Phono Cable Wanted
Oct 15, 2002 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Can anyone here make me a phono cable for a moving magnet cartridge? You would need to use some sort of low-capatence wire, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make. I'd do it myself, but i no longer have access to a soldering iron.

Oct 15, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 6
should no one reply i'll do it for a mix cd (seriously). just order the parts and decide what you want to do with cable geometry.

keep in mind i've never soldered catridge pins before, but i'm willing to give it a shot.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello,

TimSchirmer : Low capacitance wire is was commonly used for wide frequency response cartridges that were used for Quadrophonic records (4 - channel).

My guess is that the inner core was made thinner to up the resistance so that a capacative load can be driven easier.

To drive a capative load you add series resistance. (made the wire thinner).

The cable you want to make :

It is from the cartrige to the headshell fixture ?
Inside the tonearm to phono jacks ?
phono jacks from the turntable to your phonostage(amp) ?

Carlo : Don't solder the pins of a cartridge, that will damage the cartridge. Use small lugs commenly found with the cartridge and headshell.

Gavin

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 6
if by 'phono cable" you mean the one from turntable to phono syage preamp this is not the slam dunk it may seem.

First you need to either
A-match the connector that attaches internally to the tonearm or
B-if no internal connector , solder to the tonearm itself !

And careful attention must be paid to "dressing" the cable , that is actual orientation or it will cause tonearm dragand changethe anti-skating.

Having said all that , you can make a really nice cable with 24 guage magnet wire

vinylrickermonster

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 6
gavin,

by cartridge pins i meant the lugs, but didn't know the name. from your very informative post i'm of the opinion that you need to post more than 52 times a year
smily_headphones1.gif

rick and gavin,

damn guys, thanks a lot for the information. i'm up for trying magnet wire and experimenting with my (now orgin live rewired) spare tonearm (rega rb250). would either of you mind sharing some more tips? gavin, how do you feel about magnet wire? rick, i'm thinking i'll braid the magnet wire to aid with rfi issues but leave it bare (with the enamel coating). any suggestions otherwise?

best,
carlo.

Oct 21, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 6
Hello,

Carlo : I live in South Africa and my online time is limited by cost as we have only one telecommunications company (Telkom) wich is goverment owned and as a result being online costs more that it does elsewhere.

I do most of my head-fi posting when I am at Collage but If I had a permanent connection I would most surely post more.

As to the magnet wire ? I not exacly sure I know what you are referring to. (insulated copper wire ?).

For cartridge leads (from cartrigde to headshell) : I suggest using silver wire with lugs on. You may also try oxygene free copper.

If you are rewiring the tonearm my father tells me that the rega tonearm will most likely have silver wire or good oxygene free copper inside already.

Gavin
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back