Pic of Grado 325 mod
Sep 9, 2001 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 25
Great job, MR...............they look great! Now where's that WD-40 and a feeler guage?
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2001 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Or you can get the 225 which also have the silver grills

That wouldn't work.I decided a while back that there are really only three distinctly different "Grado sounds".

1-the "plastic Grado" which is SR-60 to SR-225
2-the "metal Grado" SR-325
3-the "woodie" (hehehe) which is the RS-1 and 2

Each group is not only different sounding but look totally different also.I own the "Plastic mutant Grado" Alessandro MS-1 which is somewhere between the SR-80 and 125 so group 1 is covered and have plans for the 326 and RS-1.Now I may have to have both a silver and black 325 or a black 325 and one of the classic silver Grado cans.Decisions,decisions,decisions.

Rickmonster

Sep 9, 2001 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 25
True, but I really meant that the black 325s are hard to get. If he wants the look, it is much easier to get the 225s and perform the mod.

BTW. the black 325 are part black metal and part plastic no?
Could this have an affect on the sound?

Sep 9, 2001 at 3:57 PM Post #22 of 25
These are identical to the current 325 except for the newer pads and the color of the aluminum.

Sep 9, 2001 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Half of the main housing is aluminum (the half that the earpads go over is plastic, and the half that holds the mesh is metal.)

So I guess that the plastic part is over the whole metal housing?

Sep 9, 2001 at 4:44 PM Post #24 of 25
Ok.. you know I can post exploded view pics of these black 325's I have if someone wants (I bought these brand new in 1993 or 4.) But the construction is as follows:

The main part of the driver housing (the larger part, the part that retains the mesh and that connects to the headband arms) is *black aluminum*. The second smaller part of the 'housing' (that slides into the metal part, the part that the earpads attach to and that includes the speaker itself) is black plastic. This plastic part is very much smaller in size than the metal part, and the plastic part slides INTO the aluminum part.. basically all you see of it is about 1/16 inch and then the flange that the earpads hook on to.
Once you separate these pieces, you can see that the wire mesh is retained in its place by an aluminum bushing, which presses the mesh tight from behind and is then glued in place. Removing the glue around the bushing enables it to slide out, and also allows the mesh to be taken out. The back of the speaker magnet was blacked out with a magic marker at Grado (you can tell by the traces and by the slightly purple color.) I didnt try to remove the speaker, and I would never try that. If I had a speaker problem I would send the lot to Grado; maybe have them upgrade the speakers while they were at it! But I dont expect problems obviously.

I bought these around the time just after the first Stereophile review of the HP1. Stereophile is based here in Santa Fe, and that review really got me hungry for the HP1. But none were available locally, and Albuquerque shops only had the 325 so I went that way.

Sep 9, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

The back of the speaker magnet was blacked out with a magic marker at Grado (you can tell by the traces and by the slightly purple color.)

the black was all worn off when i opened up mine, so i had to do a touch up with a sharpie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back