pick me a new source (accuphase?)
May 28, 2004 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
well, it is time for me to buy a standalone CD player source for use with my headphones... I don't think my $600 RME soundcard is good enough for my weebl/Omega II setup or the gilmore balanced reference / PS-1 or ATH-L3000 setups I have (plenty of other headphones to add to those).
tongue.gif

I went to the local electronics store, and there was a nice assortment of japanese manufacturers but not much in terms of US or european ones (in japan right now if you haven't guessed yet). the salesperson has suggested the accuphase models, namely the DP-67 or DP-77, and I was wondering how these are in comparison to other players that I can get (in the US or otherwise... I'm going to be here for a few weeks so I may get a good source here if the price is good. but if I can get better for cheaper in the US, I will wait).

how much do the above models go for in the states, and what are some nice redbook (I guess I will stay redbook for now, don't have any SACD or DVD-A so unless they are a lot better for the same price, I don't see the need to get one) players that I should be looking at in the up to $5k range? something cheaper is preferable too. (so I can get more headphones, heh)

May 28, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 54
5K!!!
Although you specify CD player without high-rez formats at this price I'd think high-rez players do a mighty fine job with standard CDs. And theres nothing wrong with being future-proof (if SACD/DVD-A survive).
I like the Esoteric. Japanese site American site

6 Moons review
"Put differently, if you were looking for a CD player in this price range, you owe it to yourself to audition this universal machine as a bona fide RedBook contender".

May 29, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 54
well, considering how I have a $1400 PS-1, $2000 ATH-L3000, and soon to have an Omega II... and on top of that a gilmore balanced reference and a blue hawaii for amps, $5k or so isn't too much for the source.

as for the format, I don't have any SACD or DVD-A and I hear that the better redbook players can reach the level of the newer formats so I was going for a standard CDP due to this. besides, the store I went to seems to like the accuphase models over the esoteric (they had both)... I'll bug them more about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

so does anyone know much about accuphase CDP's??

May 29, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 54
The Wadia 301's replacement (the 302) is even better (than the 301), and sits squarely within your price range.

jefemeister brought a prototype of it to a Head-Fi Meet at my house, where it wowed all who heard it.

Following is a photo I took of a production 302 from the "Wadia tour" thread.

IMG_0834_302_front_panel_whole_500wide.jpg

I'm not one to give much of a hoot about how a piece of audio gear looks, but if you're an audio component aesthete type, the 302 is pretty stunning to look at in person.

May 29, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Jude - A few Q's

The Wadia faceplate = Aluminum? How thick?
The rest of the Wadia - what material? How Thick?

What is the Wadia 6 that you have?

The 302's face plate appeared to be of varying thickness, with the thickest parts being the outer edges, which, as you can see in this photo, are pretty thick.

Regarding the rest of the 302: behind the front panel appears to be a more standard metal chassis, about the build quality of that section of a Sony ES player. The 861 and up feature vault-thick aluminum panels on all sides.

Regarding the Wadia 6: it is a loaner from Wadia. I've spent considerable time with Wadia's 861, and, from prior visits, have some familiarity with the signature sounds of almost all of their current offerings. The Wadia 6 was Wadia's first one-box CD player, and one of the components that helped solidify their reputation as makers of top-notch digital audio gear. I believe the 6 has a 19-bit DAC, and, from a technical standpoint, that's about all I know about it (but I may ask to see any documentation Wadia still has about it to learn more).

I wanted to know how Wadia's older house sound differed from their current products. I'll say more about it another time. The "19-bit" Wadia 6 has made even clearer to me that, for redbook CD's, a "24-bit" DAC doesn't necessarily mean better. The current Wadia products are better, but the 6 would hold its own against many a top-notch current high-end CD player. It also illustrates that Wadia has known how to do high-end digital gear for a long time (this particular unit was made in 1993, and the model introduced in 1992).

The 6 has an 861-type chassis, with the monster panels on all sides, but it's not as wide -- maybe 3/4 the width of an 861.

