PHONON SMB-02 - HOLY GRAIL
Jan 26, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #61 of 146
I bought the DS DAC Edition, after getting the Korg DAC for a song on eBay Canada and noticing the headphones from the same seller. Can't compare to other headphones, as these are my first since I had Stax electrostatics about 30 years ago.  I've had them for several months, now.  Playing hi-rez files including DSD through the Korg DS DAC 100m, they sound terrific.  Streaming CD-quality music from Tidal over my cell-phone, they sound terrific.  They are easy to drive and my first-gen Galaxy Nexus phone has no trouble with them.  Then I bought six more, the last ones the eBay seller had.  Gave one to my son (also an "audiophile" like me), one to my nephew, kept one for spare, and sold the other three. Two of these went to buyers in the pro audio industry that use them on the job, and they wanted their own for at home.

I prefer NOT to spend money on looks, so I appreciate the plain-jane look of these. I feel that I have paid for performance, not cosmetics.  Construction is robust enough that I do not fear that they will break or wear out prematurely.

Seems the negative comments here are from people that have not actually listened to them.  Are their comments really worth the time it takes to read them?  IMHO, no.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #62 of 146
Ive got this pair with DAC 100m, what a lovely combo.
Im rather ortho fan but I have to say it, base line is very, very good, superrior than bigest ortho drivers, deepest and much more impact.
Separation isnt so good as mosters TDS but vocals are similar, warm and accurate.

I have to say, they look like a cheap crap, but they sound like 1MLN$:)

Very, very good overall headphones, easy to drive, universal, light, comfortable, have no match for triple of its price:)

best regards

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #63 of 146
I picked them up at Stereo Exchange. I was quite impressed with them so I brought them home. Having 6 sets of cans already caused a bit of a 'stir' so I am selling them on ebay (drrjohn)

May 17, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #67 of 146
Looks really nice. What were the benefits? Which source are you using? Thanks, K.

Thank you.
Highs are more clear and have more micro details in them than with the stock cable. One of the best treble are have ever heard in this product niche.
Balanced termination, as always, impacts instrument and channel separation. 
The source is Japanese DAP - VentureCraft Soundroid VALOQ OPA627AU which is very neutral. 
I had some other headphones in the past like Focal SP, Ultrasone Signature Pro, Fostex TH-X00.
To me Phonon is better than all above mentioned cans. 

May 17, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #68 of 146
Thank you for your mail and your explanations. I have had my pair for a few years now, I picked them on a whim after listening to the Talking Heads from my iPhone. I found them to be quite detailed, really enjoyable with house/techno music, but also some classical music. I do like the quality of the stock cable, its length (even though I am not DJ-ing!). I would not mind trying a balanced version though - I find this interesting with IEMs, but one really need an appropriate source. SE is fine - at least for me, in particular in a (trasn)portable setting. Cheers, K.

May 30, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #69 of 146
I have SMB-02 and FA-003Ti. Phonons have more detailed sound, less warm, but with a clear, maybe even more punchy bass. I'll post more thoughts later.

However, the main thing to keep in mind when considering them, is that Phonons are in no way over-ear or "air-tight fully enclosed" (from the website). Actually, it's a bit difficult to compare them because when you put FA after Phonons, they're so much more comfortable and isolating, with just the music around you and no noises or other feelings, it's hard to judge the sound quality only. I've read they're small but if I knew how exactly small they are, probably I wouldn't get them.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #70 of 146
Has anyone tried the Phonon 4000?

Apparently they use the same driver as the SMB-02 (according to Turntablelab) in a mobile package.

Haven't tried the SMB-02 either so I'll have to pick either one at some point for sure!

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #72 of 146
Yes I have the 4000's along with the leather ear pads. Love them. I think they are tuned slightly bassier for DJ and 'urban' use than the SMB-02, which I haven't tried. Definitely keepers for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back