Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Nov 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,911 of 3,060
Lovin' it @deadhead12 , for $30 you can add the F1 and drive anything you have:wink: This entire rig (Walnut V2/F-1, KZ ZS6 w/braided upgrade cable and JDS IC) cost $97.93 shipped!

I’m truly surprised by how much I like this little player! I bought it to use as an amp only when I thought my A5 died, but I’ve been using it exclusively for a week and couldn’t be happier.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #2,912 of 3,060
I play just about all vinyl at home and this little DAP is the closest thing I've heard to analog playback in a DAP. Some would describe it as noise (Unwanted even) but their is an airiness/ambience that really gets close to that analog sound for me.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,913 of 3,060
Pretty much, I just saw the F1 for $30 even today on AliExpress, I got my V2 for $27, the JDS Labs IC is $4.99 everyday on JDS Labs site. Where we differ is I got my ZS6 and braided upgrade cable for $31. I'm betting if you can hold out until 11/11 sale you can get this rig even cheaper:wink:

I actually just had a second batch come in (because I have a boatload of KZ's)! Going to put one on my sons ED12's, I know but he loves them:rolling_eyes: These ran $8.54 ea. for my ZS5's and other ZST.

Thank you Podster !
Am I understanding that the Walnut FI can also run balanced? Have you tried any IEMs balanced ? Thank you !
Best, Mark

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,914 of 3,060
Thank you Podster !
Am I understanding that the Walnut FI can also run balanced? Have you tried any IEMs balanced ? Thank you !
Best, Mark

Hello Mark, I have run the Trinity Master and Icarus III balanced on the Walnut stack as well as the A4 and Mass Drop Mee PX(dressed down P1, I have both). I usually find that I prefer my Icarus III most of the time these days but the PX's really sound sweet in balanced on the Walnuts. To me this rig right here at less than $200 (Budget Rigs) can hang IMO with many $500/$600 rigs in SQ. Of course you don't have all the bells and whistles (Screen for album art, track info or Blue Tooth and the luxury items I call them) but for musical enjoyment I'm thoroughly impressed:wink:

Nutter MeeXP1.JPG

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,915 of 3,060
Which is seen as best walnut v2s or zishan z2?

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,916 of 3,060
Hello Mark, I have run the Trinity Master and Icarus III balanced on the Walnut stack as well as the A4 and Mass Drop Mee PX(dressed down P1, I have both). I usually find that I prefer my Icarus III most of the time these days but the PX's really sound sweet in balanced on the Walnuts. To me this rig right here at less than $200 (Budget Rigs) can hang IMO with many $500/$600 rigs in SQ. Of course you don't have all the bells and whistles (Screen for album art, track info or Blue Tooth and the luxury items I call them) but for musical enjoyment, I'm thoroughly impressed:wink:

Hi Podster,
I had been away from Head-fi for a while, first because I loved the old Huddler layout and less so for the new layout and second every time I get back involved with Head-fi it costs me money!

Thank you for your patience with my questions. I put everything in the Penon Audio cart Walnut F1 2.5, Walnut V2s and a FiiO RC-MMCXB Cable 2.5mm to use with my Shure SE215 balanced. And paused. I am buying the DAP to use on my night stand before I go to sleep and to use with my Raspberry Pi > TDA1387 X8 NOS DAC (which I love) > JHL 1969 headphone amp.

Can the Walnut V2S do coaxial out to use with an external DAC ?

Thank you !

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,917 of 3,060
Hi Podster,
I had been away from Head-fi for a while, first because I loved the old Huddler layout and less so for the new layout and second every time I get back involved with Head-fi it costs me money!

Thank you for your patience with my questions. I put everything in the Penon Audio cart Walnut F1 2.5, Walnut V2s and a FiiO RC-MMCXB Cable 2.5mm to use with my Shure SE215 balanced. And paused. I am buying the DAP to use on my night stand before I go to sleep and to use with my Raspberry Pi > TDA1387 X8 NOS DAC (which I love) > JHL 1969 headphone amp.

Can the Walnut V2S do coaxial out to use with an external DAC ?

Thank you !

That is a very good question and one I'm not really sure of, now I'm curious is the line out on the V2s can be 3.5mm on one end and be coax on the other but seems unlikely to me due to the configuration of coax itself! Maybe someone with more knowledge of tis can shed some light here for you. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,918 of 3,060
That is a very good question and one I'm not really sure of, now I'm curious is the line out on the V2s can be 3.5mm on one end and be coax on the other but seems unlikely to me due to the configuration of coax itself! Maybe someone with more knowledge of tis can shed some light here for you. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

Thank you Podster.
Anyone know of DAP with Coaxial Out ? So the DAP can be used with an external DAC.
Thank you !
- Mark

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,919 of 3,060
Hi Podster,
I am learning about DAP coaxial out. Some DAPs have it and some do not. So far the DAP that I have found with coaxial out:
iBasso DX80
Cayin N5
Cayin N3
FiiO X5 III

Cable Cayin USB-C to Coaxial Cable, CS-30TCR USB-C To Coaxial

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,920 of 3,060
Hi Podster,
I am learning about DAP coaxial out. Some DAPs have it and some do not. So far the DAP that I have found with coaxial out:
iBasso DX80
Cayin N5
Cayin N3
FiiO X5 III

Cable Cayin USB-C to Coaxial Cable, CS-30TCR USB-C To Coaxial

How embarrassed am I, own both the Cayin's and since I don't or at least never have considered running them thru an external DAC I've never researched that USB-C to COAX cable! You have taught me something today:beerchug:

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,921 of 3,060
How embarrassed am I, own both the Cayin's and since I don't or at least never have considered running them thru an external DAC I've never researched that USB-C to COAX cable! You have taught me something today:beerchug:

Hi Podster,
I only realized it had Coax out when I found the Cayin cable. Can you give me your feedback on the Cayin 3 ? Seems like a nice DAP for $149. Coax out, DSD and AK4490EN DAC chip.

What do you think ? Thank you for the assistance !

-Mark

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,922 of 3,060
Hi Podster,
I only realized it had Coax out when I found the Cayin cable. Can you give me your feedback on the Cayin 3 ? Seems like a nice DAP for $149. Coax out, DSD and AK4490EN DAC chip.

What do you think ? Thank you for the assistance !

-Mark

Hello Mark, N3 is a marvelous DAP and IMO a steal at $150. You should jump on the N3 thread and see all the praise on it. Once again IMO the SQ of the N3 is easily worth the asking price.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,923 of 3,060
Anybody have any recommendations for what iems would have good synergy with the n3? Also, considering getting a shanling m2s but am wondering if for the price I would be better off with xudoo x3 or even a Benji or colorfly c3 with an amp.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,924 of 3,060
Here's a few that work for my tired old ears:rolling_eyes:

Cayin Master.JPG

Trinity Masters

Get Physical.jpg

LZ D2002

N's X and 3.JPG

Mee PX (or P-1 as they are the same) Probably my favorite with the N3.

Sendiy Cayin.JPG

Sendiy M1221 works well with the N3 as well:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back