For the short time I've got it, I'll probably pull in a BlockHead from the HeadRoom loaner program to use from the Wadia 6's balanced outs (it does have single-ended outs, too). When we have our next Wadia-hosted Head-Fi Meet, I'll ask jefemeister to bring the 6 out as one of the available demonstration sources so other Head-Fi'ers can here it, too.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't make clear that the Wadia 6 is no longer being manufactured, and, from what I can tell, not terribly common to happen upon.

May 29, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 54
alright, I will check out the wadia players that jude mentioned. I'm sure there is somewhat of a bias towards whatever the store has in stock or can sell to me (hehe) so thus the accuphase models.

I wonder if there is a place that I can listen to these wadia CD players before I buy them.

May 29, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 54
Seems there is a sizable Wadia appreciation society here
icon10.gif
. And they may be perfectly justified in their loyalty, but FWIW I will go against the grain.

I think the CDPs above the 3K price are all so good it is merely a matter of taste or nuance of sound that determines which player is right for you. Above 3K excellence is assured. Take your pick Simaudio, Gamut, Cary, Audio Research, Ayre, Meridian, Krell, etc. And the redbook performance of 3K+ multiformat players is still worth comparing to the stately one trick pony.

I'm sure you can even hear the flagship Sony player in Japan, which is about 3K, for the purpose of perspective regarding price and performance?
From a 1993 Stereophile listen to a Sony SCD-XA9000ES-"Against the $14,000 Linn Unidisk (reviewed elsewhere in this issue by Kal Rubinson), the Sony had slightly greater low-frequency extension, the left-hand register on Robert Silverman's Beethoven piano sonata CDs (OrpheumMasters KSP830) sounding slightly more robust. The players were virtually indistinguishable in the midrange and treble, but if I had to swear, I'd say the Linn was very slightly drier overall. The singers on Cantus' new Deep River CD (CTS 1203), for example, sounded a little farther away from the mikes, the mix a little lusher, via the Sony."

I'm just pointing out that everything above a certain price seems to be exceptional and a lesser priced or less popular beast may be the perfect fit.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 54
I'll chime in supporting the Wadia line...it does things to music that just amaze me.

I remember speaking to jefemeister about Wadia sales and he mentioned that they do very well in Japan. My guess is that you should have little difficulty turning up a dealer in your area. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Regarding the rest of the 302: behind the front panel appears to be a more standard metal chassis, about the build quality of that section of a Sony ES player. The 861 and up feature vault-thick aluminum panels on all sides.

ayt999, you won't regret buying a high end source, especially with all those nice headphones lying around. There are a few good choices out there, but I have always loved Wadia cd players.

The 301 is an awesome player. I own one and I love it. The 302 offers a more liquid smooth sound. I have yet to compare them side by side, but I can tell you they are different sounding players.

The front panel of the 301/302 is almost 3/4" thick at the top. Top and side panels are high quality brushed anodized aluminum. Don't agree with you here Jude -- much nicer than any of the Sony ES players I've seen (with exception of the SCD-1, which is a beast)

I am looking forward to comparing the 301 to the Meridian G08 at Hirsch's meet next weekend.

May 29, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 54
jefemeister->Canman->Jude->Hirsch

Quality of the product aside (which is obviously extremely high), I detect the next source "flava-of-the-month".

If Tuberoller got one, it'd be a slam-dunk
wink.gif
!

May 29, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
jefemeister->Canman->Jude->Hirsch

Quality of the product aside (which is obviously extremely high), I detect the next source "flava-of-the-month".

If Tuberoller got one, it'd be a slam-dunk
wink.gif
!

LOL - true BUT the flava-of-the-month has to be affordable by a majority of the populace right? This worked for the ATH-A900, HD-650, MH CD-25, PS-1 etc. I dont see too many people getting a Wadia anytime soon
tongue.gif

At 4G's plus change...its not exactly cheap...wonder what is there inside it that makes it so expensive. Seriously - even if they carved it out of solid quartz and inlaid it with Diamonds...a CD Player shouldnt cost 4-5 G's - and I suppose there are CDP's that cost more than that?

I can understand a Ferrari or Porsche being expensive compared to a Toyota camry...but in the USA - both cars will get you where you want in exactly the same time
tongue.gif

Me wants Wadia, Me cant afford Wadia...me upset
frown.gif
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back