Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3,631 of 10,927

Quote:
etysmile.gif
 Nice joke!!! i use my RAM to play pac-man and to use Windows Paint

oulalalala..might be that this will already lead to a system crash :)

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3,632 of 10,927
No single app that I use, uses 12 gigs of RAM but if I want say work on a big picture in photoshop or CAD, and listen to music or watch a movie, it is nice to have.  Some of the games I have in combination with Windows get a little bit laggy with 6 GB, I knew it wasn't the vid card, so I looked at the Ram utilization and saw I could benefit from a little more.

Quote:
Can i ask u something?Which application uses the 12G ram u have? Where do u use it? 

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #3,633 of 10,927

Quote:
No single app that I use, uses 12 gigs of RAM but if I want say work on a big picture in photoshop or CAD, and listen to music or watch a movie, it is nice to have.  Some of the games I have in combination with Windows get a little bit laggy with 6 GB, I knew it wasn't the vid card, so I looked at the Ram utilization and saw I could benefit from a little more.

What games require 6GB? I've played plenty of games while running many apps on my rig with 6GB DDR3 and I've NEVER gone over 4gb. 4GB is plenty for the average PC overclocker/gamer.

You can check your memory usage by CTRL + ALT + DEL, Start Task Manager, Performance.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #3,634 of 10,927
Quote:
Can i ask u something?Which application uses the 12G ram u have? Where do u use it?

For instance Adobe After Effects CS5 prefers 2GB per thread for rendering, and all of the 12GB can be used for RAM previews. With an AMD Phenom II X6 or any i7 processor 12GB is very beneficial in such applications.

If you just play Black Ops you can rest assured your average 4GB is more than plenty
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #3,635 of 10,927
I am aware of how to check my my system performance.  We all have different needs I listed a program and a family of programs which could easily use 12GB or RAM, which I or do use on occassion.  Also as far as games go its not the game itself, its the game, its windows, its the media player I have running, and any other thing I feel like having run in the back ground.  I never said that I needed it, it was a little laggy for some reason a bunch of times, looked at my system performance with 6 GB and it was in the 90s the few times I looked and so I bought 3 more sticks of RAM.  Otherwise, I have no good explanation other than I just have it.  I could also just say that well I don't really need my WA-5 and so I should bought a WA-6 instead, but then Woo would have been out a few grand and I wouldn't have been as happy with my sound system.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #3,638 of 10,927
Depending on how the application(s) themselves are programmed, more ram can be a good thing. Games generally wont be using that much ram, 4-6 gigs is more than enough in most cases as its mostly the video ram that takes up the most space. PhysX enabled games will require the 4-6 gigs to really shine, otherwise 2-4 is enough to get most games to playable (27+fps) levels with decent (medium, non HD resolution) graphics.

For things like CAD and photoshop and video editing, however, the hard drive presents an enormous bottleneck for the application's performance. In this case the RAM is preferable to use. Of course, if you have like 10 100gb 7200RPM (or ssd) hard drives all hooked up in RAID0, your computer will fly and be more than able to use the pagefile/disk cache rather than the ram, but that isnt a very cost effective strategy, especially if your motherboard can support 2ghz clock frequencies on the ram.

Similarly, GPU's are designed differently based on their usage. the mainstream consumer GPU's you see are expensive and fast and dont have THAT much ram, but if you look at the professional grade GPU's you'll quickly eclipse your specs and triple the price of your rig just because those are optimized for CAD and other creative functions where speed isnt the issue but overall performance is.

I know thats not a terribly good explanation and its rife with innaccuracies, but thats the most I feel like summarizing it :p

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #3,641 of 10,927
There's no doubt you will get bottle-necked at 2GB if you run a lot of memory hogging apps. That's hardly my point. My point is 4GB is enough for 97% of people. I run A LOT of apps on my fairly high-end rig and never used over 4GB, ever. I have 3x2GB DDR3 1600mhz and it's overkill.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #3,642 of 10,927

Dude, no one cares about your ram settings or anything like that. This is a picture thread and you guys have totally hijacked it. GTFO or post a picture plz.
Quote:
There's no doubt you will get bottle-necked at 2GB if you run a lot of memory hogging apps. That's hardly my point. My point is 4GB is enough for 97% of people. I run A LOT of apps on my fairly high-end rig and never used over 4GB, ever. I have 3x2GB DDR3 1600mhz and it's overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back