Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Jul 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #511 of 939
i may need to create a notice to include with the Pico Slim - plug your cables in ALL THE WAY.  When I have demoed the Pico Slim at meets, almost everytime I have to lean over and push someone's headphone or input cable in further.  The battery life I have measured is 60 hours, but may vary slightly depending on the load being driven and the battery packs themselves also have a 5-10% tolerance.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #512 of 939

Quote:
i may need to create a notice to include with the Pico Slim - plug your cables in ALL THE WAY.  When I have demoed the Pico Slim at meets, almost everytime I have to lean over and push someone's headphone or input cable in further.  The battery life I have measured is 60 hours, but may vary slightly depending on the load being driven and the battery packs themselves also have a 5-10% tolerance.

Please make a notice about this because I thought I broke my pico slim too.

When the pico slim is new, it takes substantial amount of pressure to push the plugs all the way in.  I had issues with imbalanced channels and high pass filtering.  All of these problems were solved after I discovered the plugs were only partially inserted.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #514 of 939
Same with the input plug, I failed to push mine in all the way too once or twice, so the notice would be a good idea.

Quick impression with RE-ZEROs though: Neutral + neutral = very neutral.  I do get the impression, alongside one of Justin's comments, that the Slim is ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral, but it could be I'm too used to bright headphones.  I'm using the RE-ZEROs with the Slim, TWAG and 6th gen. iPod, so everything is tilted towards being bright and I'm liking that combination.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #515 of 939

Quote:
Same with the input plug, I failed to push mine in all the way too once or twice, so the notice would be a good idea.

Quick impression with RE-ZEROs though: Neutral + neutral = very neutral.  I do get the impression, alongside one of Justin's comments, that the Slim is ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral, but it could be I'm too used to bright headphones.  I'm using the RE-ZEROs with the Slim, TWAG and 6th gen. iPod, so everything is tilted towards being bright and I'm liking that combination.

Very nice, glad I'm not the only one that hears the Slim gives a nice warming presentation.  Do you also feel (I guess hearing would be more accurate) a more full sounding with the RE-Zero and the slim and a bit more bottom end punch?

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #516 of 939

Quote:
5 hour battery life doesn't sound right, did you fully charge it before use? I don't remember mine getting to untouchable temps either....

I charged it overnight for about 15hours a few days ago and had not used it till the flight.

I forgot to bring my volume attenuator, so I thought I could use the Slim instead.
So it goes from the seat's socket to a headphone adaptor, to an interconnect->slim->earphones.

Pretty sure it was plugged in all the way. If it was a 'plug in' issue, why did it cool down when it was charging?

Could it be because of the strong output?

---
Under normal usage from sources like my iPhone and DAC, the Slim works fine, cool and lasts more than 6 hours (more if I had time to test its limits). 

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #517 of 939

Quote:
Very nice, glad I'm not the only one that hears the Slim gives a nice warming presentation.  Do you also feel (I guess hearing would be more accurate) a more full sounding with the RE-Zero and the slim and a bit more bottom end punch?

No more bottom end punch than straight out of the iPod so far. Just the usual positive effects of better amping such as less congestion on fast music, better instrument separation etc. Not a major change, but one that is apparent with some time listening. I'm not sure with the RE-ZEROs or my TF10s the Slim, especially including the TWAG LOD, has been a good value investment compared to a desktop rig (isn't that always true?) so it's something I'll have to re-visit once I get around to getting JH-13s or 16s where the difference might be more clear.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #518 of 939

Quote:
No more bottom end punch than straight out of the iPod so far. Just the usual positive effects of better amping such as less congestion on fast music, better instrument separation etc. Not a major change, but one that is apparent with some time listening. I'm not sure with the RE-ZEROs or my TF10s the Slim, especially including the TWAG LOD, has been a good value investment compared to a desktop rig (isn't that always true?) so it's something I'll have to re-visit once I get around to getting JH-13s or 16s where the difference might be more clear.

Hrmm I guess it's just me then.  I find when listening ti certain songs when amped vs unamped there is a bit more thud with the slim, though I guess it could be considered part of the overall positive amping affect.  While I know the Fuze isn't the best source ever, the pico along with the RE0 does reveal some flaws of both the source and music files (primarily), and even more so on some music songs. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #519 of 939
One of the positive benefits is the volume control, which is excellent beyond words.  I can apply just a tiny bit of pressure to the edge of the knob and get an equivalent tiny bit of volume increase or decrease.   Don't get me wrong about the improvements though, they are there with the RE-ZEROs using the Slim, but in relative cost terms they look a bit odd.  That's why I suspect if I'd spent 4 figures on IEMs, it wouldn't look as odd but would make more sense. I imagine it would make more sense audibly as well.  For me, the Slim is an experiment to see if I can get a usable and enjoyable portable rig happening.  I'm going to write up a more comprehensive blog post on it at some stage, as I've bought some other, quite interesting gear to play with.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #520 of 939
Please keep in mind, hi-fi wise i am uneducated and you might not agree with what i say but its what I hear.

wow, i finally got to use the Slim with my S:flo and SM3 for an extended listening.  Originally i thought there was no difference or it was slight and wouldnt justify the extra luggage. i was wrong.  without the Slim, the s:flo and SM3 sounds exactly what it is. earphones with great separation and clarity. with the slim, the separation and impact was increased.  The best way i can describe it is that i felt like i was in the recording studio with them as they played.  i had the volume down lower but the impact and separation was greater.  I greatly underestimated the Slim and I think ill continue to use it as long as my finances hold up. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #521 of 939

Quote:
One of the positive benefits is the volume control, which is excellent beyond words.  I can apply just a tiny bit of pressure to the edge of the knob and get an equivalent tiny bit of volume increase or decrease.   Don't get me wrong about the improvements though, they are there with the RE-ZEROs using the Slim, but in relative cost terms they look a bit odd.  That's why I suspect if I'd spent 4 figures on IEMs, it wouldn't look as odd but would make more sense. I imagine it would make more sense audibly as well.  For me, the Slim is an experiment to see if I can get a usable and enjoyable portable rig happening.  I'm going to write up a more comprehensive blog post on it at some stage, as I've bought some other, quite interesting gear to play with.

Haha you don't have to tell me how odd it is.  Fuze ($80), RE0 ($99) and Slim ($300), L6 LOD ($20), there's something wrong with that picture, but right now I'm content and it makes a great small and portable rig.  The Slim is quite a fun toy to have :D

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #522 of 939
does anyone have a pic of the shadow and pico slim next to each other... i want to compare the size between the two

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #524 of 939
Wee I got mine yesterday... I am number 156, it got stuck in customs grrr.

But nice little map, I just made a lille angeled mundorf IC to cowon s9, sounds gret. But...

With my s9 at max volume, and the slim at "4 o´clock" the music is at about normal listening levels. My god old Move goes to around 12 o´clock. Is the slim not that strong or?

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #525 of 939
It's a bit hard to understand your post.  But, I think I know what you mean.  For myself with the LOD on the Fuze and RE0, for my normal volume of listening the Slim is around 6-7 O'clock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back