Pictures of the Squeezebox 3 UI?
Mar 2, 2006 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm considering the Squeezebox 3, but haven't been able to find many pictures of the UI on the unit itself. From the shots I have seen I am worried that it may not be able to display enough information and would make selecting albums in a large music collection difficult.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
340smile.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 26
A very good way to get a feel for the UI is to download SoftSqueeze, which fully emulates a Squeezebox on your computer. (I'm not sure how well it works if it doesn't find a SlimServer to connect to, but at least some of the functionality should be there.)

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 26
You can just grab and install slimdevices server. It's open source and free.

I feel it gives me enough information. As for a huge music collection, it's not a problem at all. You can search instead of browse. Just type in the album, title or artist using the number pad on the remote like what you do on a cell phone. I'm very satisfied with my SB3 right now.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 26
Thanks guys, that helped a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I'm considering the Squeezebox 3, but haven't been able to find many pictures of the UI on the unit itself. From the shots I have seen I am worried that it may not be able to display enough information and would make selecting albums in a large music collection difficult.

I've got a 400+ CD collection, and have no problem browsing with the Squeezebox's UI. A couple of things that make it work well for browsing are:

1. Ability to browse in a bunch of different ways, including the three tier "Browse by Genre" that I almost always use (which lets you go Genre->Artist->Album, a large benefit over the more standard Genre->Album).

2. The ability to jump to points in a long list by pushing number buttons. I can push 7 (labelled P,R,S) to jump to the "P" section of a list; pushing it again goes to R; and again goes to S. If you know what you're looking for, this is efficient enough that I've never actually used the searching functionality.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 26
philodox: I have SB3, love it, and have no problem navigating through hundreds of artists/albums, and 10's of playlists.

Stop stalling, and just get one
biggrin.gif
You will love it.

ps: recommend a good DAC asap to give a big hit in SQ.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 26
Just some things I've heard about user interfaces for the SB:

If you have a wifi PDA, then Telcanto gives you a really nice handheld interface.
If you have a Nokia 770, then you can find a SUPER-nice interface for the SB.

In my own experience, if you have neither then the Slimserver interface on your PC is fine. And the SB is just an awesome device.

Chad

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 26
Well I'm sold... especially after reading the SanFran meet impressions. I am seriously considering that Nokia as well... but will probably use my PS2 in the mean time. As for the DAC, I found a local source for the Lavry.
cool.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 26
I just checked out Squeezbox3's website. That is a huge difference from what I remember of the older model. I don't know if anyone has tried www.pandora.com but it's call way to find and stream new music that is similar to music you currently enjoy. You can now use the sb3 to stream with pandora.com in addition to all the other media formats it accepts. It says on the website that it accepts AAC and lossless. Does anyone know if it works with Apple Lossless?

I've been using the Airport Express with a DAC2 and love it but while it's less expensive than the sb3 it's not nearly as versatile. With agile_one giving his seal of approval this maybe my next purchase.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 26
I don't think the Olive has been getting the greatest reviews...

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Has anyone found any deals on the wireless version of the sb3?

I'd be interested in this as well. I'm considering having mine sent to Red Wine to have all of the mods except the analog output stage mods done as well as the battery power supply.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: There was a buy two get $100 off deal for a while, but I think that is over.
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I'd be interested in this as well. I'm considering having mine sent to Red Wine to have all of the mods except the analog output stage mods done as well as the battery power supply.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: There was a buy two get $100 off deal for a while, but I think that is over.
frown.gif

The deal is still on the website.
wink.gif

Edit: Nevermind, it says 2/28.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back