Pics of how to solder a pot?
Nov 17, 2002 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sTaTIx

100+ Head-Fier
I have the toughest time wiring my pot, a 10K Panasonic. The connections are never very secure, and soldering is always precarious as solder can easily flux from one pin to the next. I've fiddled around with the pot so much, soldering, desoldering and resoldering, that the thinner parts of the pins have snapped off (most of them by their own). Anyone have tips or pictures of their pots upclose so i can see how some of you do it?

Nov 17, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Those Panasonic pot pins are fragile. There isn't any tricks that would strenghten the pins. I broke off all of the pins of the Pana. pot in my cha47. I just tack soldered the wires onto the nubs of the pins. Not very high tech, but there isn't much else you can do, other than change out pot.

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Those Panasonic pot pins are fragile. There isn't any tricks that would strenghten the pins. I broke off all of the pins of the Pana. pot in my cha47. I just tack soldered the wires onto the nubs of the pins. Not very high tech, but there isn't much else you can do, other than change out pot.

What's tack solder?

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 5
I have used the 50K version of those Panasonics. The best way I have found is to tin the pins on the pot, and then tin the wire. Then you simply hold the wire to the pin and heat. You get a good solid joint with a lot of surface area contact. Quote:

What's tack solder?

I think it's the same as tinning and heating. I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back