Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jan 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,121 of 10,930

Quote:
RCA by design cannot be 75 ohms, but it really REALLY doesn't matter as in 99% of commercial gear, a simple pair of wires (not 75 ohm coax) run from the connector to the PCB and the PCB traces certainly aren't 75 ohm. :p

Async vs Adaptive USB : whole other story.  Async USB is still not properly buffered or error-corrected (which should really have been done when drivers were written, but I'm an optimistic software engineer...)

Well, when you consider things like Canare RCAPs (used on those Blue Jeans Cables), the difference is infinitesimally negligible. True 75 ohms, as some like to call it, really isn't different from something that is functionally 75 ohms.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #3,122 of 10,930

Quote:
How on Earth can they get away with that!
confused.gif

Because it doesn't matter in the slightest. Just like the whole BNC/RCA/USB/1394/Optical thing.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3,124 of 10,930

Quote:

So glad that a few are starting to realise that 95% of the audio industry is built on myths.

What is strange is that some can hear a difference between them.

or so they say... for a while I really thought I was apart of that group but really it should be whatever sounds best to you.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #3,128 of 10,930

Quote:
Well, "the whole BNC/RCA/USB/1394/Optical thing" actually does matter - there are drastically different protocols there - you can perhaps group together "BNC/RCA - both coax S/PDIF and Optical TosLink as it's also S/PDIF", but USB and 1394 are considerably different implementations...

Using the same source/same dac and connecting via all of the above with a bit perfect signal should result in the same sound.

If not then something is amiss with the gear or your ears.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3,129 of 10,930
I would add that optical is arguably the most jitter-prone of the s/pdif protocols, but it is completely isolated from noise electrically.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #3,131 of 10,930

Quote:
Quote:
Well, "the whole BNC/RCA/USB/1394/Optical thing" actually does matter - there are drastically different protocols there - you can perhaps group together "BNC/RCA - both coax S/PDIF and Optical TosLink as it's also S/PDIF", but USB and 1394 are considerably different implementations...

Using the same source/same dac and connecting via all of the above with a bit perfect signal should result in the same sound.

If not then something is amiss with the gear or your ears.

Absolutely not.  The implementation of the digital receiver in the DAC, along with the implementation of the digital source can and do affect the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back