pics of my DIY speakers
Sep 22, 2002 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Serow

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought some of you guys may be interested in the pair of speakers I just finished building. They use vintage AlNiCo-magnet drivers from the 70s obtained from Ebay and a first-order crossover at 5000 Hz. If anyone wants more technical details, just let me know.

These cost me less than 100 USD to build, all inclusive. They sound very good to me - my headphones have gotten quite a bit less use recently
eek.gif

clamps.jpg

boxes.jpg

bench.jpg

xover.jpg

back.jpg

me.jpg

Sep 22, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 4
Neat. How would you characterize the sound?

You might want to see what it sounds like to put some insulation inside the enclosure. Sometimes that can keep them from sounding boxy. Wouldn't take much time to try and see what that does to the sound.

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 4
Regarding the veneer, it's actually an adhesive-backed vinyl product from www.partsexpress.com. It's easy to install, as long as you read the directions and use the proper tool to trim it - I found a sharp straight-razor blade to work the best.

From my reading, stuffing inside the box is typically reserved for sealed enclosures. I don't detect any significant box resonances at this point.

The sound is excellent, for the price. The highs are clear, fairly mellow. The midrange is really nice, it's easy to distinguish lyrics and subtleties in intonation. The lows are there but somewhat lean - I haven't yet added the baffle step correction, which corrects the tendency of the bass to be lower in volume than the rest of the sound, depending on the size of the baffles.

Cheers,
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back