Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Dec 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #1,262 of 3,551
Thank you everyone for the kind compliments!! I'm really happy that you guys appreciate it.

Quote:
Quote:
Well... I'm not really sure if this qualifies as being high-end, but anyway, here's my contribution (sorry about the pictures; I couldn't find my tripod)! That's the living room system, so there are no headphones there, which are reserved for my bedroom set-up.

You definitely need a larger T.V.!  Get this man a projector, STAT!
popcorn.gif

Hahaha I know, it could be larger! The thing is that the room is actually quite bright during the day, because it's like a mezzanine in the actual living room, which has a glass roof, and the curtains on it are just for blocking direct sunlight and they allow a lot of brightness to come in. So we thought it would be better to get a TV so that we can use it during the day as well! But I won't deny that a much bigger screen would be more than welcome
biggrin.gif

Quote:
These speakers defy what admittedly little I know about cabinent desgin... how do they work!?

Quote:

They are quite different from the usual rule in the sense that they're dipolar. The problem of using a cabinet is that, dampened and hardened as it might be, it will always resonate and therefore add its own colouration to the sound. The benefits of not using a cabinet are no cabinet-induced coloration and also a somewhat greater sense of "realness" to the sound because it also comes from the back of the speakers (phase inverted though), and then it gets reflected off the back walls as well, sort of more like a real sound source would behave. The catch is that the encounter of opposite phase sounds cuts the bass below 300Hz or something. What Jamo did to get past the problem is, to put it simply, use really large bass drivers, which are also more sensitive than the midrange unit and tweeter. The result is that its bass extention is actually really amazing! In fact, they received an EISA award for this, I think in 2009.
The speakers came with a CD with a lot of information on the technical side and I've uploaded it, if you're interested. It explains a lot in a way I wouldn't be able to!
Here it is: http://www.4shared.com/document/VmzqLLPt/R907_technical_description.html

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #1,264 of 3,551
Holy Cow...
Looks so nice I love browsing this thread so many interesting setups and yet I have nothing
tongue.gif

One day!

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #1,265 of 3,551
Since my wife's unemployment 2 years ago, she is always home, either in the living room or clanging in the kitchen (apartment life). So this summer I figured, "Hey, I've got a decent bedroom headphone rig...why not turn part of it into a nearfield speaker experience?"  My living room rig was posted earlier in the thread.

Harbeth P3ESR Monitors, Acoustic Signature Final Tool TT w/Helicon Lyra Cart and JMW 10.5 arm, Exemplar Modded Oppo, Meridian G08, Luxman P-1, PSAudio P500, and Dared 300B Quasi-Monoblocks

Sanus and Salamander furniture and stands, Headphone wiring drooping down from above where a Blue Hawaii BHKE (Blue Hawaii Kerry Edition) resides:

The 300B's are Sophia Princess  

Anthony Gallo Sub set to 1 click in a 12 X 15 bedroom (always wanted something by them):

Custom one off box 2 Blue Hawaii Kerry Edition (equivalent to SE version with Mullard EL-34's) with custom finish blue metallic flake powdercoat finish [looks better in real life]
Headphones include R-10's, Omega I's (yes ones) Jades, Denon Siltech wired D7000's, ESW 9's and 10's (because 9's are not enough 
smile.gif
  B&W P5's, SR- Lambda Pros from the '80's,  Sony PFR-V1's. K1000's.  Toshiba Electret HR-XI's, Beyer T-1's HD HE-6's, HD HE-5LE's, UE-10's, JH−13's, MTPC, ShureE500's and 535's, Ety ER4P's, and some Susnick one off speaker cable.

No more stuff, I promise.

Note: Even though the Harbeths are extremely expensive, they are worth every penny. The nearfield experience using of the Oppo Modded universal player, definitely holds a candle to my Vienna Acoustic surround floor standers in the living room. These are the monitors used in professional studios and are worth every penny. They only go down to 70 Hz and the Anthony Gallo, which is being used to only 1/100 of it's capacity, but I wanted to get the Velodyne MicroVee which has an active 6 1/2" driver with 2 6 1/2" passive drivers and only measure ( 9 1/2 X 9 1/2 X 9 1/2) but was $400 more, so I kept the Gallo. The Gallo really should be being used in the living room but I already have an HGS-10 which is clean ad fast, so it will be used like a major league player playing in high school ball. i appreciate and pet it each day apologizing for the under-use, and I think it forgives me. 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,266 of 3,551
immbiker: that's a lot of beautiful gear!  I love the paint finish on the Blue Hawaii!

Here's my headphone setup. 

Northstar M192MKII => Headamp HGSS => O2 / SPL Auditor => Sennheiser HD650

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,268 of 3,551
     Quote:
immbiker: that's a lot of beautiful gear!  I love the paint finish on the Blue Hawaii!

Thanks man, I believe a Blue Hawaii should be blue. The finisher was very accommodating. Actually, it's the same color as my ZX-14 which looks black in the shade but becomes a different beast in the sun or direct indoor lighting.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #1,269 of 3,551
OMG Aaron, can I come over and listen to your K 10,000's?

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,270 of 3,551
You're a funny guy. A regular Jerry Seinfeld! 
tongue.gif

Tough crowd. One extra zero and you're all over me like white on rice. I wish they would add an extra 0 to my paycheck each week. It shouldn't be hard to do, right?

Just realize that the K10,000's are algorithmically less efficient than the K1000's. They need an amp with at least at least 500,000 watts, otherwise they won't sound as good.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #1,271 of 3,551
immtbiker: that's a great touch to have the blue hawaii match the color of your bike! (an it being a nice blue finish too which works well with the name)  As usual with Kerry's work, it looks and I'm sure sounds awesome!  You've got a great collection of gear and I would need a daily dose of your recreational drug too!   :) 

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #1,274 of 3,551
Hard to see, but is that a Krell amp?  If so, your Maggies now know whose the boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back