Pics and some impressions of my one-week new ATH-W1000
Jul 20, 2005 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wwmidia

Head-Fier
Very brief, due to the short period I've owned it, my poor rigs to drive it and my poor English.

I drive it with my Sony D350 and Supermacro 3 connected with zu pivot mini-mini. But I also use it a lot on my laptop with mp3s, it indeed suprised me with such humble source - the cans made by wood could actually conceal some defects in source, and reproduce some details that lost in source by the unique resonance.

IMO w1000 is a pair of 'tamed' cans and 'service' cans. It foregos some hardcore capabilities of headphone to compromise for comfortness in sound - no harshness, no pops, no too bright treble.

The wooden cans are terrbile for transparency but brillient for resonance, esp in immitating the nature sound of string and piano. It's specially fit to Japnaness pop music, anime music and game music as well.

You get some uniquenesses at the expense of general performance, it's fair enough.

I'm very happy to own it with my DT931, these two are complementary to each other indeed.

Urban, H.

Enjoy the pics. Lots of guys have posted some explendent ones but every people would produce differences, with rejoicing.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7715/w100001s1jd.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5815/w100002s9zr.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5482/w100003s4eb.jpg

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm waiting for mine, ordered two day ago!

Funny, you say your Beyers are a good complimentary can, I also will have Beyers as second headphone! I have the DT511, which is an old ancestor to the DT990 I think... They still sound pretty good when driven with a good amp so I'm anxious to compare them to the W1000...

Have fun with your new cans, they sure look goooood.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 9
I like the sticker customization! Beautiful cans!

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
I'm waiting for mine, ordered two day ago!

Funny, you say your Beyers are a good complimentary can, I also will have Beyers as second headphone!

Yeah, let's explain further. As I said, IMO, w1000 foregos some hardcore capabilities of headphone to compromise for comfortness in sound - and DT931 is exactly the opposite.

In lots of conditions the subjective comfortness and objective performance are contradictory. Extremely good cans might could well balanced between then, and even realise both. But generally they are not approachable simultaneously. 1 inch improvement in the performance would require a lot more effort for treating the accompanied problems in sound-comfortness.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I like the sticker customization! Beautiful cans!

Actually I have sticker on every rigs I own... the same serials: RSPCA perfect pets.

pp-scraps3.jpg

http://www.rspcaperfectpets.com/home.asp

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Try relocating the W1000s on your head. The W1000 has an asymmetric driver so the sound may change from a forward to read position on your head. See what if any difference you notice between these positions.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Try relocating the W1000s on your head. The W1000 has an asymmetric driver so the sound may change from a forward to read position on your head. See what if any difference you notice between these positions.

Thx.
Usually I move the cans as forward as possible. viz. let the back edge of pads touch the auricles. ")

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi wwmidia,

Congradulations on your new purchase, and welcome to the Audio Technica W family!

Overlunge

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi wwmidia,

Congradulations on your new purchase, and welcome to the Audio Technica W family!

Overlunge

I also have got a second hand sr60 so my configuration is quite similiar~ DT931, w1000, sr60
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back