Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jun 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #287 of 7,509
A gold Nano would match your rig perfectly 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

iPod Nano 16GB > iBasso CB07 > iBasso T3 > MTPG

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #288 of 7,509
Very humble set-up

iPod Touch G4 >  LOD > Fiio E11 > Shure SE425  (or SRH840's for around the house)

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #290 of 7,509
Quote:
So Shure has resorted to applying heat-shrink tubing on their new IEMs... Huh... Interesting way to solve the cracking cable problem...

I had a pair of 535s and I think its just to attach the memory wire.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #291 of 7,509
So the memory wire is not inside the cable like the Triple.Fi-10 and needs to be secured by wrapping heat-shrink tubing around it? That's... They really should sound good, yeah, but if that is indeed the construction then I'd really like to know how Shure, big company and all, chose to simply put the wire outside the actual cable.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #292 of 7,509
Quote:
So the memory wire is not inside the cable like the Triple.Fi-10 and needs to be secured by wrapping heat-shrink tubing around it? That's... They really should sound good, yeah, but if that is indeed the construction then I'd really like to know how Shure, big company and all, chose to simply put the wire outside the actual cable.

It think it is.  I never cut it open to find out, but that's how it felt.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #293 of 7,509

Quote:
So Shure has resorted to applying heat-shrink tubing on their new IEMs... Huh... Interesting way to solve the cracking cable problem...

No - as Mav pointed out - the additional next to the air piece is for the memory wire.  Also the cables have been redone.  They are supposed to be reinforced with kevlar now as well.  I had the 420's before I got the 425's - and so far, the cables do seem to be a lot better.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #294 of 7,509

Quote:
Thank you, sir, that is most awesome. I believe I saw a Studer once, two-inch tape running at either 30 or 45 ips. It would seem that on full-speed, a full roll of tape can only record for ten minutes.
Stella... That's Sonosax, right? I only knew of them through the DAT ages, the StellaDAT (and the following II).
Very few people record with tapes and R2Rs these days especially with the wide availability of high bit-rate digital recorders. Stella and Nagra together. I only have a WM-D6C and the recording function is bust.
May I ask what microphones are you using?

Thank you very much for these impressive pictures.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. That is a Stellavox.  It was an original SP7 but I sent it to Switzerland last year and it took about 6 months to convert it to a SM7.  About the mics, it just depends on where I will be recording.  My go to mic is AT 4033 and Sennheiser 406T.  I hang out at Location Sound Corp in Los Angeles a lot.  If I know it is going to be a really good performance I will get a set of Schoeps CMC6-MK4 capsules.  I think the Schoeps are probably the best mics I have used for recording.  They are just so expensive.  When I say I use my Sound Devices 702 as a back up, I'm actually using it during the performance with its own mics.  Each machine has it's own unique sound.  I have a couple of Nagras and they have the wider two track and have been converted meaning they don't have the center track for film recording.  So they are just designed for music recording.  And the Nagras I use separate mics for as well.  It looks funny when I'm recording because sometimes I have three sets of mics set up on the mic stand. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #295 of 7,509
Oh it's the SennPens... They look sorta like pens to me.
I guess Sony's Plug-in-Power isn't a good way to try out microphones. I stand there with an ECM-MS907 while looking funny. I seriously need the Phantom-XLR box but the price! Dear.
I have yet to discover the PCM-D50's inner "house sound". Many users with the D50 and the Phantom box suggest Church Audio. Would you have some experience with this brand?

Very impressive setup, sir.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #296 of 7,509

Quote:
Oh it's the SennPens... They look sorta like pens to me.
I guess Sony's Plug-in-Power isn't a good way to try out microphones. I stand there with an ECM-MS907 while looking funny. I seriously need the Phantom-XLR box but the price! Dear.
I have yet to discover the PCM-D50's inner "house sound". Many users with the D50 and the Phantom box suggest Church Audio. Would you have some experience with this brand?

Very impressive setup, sir.

No, I don't have any experience with that type of equipment.  What is unique about the Nagra, Stellavox, and Sound Devices is that their internal pre-amps meaning 48 phantom are unbelievable and very quiet.   

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #297 of 7,509

Quote:
No, I don't have any experience with that type of equipment.  What is unique about the Nagra, Stellavox, and Sound Devices is that their internal pre-amps meaning 48 phantom are unbelievable and very quiet.   

I do have a Sony TC-D5 that I use sometimes during rehearsal.  I have a set of Rode mics they are the M3 series meaning they are self powered.  They use a 9 volt battery or they are 48 phantom too.  And those sound really good for being self powered.  If you can get a set of those that would be a good choice.  Sometimes you can find them at a good price.  

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #298 of 7,509

Quote:
I do have a Sony TC-D5 that I use sometimes during rehearsal.  I have a set of Rode mics they are the M3 series meaning they are self powered.  They use a 9 volt battery or they are 48 phantom too.  And those sound really good for being self powered.  If you can get a set of those that would be a good choice.  Sometimes you can find them at a good price.  

I looked up your Sony digital recorder and that is a very nice unit.  There is probably a better mic that Rode makes called the NT4 that would be a better mic for that unit.  It has both mini and XLR jacks and it is self powered or phantom.  It is an all in one stereo mic very unique.  I think your Sony may have enough current to power the mic.  Or just use the 9 volt battery system in the mic.  I hope this helps.  Maybe your local music store may have one.  It is a very popular mic.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back