it matter at all?

Sorry I went offline missing this last night.
smile.gif

I've tried both ways and to be honest there's not much difference. I tried setting an E11 to 6/8 and using the source which certainly helps limit distortion however because I like using the E11 volume knob I usually turn the source up about 3/4 or for higher impedance you can go a little higher. At the moment because I use stock sansa firmware I turn the volume all the way up on the clip+ then back of five clicks downwards. You can actually test these limits.

What you do is set your amp to full volume. then bring the source up click by click until you hear distortion, when you hear it back off two clicks, leave it at that setting. That way you now have an amp that can run at full volume. Of course you can give lee way a little but your ears will tell you what's right. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #5,548 of 7,509

Still no voodoo but kernel Siyah 1.3.3 is indeed brilliant recycle of code from voodoo...

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #5,550 of 7,509
Sorry I went offline missing this last night.:smile:

I've tried both ways and to be honest there's not much difference. I tried setting an E11 to 6/8 and using the source which certainly helps limit distortion however because I like using the E11 volume knob I usually turn the source up about 3/4 or for higher impedance you can go a little higher. At the moment because I use stock sansa firmware I turn the volume all the way up on the clip+ then back of five clicks downwards. You can actually test these limits.

What you do is set your amp to full volume. then bring the source up click by click until you hear distortion, when you hear it back off two clicks, leave it at that setting. That way you now have an amp that can run at full volume. Of course you can give lee way a little but your ears will tell you what's right. 

I tried this and i found out that the best volume for the sansa is 0 (rockboxed) and then control the volume on my E5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back