Pico Amp/DAC or Iqube V2
Aug 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

k1ite

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I have been a lot of research for the past two weeks and decided that I wanted to either go for the Pico Amp/Dac or the Iqube V2. I will be mainly using the amp through my Iphone 3GS for mobile use and my Mac Alum at home. Also the headphones that I will be running is my Yuin Pk1, OK1, G1A, and AKG 701.

My interest is more on bass due to listening to happy hardcore and drum & bass. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 19
Pico Amp/DAC or Iqube V2 - that is one of the best unanswered questions at the moment. I am looking forward to comments on this as well.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 19
I am sure PICO may be more suitable to you, as you like bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 19
bass would be iqube V1 as it has more bass than iqube v2. pico has deep but not as heavy as iqube v1. iqube v2 seems to have same level of bass as pico to my ears.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by behwatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass would be iqube V1 as it has more bass than iqube v2. pico has deep but not as heavy as iqube v1. iqube v2 seems to have same level of bass as pico to my ears.

Were you comparing the iqube V2's DAC vs DAC from another source -> V1? Or maybe the V2 wasn't burned in as long as the V1? Just wondering where the V1 vs V2 differences stem from, since it's in fact the same amp.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you comparing the iqube V2's DAC vs DAC from another source -> V1? Or maybe the V2 wasn't burned in as long as the V1? Just wondering where the V1 vs V2 differences stem from, since it's in fact the same amp.

I am comparing just the amp part alone.
smily_headphones1.gif
It sounds totally different and it is already burned in.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 19
sorry, this is not a personal slight, because I like quite a bit of electronic music, (not happy hardcore I must admit) I think the resolution of iqube will be of no use to you with happy hardcore. iqube is quite clean, analytical and some would say cold sounding, this would accentuate the sometimes lifeless mechanical pounding and plastic voices of happy hardcore. the warmth and presence of pico will suit your music preferences better IMO

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i would also like to know how the v1 and v2 compare more thoroughly,, moreover, i have read the pico has the best dac but the amp is less powerful than the predator,, how does the iqube dac compare,,,would it be best to use the pico dac with the v2 or the pico dac with the predator,,,,

note: my predator sounds much better whilst using my other dac toslink fed analog line into predator, and then switching back to usb dac on predator dosent seem to cut it, much quieter, more hiss and ,ess detail.

i think i read aslo that some prefer the iqube dac/amp combo to the ppico dac/amp combo????

thanks

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would also like to know how the v1 and v2 compare more thoroughly,, moreover, i have read the pico has the best dac but the amp is less powerful than the predator,, how does the iqube dac compare,,,would it be best to use the pico dac with the v2 or the pico dac with the predator,,,,

note: my predator sounds much better whilst using my other dac toslink fed analog line into predator, and then switching back to usb dac on predator dosent seem to cut it, much quieter, more hiss and ,ess detail.

i think i read aslo that some prefer the iqube dac/amp combo to the ppico dac/amp combo????

thanks

The amp of the Pico has twice the power, not less.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks

Both the iQube V1 and V2 have the same amp circuit, so they should sound the same. The Predator DAC is not at the same level as iQube and Pico so there is no comparison.

There maybe something wrong with your Predator or computer, my Predator is dead quiet.

The iQube and Pico are both extremely good, it is a personal preference which one is better. My taste and music preference is different from you, only you can tell which one is better.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by behwatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can anyone else confirm the this statement?

does vi have a usb dac or no? whats better about the v2, is it lacking the bass?

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the iQube V1 and V2 have the same amp circuit, so they should sound the same. The Predator DAC is not at the same level as iQube and Pico so there is no comparison.

There maybe something wrong with your Predator or computer, my Predator is dead quiet.

The iQube and Pico are both extremely good, it is a personal preference which one is better. My taste and music preference is different from you, only you can tell which one is better.

so there isnt a difference in bass performance betweent he v1 and v2?

also i hear the amp on the predato is better than the pico

Users who are viewing this thread

Back