PHONON SMB-02 - HOLY GRAIL
Jun 12, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #46 of 146
DS-DAC Edition (Left), Original Edition (Middle) and MDR-CD900ST with YAXI Protein Leather pad (Right).

The DS-DAC Edition is slightly thinner than the original. The cable is also slightly thin. Bass is tight. I recommend original SMB-02.
In Japan, DS-DAC's street price is decreased to $170 to $200, cheaper than the original ($300).

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 146
I bought the phonons and do like them.
I mainly listen to my big rig a Modwright bdp , Modwright ls 100 preamp and kwi 150se power nap through Trenner & friedl speakers.

I can say that thru the Modwright headphone amp on the LS 100, the phonons sound v satisfying.
For the price, the headphones are cheaper than most audio tweeks, so I am happy.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #48 of 146
How big are the pads? They look in between on and over ear. Some measurements would be most welcome. Thanks.

Any other impressions or only three guys (so far)?

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #52 of 146
  DS-DAC Edition (Left), Original Edition (Middle) and MDR-CD900ST with YAXI Protein Leather pad (Right).

The DS-DAC Edition is slightly thinner than the original. The cable is also slightly thin. Bass is tight. I recommend original SMB-02.
In Japan, DS-DAC's street price is decreased to $170 to $200, cheaper than the original ($300).

does the SMB-02 DS-DAC EDITION sound the same to the original version ?
which one do you prefer compare  phonon and cd900st ?

btw does the YAXI Protein Leather pad change the sound of the cd900st ? i need new pads for mine as they are worn out :p
where can i buy those ?

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #53 of 146

does the SMB-02 DS-DAC EDITION sound the same to the original version ?
which one do you prefer compare  phonon and cd900st ?

btw does the YAXI Protein Leather pad change the sound of the cd900st ? i need new pads for mine as they are worn out :p
where can i buy those ?

Almost the same. But the DS-DAC Edition is more flat than the original.
The CD900ST is lack of low-bottom playback capacity. I can't fully hear Roland AIRA TR8 kick with CD900ST.
I prefer the DS-DAC edition, but the CD900ST with YAXI pads is more comfort than SMB-02s.
YAXI pads slightly change the CD900ST sound. Bass is more powerful and treble becomes flat.

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 146

Almost the same. But the DS-DAC Edition is more flat than the original.
The CD900ST is lack of low-bottom playback capacity. I can't fully hear Roland AIRA TR8 kick with CD900ST.
I prefer the DS-DAC edition, but the CD900ST with YAXI pads is more comfort than SMB-02s.
YAXI pads slightly change the CD900ST sound. Bass is more powerful and treble becomes flat.

how about the ds-dac with YAXI pads ?:p i believe it will fit it ?:p

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #55 of 146
Anyone has anything to say about the DS-DAC edition to sway me either way?

At the minute I use a pair of Allesandro MS1 for referencing music production- I want a(nother) pair of flat headphones that I can use outside of the studio when required- currently I have a pair of DT770's for that job which are great at blocking out external sound but nothing I'd be able to mix on or trust for referencing. 

I use the Korg DS-DAC 100 which is how I found out about these- the phonon's have some nice reviews out there but (as in this thread) it's always difficult to seperate sales pitch and reality- good to see a few higher postcount members hve chimed in and backed up some of the nice things that have been said.

I'm thinking I might import a pair at the end of the month as it's going to be the only way I can test them out- again, what I'm looking for is a flat & detailed headphone that is an improvement on my MS1's in the studio (and my 770's outside of it- though this wont be too difficult), particularly in the lower end. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #57 of 146
Well I managed to persuade my wife to buy me these (the DS-DAC ed) for Christmas, they arrived today and my first impressions are that they are very nice indeed- lovely low end, though not hyped, flat response and very detailed all the way through the range. Very happy so far, more later when I've ran them with my Korg DS-DAC they are made to pair with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back