picking a portable source for flac
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ichiveritas

New Head-Fier
Interested in opinions on a portable source for flac that would give good sound quality with my UE TF10.
Im not interested in using any extra components amps what not.  Its my hope that I can get something on the smaller side that would work out well.  I dont need a ton of storage I wanted to be able to use the device for working out etc.. I bought a sansa clip plus but it took a dump on me first day and to be honest I didn't think the sound was as impressive as I had hoped for.  But I did not get a chance to really check it out.

Thanks for any advice.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 23
Depends on your budget.

- any of the HiFiMan players
- most Cowon
- some iRiver players
- rockboxed iPods

I cant even remember if Sony support FLAC, but I dont think so.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Nanite N2, Fuze+.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 23
Oh god, don't get the Fuze+. That thing is a usability nightmare. Whoever thought touch keys are good, and then in that quality, needs to get his developer-brain checked. Terrible.
Also no, Sony doesn't support FLAC.
ichiveritas, did you rockbox your Clip+? I got mine today and at first it was... meh. I will definitely get something else once icecreamsandwich gives me the chance to use my phone with a portable dacamp like the E10. Especially the soundstage was so very congested it was disheartening. Now after rockboxing we are talking about something very different
wink.gif

Will I still get something better later on? Certainly, there is room but now there is no feel of urgency anymore.
Sorry to hear your's bit it early but won't you get a warranty replacement?

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 23
As far as the clip plus I picked it up for a really cheap price.  They said they wont have that model coming in anymore.  I took the refund and thats where it sits.  I did not rockbox the sansa.  Let me tell you what I all have sitting around.  I have the UE TF10 that I want to use.  I have an old 30 gig ipod video with a screen thats tough to make out.  I have my phone a samsung epic 4G and I have a second gen shuffle.  Im not completely opposed to using what I have.  I have been using my phone right now since it plays the flac files.  I rockboxed the ipod years ago and it crashed on me so i reset it.  I could try that again if that the way to go but I have the screen problem.  I would try another sansa i liked the small form factor.  Im just interested in getting the best sound I can with my IEM's without adding an amp and other components.  

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 23
I enjoy mine and would recommend it. biggest drawback supposedly is the lack of a line out jack in case you were wanting to use a portable amp with it. Some people claim the double amping doesnt make much of a difference but I have not tried it. I also owned a HM-601 and I will say the Cowon is a much higher quality product in terms of build quality. I had to RMA my HM601 three times. Its battery life was also about 1/5 that of the J3 with a much clunkier UI and no touch screen.

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 23

Thanks man thats solid information to consider I have been looking at the HM stuff as well.  With the cowon J3 is there any difference between the models other than the disk size?
Quote:
I enjoy mine and would recommend it. biggest drawback supposedly is the lack of a line out jack in case you were wanting to use a portable amp with it. Some people claim the double amping doesnt make much of a difference but I have not tried it. I also owned a HM-601 and I will say the Cowon is a much higher quality product in terms of build quality. I had to RMA my HM601 three times. Its battery life was also about 1/5 that of the J3 with a much clunkier UI and no touch screen.

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

I think you've just sold me on the X7 - for all the complaints about usability, at least the thing seems to work for 90% of users. Too many 601 horror stories for my liking - it seems you either pay for the 601/801 or play Russian Roulette. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 23
Colorfly C4? IMO it is by far one of the best looking portable music players, it plays FLAC and contains high quality DAC chips, to the extent that people using laptops have used them as portable DACs and have only said good things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back