Quote:
Ok I realise I suck at product shots 
biggrin.gif

That's one cool case.
So cool I ordered one for my iPod 5.5G.

biggrin.gif

May 30, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #212 of 7,509

Quote:
Actually, when i built the Mini^3, i wasnt satisfied. i figured out that the default LOD caps were compressing everything, making the sound congested.
basically, this is just a desperate attempt to get the default caps off. and also, the LOD also contains Ceramic caps inside (i know, ceramics might be a big No No, but, i was desparate)
So its like 25 V 100uF caps and .1uF ceramics.
when i used these Vishay Caps without the .1uF ones, the sound wasnt complete, it was like the Caps were eating a part of the spectrum.
using the .1uF ones had alot of treble, but very less bass. i saw that 10uF caps when used to bypass .1uF Polypropylene caps had more bass, i heard bass that i hadn't had on the RE0s before.
i am basically going to experiment alot with the Caps on LODs in a few days. targets would be 100uF Nichicon Caps (Bipolar Muse series) and the Caps in the LOD that ClieOS had.
using just electrolytics seems to kill the treble in my songs.

you know, theres some pretty well documented science that explains what you have found out and will predict the basic experiments you will do. the input impedance of your amp combined with the output impedance of the DAP and the caps form a high pass filter. using 100uf is just going to be less linear for no reason versus 5-10 uf. youve already tried about as good as it gets for an lod, a 5-10uf electro bypassed with a >.1uf polypropylene. all film would be better, but thats not gonna fit in the lod. high quality ceramics really arent that bad, i prefer film for analogue filter, but np0/c0g are pretty decent for bypass, almost nothing worse than crappy ceramics though

nothing wrong with experimenting of course. if you want an excel file that will help you to calculate cap size vs input impedance (generally the value of your pot) shoot me a pm with your email; i'll forward it to you.

May 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #213 of 7,509
Here's mine:

Apple iPhone 4 16gb
Qables Copper LOD
Graham Slee Voyager
Sennheiser HD-25-1-II

May 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #214 of 7,509
@qusp,
i have been reading on that matter. Tangent said Electrolytics distort. My setup currently distorts with the non audio grade caps that i use, and i *hope* only the electrolytics and ceramics that i am using are the culprit (yup, they are cheap ones)
I read that 1/2piRC formula for the corner frequency. Element14 (Farnell) and RS Components do not have the Nichicon ES bipolars. So i am going to order:
i)Wima 1uF Film (must be some way to use them on the fuze LOD)
ii) OxiCap + Wima
iii)Nichicon ES from ebay (have no other option).
Also, these 6.3V 10uF Nichicons would be good right?
Another head fier in the same thread posted that higher capacitence helps with distortion?

May 31, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #215 of 7,509

Another old rig.....Clip 1G & Kramer Modded KSC75

May 31, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #216 of 7,509

Simplicity

May 31, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #217 of 7,509

Quote:

Simplicity

Why for use such good cabling and plugs if you spoil it with a generic extension cable? But that is one pretty rig.

May 31, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #218 of 7,509
I was thinking the same thing... Maybe he hears an increase in sound quality with the generic. :wink:
Quote:
Why for use such good cabling and plugs if you spoil it with a generic extension cable? But that is one pretty rig.

May 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #221 of 7,509
May 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #223 of 7,509
This is not my serious rig. It only for ultra portable use when it not practical to carry my h140 and d10 out. The extension cable is made by monster. That the best i can get. If only there is a 3.5mm jack that is small in diameter.

Anyway, i doubt there is a better looking case to my eye imo
http://www.elementcase.com/product-p/api4-1110-kbmf.htm

May 31, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #225 of 7,509
Very much a work in progress

iPod Classic, generic LOD (FiiO L9 inbound), SoundMAGIC A10 (to be replaced by Arrow 4G when available) and Westone 4.

If anyone could tell me where I could get some black silicone bands for not much I'd appreciate it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back