Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Sep 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #1,187 of 3,551
Wow Spritzer, that set up is just beautiful!

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #1,188 of 3,551
It shipped! Most excellent  =)

The silver faceplaces and matching tube rings looks really nice.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #1,190 of 3,551

Birgir, very nice and clean rig you got there!
Not sure I have seen a silver-front KGBH SE before, but that looks nice as well.
o2smile.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #1,191 of 3,551
Not just my high end system, but here it is lined up for show:

Speakers! by Blackbeard Ben?, on Flickr

Those Infinity Renaissance 90s (the black floorstanders) are all I could ever want from a pair of speakers.  It's hard for me to imagine anything sounding much better - but that's pretty much the same for everyone's favorite system, right?

They're powered by an Adcom GFA-555 on the bottom and a Carver TFM-15CB on top, with a Carver C-11 preamp.  Working on finding a better source since my NAD 5325, which may have just died for good.

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,192 of 3,551

Quote:
Not just my high end system, but here it is lined up for show:

Speakers! by Blackbeard Ben?, on Flickr

Those Infinity Renaissance 90s (the black floorstanders) are all I could ever want from a pair of speakers.  It's hard for me to imagine anything sounding much better - but that's pretty much the same for everyone's favorite system, right?

They're powered by an Adcom GFA-555 on the bottom and a Carver TFM-15CB on top, with a Carver C-11 preamp.  Working on finding a better source since my NAD 5325, which may have just died for good.

Ummm...don't mean to offend, but with all that equipment there, don't you think it's time to upgrade the TV?
atsmile.gif
Just my two cents.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,194 of 3,551

Quote:

Ummm...don't mean to offend, but with all that equipment there, don't you think it's time to upgrade the TV?
atsmile.gif
Just my two cents.

Meh... I don't watch TV except for college sports anyway.  My roommate was always watching it - annoyed the hell out of me when he was playing WoW at the same time.  Yeah, he was the typical overweight, messy RPG/MMPORG nerdy type.  Not like I have any room to talk with my stereo equipment...

I sold that TV in a garage sale for $25 in a garage sale at the end of the summer.  Between my dad and I we had a whole bunch of pretty nice audio gear that we advertised specifically (including my Kappa 8s, the Marantz, and one of the Carvers there), but nobody came that was seriously interested in them.  I'm kinda glad I've still got the Kappas, and the Marantz makes a very good headphone amp.

Now everything is in storage (well, still in my parents' house) since I'm in Sweden getting my masters' degree (Applied Mechanics).  Well, the Polks are being used by one of my brothers, and my dad is going to take the Klipsches off my hands.

Since I couldn't bring any speakers with me, I picked up a pair of used Sennheiser HD 600s and feed them with a uDAC from my laptop - a perfect portable solution as far as I'm concerned price/performance-wise.  They don't sound anywhere near as good as the Infinities in practically every way, but I'm still very impressed (especially with the lack of fatigue).  I do wonder what a better amp would do, but of course it won't do anything towards rectifying the soundstaging and whole-body bass impact that the speakers are capable of.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,195 of 3,551
Thought you might like some screenshots from my monitor instead:

That's WQUXGA.  As in 3840x2400.  The IBM T221: 22.2", 204 ppi.

The highest resolution monitor ever produced, it can stream four 1080p streams and still have room on the top and bottom for toolbars.  It was originally built for medical, engineering, and military use however.  They're no longer in production, and to this day there is nothing that has come close to them.

The first model cost $22000 in 2001.  This one cost about $8400 new in 2002.  I paid $300!
atsmile.gif

Now do you see why I don't need an HDTV?

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #1,198 of 3,551

Quote:

What resolution are you running the game graphics at? I'm wondering if any graphics card can keep up at that resolution.

I didn't use the T221 for gaming - well, not much anyway.  Here I was getting around 3 fps with everything maxed.  Normally I used my Sony GDA-FW900 at 1920x1200, which as of today is still the best gaming monitor...  I got around 28 fps at that resolution using my ATI 5770, some setting on max, some on medium/high.  When I wanted a better frame rate, 1280x800 was pretty good at around 60 fps.

The only game I really played with the T221 was Medieval II: Total War.  It looks so much better with all the tiny soldiers it's crazy - and it's old enough (and the type of game where sub-30 fps is tolerable) that it runs decently.  I also tried a little HL2, but the input lag is too much to be very fun to play.  It does look sweet, of course.

I ran it using the 5770 with Eyefinity.  It can take up to four DVI inputs at once, but I was limited to two because of the card.  The frame rate is the main drawback - at best I could get 35 Hz when using both links and using a custom overclocked EDID.  The monitor itself (mine is the DG3 model) always refreshes internally at 41 Hz (the more powerful DG5 model does 48 Hz and can use a dual-link DVI plus a single-link DVI cable to get there) regardless of the input frame rate.  There is extensive on-board processing that handles all of the resizing, division of the panel based on input, etc. - that's what causes the lag.  Of course, the refresh rate isn't too hot either - but it was intended for mostly static images, of course.

For extra speed, you can bump it down to 1920x1200, where it still looks better than any other monitor thanks to the tiny space between the pixels compared to normal monitors.

Basically, running one of these is not for the faint of heart.  It takes specific hardware and a bit of work to get them running right.

I think the top dual-GPU single slot cards would still be brought to their knees with the T221 by Crysis at max - although if ATI has got Eyefinity working with Crossfire, it may be a different story.  NVIDIA really isn't relevant for the T221 since you need Eyefinity to do spanning.

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #1,199 of 3,551
Wrong forum and wrong thread. This thread is for pictures of your High End Audio System, hence being posted in the Summit-Fi sub-forum. There is an entire thread devoted to Pictures of members computers. Posting screen shots here is inappropriate, and discussing your monitor and video card is Thread-Jacking.

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,200 of 3,551
Yikes...keeper of the Hi-end forum. 

You go, girl! 
smile.gif

Seriously, thanks for your efforts to keep it pure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back