Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
May 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #7,021 of 10,930
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what if some perceive a difference for with that cable, may I ask "could I see some scientific support" that it's they do not?

Burden of proof lies on the cable pushers. I said I was skeptical. Placebos have been proven to work. There have been a large number of experiments that proove the effect of a placebo. You have to do an ABX test blind.

Quote:

And not "scientific BS, I mean proof." Can you provide that proof that some person or other does NOT hear a difference... and without "scientific BS".
wink.gif

I can't, other than running some ABX tests. I doubt you have done one objectively. Meaning you can't see which you're using. There's no reason for copper-cableA to outperform copper-cableB. Seriously very, very little EM in this scanerio.

Quote:

Ask if you are up to the challenge of answering the question yourself before you speak.

???

Quote:

You are correct in shielding not interfering with an optical signal though, unless you plan to run that optical wire right beside a power plant.

Really? You think that EM interferes with photons on a macroscopic scale?

Quote:

As for protons vs electrons, the theory of light is still not settled between photon theory vs wave theory. We do know though that light does travel in concentrated lines when in laser frequencies (as used with optical cables) and when bent at hard angles and depending on construction of the conductor, may suffer greatly from reflection, refraction and lose signal strength as well as timing when the same signal is sent on many paths due to these factors.

Light exists as both waves and particles. No? Where were you taught?

Quote:

Please do not start throwing "interference does not exist"

It's not enough to deserve military grade cable shielding and braided cables. It's simply ludicrous to assume a 10ft copper wire could pick up such a large amount of EM. Cat7 can go like 500-1000ft, and it's not even that shielded.

Quote:

or "photons" until you read a little physics and basic requirements for optical data communication.

I have very little knowledge in "optical data communication", but I definitely understand the basic concepts of light and EM. Don't inult my intelligence.

Quote:

You might also benefit a little from reading my primer on digital audio - beside the most basic S/PDIF encoding, the standard does not have error checking correction

Ya, but I'm thinking there are very, very few errors. I could see composite getting a few more, but come on.

Quote:

and don't get me started on jitter (most popular type is the timing of signal start/stop).

I thought jitter was correctable by software?

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm simply saying that this high end cable thing is a big money grab to me, and whether or not that last little tiny bit of radiation changes the signal a teeny-tiny bit is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that that reduction in interferance is perceivable, or just thought to be perceivable through the placebo effect.

Is this kind of a "you gotta have faith" sort of deals? I'm not into that.

I beleive that the cables won't be audibly different, that's all. We are in disagreement and it's not going to change. I think we can drop it.

I was about to buy a copper cable for my Hd-25, but then I took an a... nevermind. I did a blind test, with my girlfriend replacing the copper cable of the HD650 with the stock steel cable on the HD-25.
I was doing a lot of tests myself with these cables and was pretty sure I heard a big difference, mainly the sound being warmer and more pleasant. This is where the placebo kicks in, copper being a softer kind of metal than steel, also having a warmer color, are the things that are attributing to the placebo I think.

Anyway the blind test consisted of about 10 random cable changes with me pointing out whether it was the coppor or steel, and I was listening to a very familiar song.
In the end I lthought the steel cable was the copper one.

May 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #7,024 of 10,930
Just got a new PC! :)

CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-3570K + ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
CS: Antec Kuhler H2O 920
RAM: G.Skill NT DDR3-1333 CL9 4GB [Black PCB] X4
GPU: MSI HD 7870 2GB Twin Frozr OC
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb
HDD: Hitachi 2TB [SATA III] )
ODD: Sony 24X CD/DVD Writer
PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Modular [80 Plus Gold]
CASE: NZXT Phantom 410 [Gun Metal]
DSP: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED
Mouse: Razer Deathadder
Keyboard: Rosewill RK9000 Brown Switch
Audio: Audinst HUD-MX1 & Swan M200MkIII

May 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #7,025 of 10,930
I posted my bed-side setup before, but here's what I use when I need to focus or have company.

Couch:

Desk:

bit of a mess atm!

Monitor/speakers:

Actually got a really good deal on the TV.  The speaker positioning isn't the best, but they still sound pretty good.

May 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #7,027 of 10,930
Quote:

beautiful speakers! i have the same ones and i love them.

May 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #7,028 of 10,930
Quote:

The Swans are definitely a nice set of speakers, good choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back