Pictures of my headphone system (modem users beware)
Jul 9, 2001 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

erebus

New Head-Fier
headphone_system1.jpg

headphone_system2.jpg

headphone_system3.jpg

headphone_system4.jpg

Enjoy!

Jul 9, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 25
Nice stuff erebus. Excuse my ignorance, but what is that stereo-link.com thing? DAC maybe?

Oh, and just to be critical, clean up that dust!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2001 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 25
Nice setup

And yeah, the Stereo Link is a DAC, a USB DAC... what are the two amplifiers for? I see both of them are plugged into something but only one headphone.

Jul 9, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 25
Yeah, I have been lazy about the "dust"

That is actually ash from a burning forest fire nearby that came in through my window. The stuff is everywhere. I guess I have become accustomed to having everything coated with a white layer.
wink.gif

I have two amps as you can see, the MGHead is attached to my CDP, and the Creek goes into the stereolink 2000 DAC, which then connects to my PC.

Jul 9, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 25
Nice rig!
smily_headphones1.gif

What are your thoughts on the old "tubes vs solid state" debate?

Also, do you prefer the creek hooked up to the stereo link?
I also thought that the link had a headphone output and if so how does that sound by itself?

Jul 9, 2001 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by erebus
Yeah, I have been lazy about the "dust"

That is actually ash from a burning forest fire nearby that came in through my window. The stuff is everywhere. I guess I have become accustomed to having everything coated with a white layer.
wink.gif

You know what I've found works great for dust? Swiffers. My wife bought these things, and they're designed to go on the end of a mop/broom-like holder to pick up dust and debris from your floor. Well, the Swiffer sheets are sorta like paper towels, so I keep one in my desk drawer and use it to wipe up the dust around my desk and equipment every day.

Swiffer web site

Jul 9, 2001 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 25
Jude, the anal retentive audiophile, ladies and gentlemen! Give him a big hand!
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 25
Speaking of being anal...

1st off, cool stuff there, and you could have clean up a little before taking the pics
wink.gif

However, my question goes out to all, is it a good idea to have everything stacked like that? Also that cord plugged into the head is bend in a nasty angle and then looks to be crushed neath the amp itself, that can't be good right? Also, wouldn't the dust on the tube cause a problem if they heat up too much or do the tubes on a headphone do not run as hot as power amps?

BTW, What version of the head is that in that pic?

Jul 9, 2001 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 25
As if to further my reputation as the anal retentive audiophile, I just ordered a set of 12 of these:

rcacaps.jpg

Cardas RCA Caps

I "won" them on Audiogon for $35.00 plus $8.00 shipping, handling, and PayPal $1.00 payment method premium. Would have probably cost me a few bucks less overall buying them through Audio Advisor, but they're backordered over there right now.

I know, I know....it's sorta sickening.... Strangely enough, I was fully aware of that as I hit the bid button. And still, as with any piece of audio gear, I'm excited about their arrival.

Jul 9, 2001 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

What are your thoughts on the old "tubes vs solid state" debate?

Also, do you prefer the creek hooked up to the stereo link?
I also thought that the link had a headphone output and if so how does that sound by itself?

I enjoy my tubed equipment (both the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and the MGHead) and actually prefer it to the solid state Creek amp. As folks have mentioned in the past, the HD600 sounds very nice with a tube setup, and I tend to agree with that sentiment.

The Creek is "ok" connected to the stereo link. Since the source connected to the stereo link and the Creek is my PC (usually playing mp3's), the quality is far from perfect, but very good considering. The stereo link does have a headphone output, but I haven't tested it with my HD600's. I just use that headphone output with my other, less demanding pair of headphones, Denon D550's.

Quote:

You know what I've found works great for dust? Swiffers. My wife bought these things, and they're designed to go on the end of a mop/broom-like holder to pick up dust and debris from your floor. Well, the Swiffer sheets are sorta like paper towels, so I keep one in my desk drawer and use it to wipe up the dust around my desk and equipment every day.

That is an excellent idea! I have seen those things in the store. I should buy some.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2001 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

However, my question goes out to all, is it a good idea to have everything stacked like that? Also that cord plugged into the head is bend in a nasty angle and then looks to be crushed neath the amp itself, that can't be good right?

Yes, from the pictures it appears that the cord is crushed, but there is actually space underneath the MGHead amp for the cord to snake underneath without being pinched.

Jul 9, 2001 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 25
What benefit does the stereo link offer (I have no idea what it actually does) if you are only using it with mp3s? that looks like a gorgeous setup erebus.

What model CD-player is it? and how do you like it? How does it compare to any others you have used/heard? Thanks in advance, this place is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back