Pictures of My iBook Rig
Mar 20, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 22
...can't bring it with you when you die...

indeed
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
Forgive a stupid question from a newbie, but why don't you just listen to your music on your ipod?

1) iPod doesn't have a digital output, so I can't use the Micro DAC with it. Micro DAC needs an optical, coax, or USB digital input. Only portable players with digital output is iRiver H120/140. The Micro DAC to my ears improves sound dramatically over my iPod rig. I rarely use my iPod nowadays.

2) I use laptop to listen to 128K dance/trance/live DJ radio streams and also Rhapsody.com music service. I've written about it on other posts, but to my ears my iBook/Micro DAC/SM3/E5c dramatically improves crappy 128K MP3 files.

3) I'm almost always on the iBook surfing the net or writing on MS Word. I just Command/Tab to go to iTunes. I travel to Europe a lot, so my iBook is always with me anyway, and this rig is really transportable.

4) To me, it's easier to search for music and make playlists with iTunes.

Mainly because it sounds so much better.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
basshead.gif

For better mobility around my pad I use a super long 20 foot mini to mini extension. Still sounds great and better to my ears.

I've become fanatical about my raves about laptop/Micro DAC/portable amp rigs. It's just 'cause it gives me so much joy for so little money (relatively in Head-Fi terms), and I want to try to spread the knowledge in the same way other Head-Fiers helped me setup this rig with all their posts.

In a hard world, this rig makes me happy. I love it. It sounds great, it's eye candy, it's transportable, and it makes me smile. No more upgrading for me for a long while.

Just trying to share the joy that's all.

Thanks for looking (oops, I forgot that's an eBay closing
tongue.gif
).

580smile.gif
580smile.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Sorry HeadRoom,

Micro DAC can also be used with portable DVD and CD players with optical outs also.

It also works with stereo and DVD players with optical outs also.

Cheers.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 22
that guy has a good point. i think it's a bit of overkill to be using a 'portable' external dac and such with a laptop listening to compressed music... i'm actually considering just getting a tivoli isongbook for plug n play use with the ipod. so simple.

if i traveled a lot and didn't feel like using the ipod, i'd just stick with your ibook, get an echo indigo, and listen to pandora.com streams with some decent portable fones (ety er-4s or something). i imagine rhapsody is like the same thing?

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
i think it's a bit of overkill to be using a 'portable' external dac and such with a laptop listening to compressed music... i'm actually considering just getting a tivoli isongbook for plug n play use with the ipod. so simple.

if i traveled a lot and didn't feel like using the ipod, i'd just stick with your ibook, get an echo indigo, and listen to pandora.com streams with some decent portable fones (ety er-4s or something). i imagine rhapsody is like the same thing?

Hi panda,

Well everyone is different and has different needs that's why Head-Fi is so cool.

The portable DAC is the only reason to use the laptop rig, and in this rig, to my ears, I give the DAC a 40% share of the glory. If it wasn't the case, I'd just stay with the iPod.

As far as lossy compressed files and my rig, I shared my experiences with another Head-Fier that had a question about it:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169885

The gist of that thread is that an upgraded DAC dramatically improved the sound quality of lossy files and streams to my ears. That's just me, and to me it's not overkill at all. To me it's a 40% difference in quality.

As far as Rhapsody.com, well it costs $10 month, and it has a pretty good selection. I just subscribe to it because if I didn't I'd probably hang out at the record store too much and end up spending $100-200 a month on CDs.

The Echo Indigo has it's place too. I've never heard it myself.

Head-Fi is so cool. We can all pick and choose and critically analyze everyone's posts to see what best fits our own individual needs. The socializing is cool to when you're completely bored like I am
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
1) iPod doesn't have a digital output, so I can't use the Micro DAC with it. Micro DAC needs an optical, coax, or USB digital input. Only portable players with digital output is iRiver H120/140. The Micro DAC to my ears improves sound dramatically over my iPod rig. I rarely use my iPod nowadays.

2) I use laptop to listen to 128K dance/trance/live DJ radio streams and also Rhapsody.com music service. I've written about it on other posts, but to my ears my iBook/Micro DAC/SM3/E5c dramatically improves crappy 128K MP3 files.

3) I'm almost always on the iBook surfing the net or writing on MS Word. I just Command/Tab to go to iTunes. I travel to Europe a lot, so my iBook is always with me anyway, and this rig is really transportable.

4) To me, it's easier to search for music and make playlists with iTunes.

Mainly because it sounds so much better.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
basshead.gif

For better mobility around my pad I use a super long 20 foot mini to mini extension. Still sounds great and better to my ears.

I've become fanatical about my raves about laptop/Micro DAC/portable amp rigs. It's just 'cause it gives me so much joy for so little money (relatively in Head-Fi terms), and I want to try to spread the knowledge in the same way other Head-Fiers helped me setup this rig with all their posts.

In a hard world, this rig makes me happy. I love it. It sounds great, it's eye candy, it's transportable, and it makes me smile. No more upgrading for me for a long while.

Just trying to share the joy that's all.

Thanks for looking (oops, I forgot that's an eBay closing
tongue.gif
).

580smile.gif
580smile.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Cool, thats a great explanation. Thanks for typing that all out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back