Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #2,656 of 10,930
I love that little wheel-around thing with the ION, great idea and well put together!

I finally got around to sorting my place out a little. I got an Optoma 92" pull-up screen (not practical to screw a pull-down to the ceiling). Got a TV unit from Ikea (ugh) and only used the bottom half of it with the feet cut down in half as well. The sound is a lot better now with the furry rug.. next thing is some panels for the walls etc.

Subtly paused on the lovely Zooey Deschanel, who can blame me, eh?

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2,659 of 10,930
Thanks guys, it'll do me just fine at the moment. I was sorely tempted to get a larger screen but decided to keep the screen size down so that I could fit it in between the speakers rather than having to look up all the time - that would be a pain in the neck.

jakebot - don't know if that was aimed at me or not but the speakers are Quad 22L's, I love them, so natural and transparent they almost just disappear... the same could be said for the amp. The only thing I'm not totally convinced by now is the DacMagic but I can't afford anything better at the moment, or at least can't afford to experiment with other DAC's.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #2,660 of 10,930
Do you have a pic of the projecter/computer side of things?  I like the setup.  I was thinking about getting something portable that could be moved to the backyard for parties (on occasion).  This looks like a better option than some of the blow up screens I have seen.  Is it easy to get the screen back in the base or do you just leave it up all the time?

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #2,661 of 10,930
The computer is in the little cupboard (behind the white door), not much to see there - just an HDMI cable to the projector and an optical cable to the DAC.

The screen goes up and down simply and easily. To get it back in the base all I have to do is unclip the top and lower it  back down then fold the arm down, literally takes 10 secs, and it's just as simple to put back up. There's two feet at the bottom that fold away also for transporting. I leave it up most of the time though unless I'm in the house during the day when I'm not using the projector... I just use XBMC remote on my phone to access my music
smily_headphones1.gif

Setting up a projector outdoors would probably only work at (or nearer) night when there's little ambient light around, or I guess in heavy shade.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2,662 of 10,930

Quote:
I love that little wheel-around thing with the ION, great idea and well put together!

I finally got around to sorting my place out a little. I got an Optoma 92" pull-up screen (not practical to screw a pull-down to the ceiling). Got a TV unit from Ikea (ugh) and only used the bottom half of it with the feet cut down in half as well. The sound is a lot better now with the furry rug.. next thing is some panels for the walls etc.

Subtly paused on the lovely Zooey Deschanel, who can blame me, eh?

I like your idea of lowering the table. It is going to be difficult getting around that chimney.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2,663 of 10,930
I'll have to calculate what would it take to do something like this IRL with two Acer K11 projectors. As in, how curved can the screen be if I'd do it from some thin matte painted plywood..
Anyway 1600x600 resolution would be easy to run on a GTX 460 1GB, 2.35:1 movies ALMOST in native size (the aspect ratio of this hideous contraption would be 2,66:1. And as you can see it'd be awesome for wide screen gaming. Now all I need is a bean bag chair and a steering wheel.. played from 2m away the field of view would be very close to natural, resulting in good immersion, as long as the projectors aren't crap and have a certain degree of contrast to them. Anyway, if I ever get a hold of extra $600 to buy two small LED projectors for this I might.. It's a gimmick but atleast nobody else would have it

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #2,664 of 10,930

Quote:
I'll have to calculate what would it take to do something like this IRL with two Acer K11 projectors. As in, how curved can the screen be if I'd do it from some thin matte painted plywood..
Anyway 1600x600 resolution would be easy to run on a GTX 460 1GB, 2.35:1 movies ALMOST in native size (the aspect ratio of this hideous contraption would be 2,66:1. And as you can see it'd be awesome for wide screen gaming. Now all I need is a bean bag chair and a steering wheel.. played from 2m away the field of view would be very close to natural, resulting in good immersion, as long as the projectors aren't crap and have a certain degree of contrast to them. Anyway, if I ever get a hold of extra $600 to buy two small LED projectors for this I might.. It's a gimmick but atleast nobody else would have it

$600?? Aren't projectors and screens much more than that? Let alone 2..

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #2,665 of 10,930

is it me or did his screen like triple in size from the first picture.  man, if i got any greener i would be called a plant.  dang im jealous.
Quote:

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2,668 of 10,930
haha thanks for the laugh ^  it's okay

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2,669 of 10,930
Thanks for the info on the screen.  I would only want it for night when using it outside.  With the lights off, it is very dark back there.  Also, I can't have a projection setup in the main room unless I can put it up and down.  There is a doorway that would get in the way for anything wider than the 63 inch TV I have in there.   However, a setup like this would be easy to put up and down and I could just run an HDMI cable from the receiver when I wanted to use it.  I have thought about doing this before and got distracted.

In my other pics, I mainly showed the headphones that are hooked to the PC and Mini in the office.  I also have a rack with a Marantz 2220B that gets a signal from the computers, too.  It feeds a speaker switch that I can run off of the Marantz or the T-amp, which feed a pair of Insignia speakers. 

(sorry the pic isn't one of my best, but you get the jest of it)

Below is a pic of the Marantz out of the rack with the case that my dad made for it:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back