Pic of my poor modded Portas...
Jun 27, 2002 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Yesterday, after series of tests I found nice way to improve mid region presence in KSC-35 and Porta family phones. I popped out the plastic grill cover (always black) in front of the driver under the foam using small screwdriver (knife also works). I made a hole in the center of it, destroying 3 pieces of plastic holding center cap and finally smoothing the surface on both sides using soldering iron carefully. Returned grille back in place and put on foam.
Sounds now a little more open, maybe lower bass is more present, but most importantly, the lower mid and mid region is more there!

Pic is attached below
smily_headphones1.gif

You can try this if you have spare/broken Portas with grille intact and want other (better balanced) sound.

Your
Moonwalker

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 5

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Moonwalker!

Respect! You're one of the courageous guys here...

I'm interested in this modification, but although I own two pairs of Portapros, I'm in doubt if I should dare it. Yes, I certainly could do it (technically), but the fact that it's irreversible...

I guess the removing of the center piece primarily causes a loss of treble, because of the lack of the compression chamber which has been formed by it. And, well, I'm not sure if I want this to happen. One thing I have done is to cut a 2 cm hole in the foam pad (covered by the obligatory nylon gauze) to gain clarity – with success!

Greetings to Prague!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jun 28, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 5

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!

Thanx for your responses!
biggrin.gif

Ken, I lost a lot of foams and some cables or adapters.
wink.gif

I decided to use the modded driver on my KSC instead on original Portas because of using KSC much more on streets.

Below is a pic of them!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Keep modding & responding!

PS: Surely the modded drivers have more details, not harsh highs, just in the pleasing way...

Your
Moonwalker

Users who are viewing this thread