Pick my new Grado headphone!
Jun 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sh00t4par

Head-Fier
I got and love my DT880/600, DT770/80 Pro for games/bass but man I love my rock/metal. Led Zep, old Metallica, G-N-R, Pantera, AC/DC, you get the idea. I have read that Grados are very well suited for this and I am very interested in trying them out.

So as you can see in my sig I got the DacMagic and Woo Audio 3+. What Grados would u choose with this setup. If a diff kind of amp would be better please mention that too. I have no need for portability and will be using these at home. I'd like to not go over $500 total for any Grado and amp (if needed). So please try to not get too pricey unless you know....ah heck this is head-fi just go with what you feel would sound awesome I'll deal with the consequences :)

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 32
Used Grado RS1 or RS1i, failing that then the HF-2. All would go really well with your Woo3+.

BTW, RS1s and Zeppelin go very, very well together!
L3000.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 32

Quote:
Used Grado RS1 or RS1i, failing that then the HF-2. All would go really well with your Woo3+.

BTW, RS1s and Zeppelin go very, very well together!
L3000.gif

Really? That is good! I was worried that the WA3+ would not be a good amp for Grados with their low impedance.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 32
Funny thing about Grados, they sound really good with good tube amps. I have heard them with Woo3, Woo6, and obviously my MAD Ear+HD and all were really good (although the synergy with the MAD amp and RS1s is about the best I have ever heard).

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 32
I could not imagine wearing ANY grados for gaming. Those things are the pinnacle of ouch. I use DT770 pro too for gaming, and even these need to be taken off after a while just because of the clamp simply. But if I had to wear Grados for 6+ hours I would die.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
I could not imagine wearing ANY grados for gaming. Those things are the pinnacle of ouch. I use DT770 pro too for gaming, and even these need to be taken off after a while just because of the clamp simply. But if I had to wear Grados for 6+ hours I would die.

Its just a matter to get used to them, or just choose the most comfy model for you. Preferences on cans usage may vary. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 32
Lol, do people actually consider Grados to be semi-comfortable? I'm asking out of pure curiosity. I tried the SR80 and 225 at a local store and both of them hurt my ears after 5 minutes.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
Lol, do people actually consider Grados to be semi-comfortable? I'm asking out of pure curiosity. I tried the SR80 and 225 at a local store and both of them hurt my ears after 5 minutes.

Well it depends on many factors...like the head or ears size, etc. I knew a couple of guys who used them for occasionally gaming. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 32
I agree on the grado comfort. I recently got a pair of 60i's but I can't wear the bowls as my ears touch the edges of the pads and the driver. The comfies on the other hand are better but I get about 20-30 minutes into listening before I have to take them off. Maybe you have to adjust to it. It's a shame because I love the sound (except for the harsh treble I'm hearing and lack of bass) but the comfort kills me.

edit: Wow grados for gaming!? The soundstage seems a little small to me for that but then again all I've got to go on are the 60i's.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 32
Yeah, sorry to hijack your thread. Do you have a local guitar center or another musical type business that has reputable grade headphones? It's tough to pick headphones for someone. If you can't demo them then I would suggest grabbing the pair you're most excited about and if you don't like them return it and try the next pair.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 32
x2 on the used RS1

Given your budget, I would skip the SR225 (too harsh for my ears) and go for the RS1 (silky smooth like chocolate buttah).

You can also change the sound by using different pads. Bowl pads are the default but you can buy flat pads. Do a search and you should be able to find comparisons.

Groovin' to Amos Lee with my HF2 via MPX3 SE... tubey goodness

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:

I actually do find my Alessandro MS-1i with bowls to be somewhat comfortable. I only start to feel some very mild itching after 5-8 hours or so which can be alleviated by repositioning the pads.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 32
I have the Hf2s and i would strongly recommend them for your tastes in music. Unfortunately i have no experience with tubes so i cant speak for them. I have read that the RS1s are better than the hf2s but i haven't heard them.

And i find grados very comfortable i can wear them for 2+ hours without too much. But the pads really have to be broken in. At first they can be very uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back