phone with decent SQ?
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Ratzilla

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a new phone (my old one was stolen, along with my yuin pk1, grrr) and I am wondering if there are any phones out there that have decent sound quality? The reason is that I like having the ability to listen to music wherever I go and not have to carry an extra device with me. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 18
Sorry about the PK1, the person who stole it probably doesn't know its value, double the pity.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 18
HI

That is realy not cool
frown.gif
, sry about that. However it is how it is...

I recommend you the Nokia 5800 Xpress-music, It sounds really good. Meanwhile i gave away my creative x-fi, because it sounds better.

Here is the thread about:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/no...66/index3.html

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 18
I know this may not be popular here, but the iphone is IMO the best sounding phone available. also has HUGE functionality too IMO. the iphone 3G has one of the best, if not THE BEST sound streaight out of the HP jack out of the whole apple DAP line-up and if you use an amp with it via lineout its superb. only beaten by my DIYMOD out of the players I have well those using the internal DAC anyway. so the iriver iHP120 is kinda cheating
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this may not be popular here, but the iphone is IMO the best sounding phone available. also has HUGE functionality too IMO. the iphone 3G has one of the best, if not THE BEST sound streaight out of the HP jack out of the whole apple DAP line-up and if you use an amp with it via lineout its superb. only beaten by my DIYMOD out of the players I have well those using the internal DAC anyway. so the iriver iHP120 is kinda cheating
tongue.gif

The iPhone 3G's are very good sounding devices. I think the Zune gives me a more balanced truer sound with slightly more soundstage detail then all Apple products I've tested and the Zune has the best HP out of all DAP's....It's so good a LOD is not even needed for the Zune because the HP out is so clean. Also despite the iPhone having all those features to me someone who loves media would find a iPhone completely useless because of the 16gb max capacity which wouldn't even hold a quarter of my songs. The iPhone is like a Ferrari with a Mini Cooper engine. If low capacity is no biggie for you the iPhone is a superb device...

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

I'd beg to differ on that one my friend.

I can't offer a suggestion as to what phone's offer good sound quality, but I wouldn't say that the iPhone 3G is that great.
I had one for a week or so and wasn't that impressed (compared to the Sony A818 or the D2) so I started RMAA'ing it loaded with my IE8's. It had a fairly flat frequency response (although not as good as the Sony's) and was fairly similar to the D2. But once any EQ preset was applied to it, it was all over the place, was defo showing rolled off bass. Also, the stereo crosstalk wasn't great.
This may all change via the lineout obviously, but from what I heard of the iPhone, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking it it as an audio device, headphone out if they've got their eyes on a Zune, Sony, Cowon etc aswell.

2cents

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 18
thanks for the advice. what do you guys think of the sony ericsson walkman line? are those decent? I'm also interested in getting a smartphone...which pretty much means blackberry or iphone. how is the sound quality of a blackberry?

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 18
If you don't mind out of date, consider the Nokia N91. Blackberries are not so good at sound quality.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the advice. what do you guys think of the sony ericsson walkman line? are those decent? I'm also interested in getting a smartphone...which pretty much means blackberry or iphone. how is the sound quality of a blackberry?

erm why not just get a sonyerricsson smart phone then? why do americans think iphones or blackberrys are the only smart phones available?

ok your canadian but same difference

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 18
I've had walkman phone 580i and the SQ was almost useless. I'm pretty sure they've improved upon since then but I do agree that iphone sounds a world better than them.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm why not just get a sonyerricsson smart phone then? why do americans think iphones or blackberrys are the only smart phones available?

ok your canadian but same difference

Outside of BB, Apple, and Nokia (S60), who else is making a decent quality smart-phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack in North America? SE devices shouldn't enter the conversation when it comes to smart-phones as they have only one worthy device: X1i/a; unless you love WM and enjoy paying ~$700 USD for a device, this isn't for you.

Anyway, I would recommend the Nokia N78/N96/5800/N79 if you are looking for a great phone with a ton of other high-end features.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 18
There are Sony Ericsson smartphones that runs on something else other than Windows Mobile. The G900 runs on Symbian OS with UIQ 3 platform.

Just a suggestion to the OP: check out the E75, which is based on the XpressMusic 5730 platform. You get a E-series durability and built quality and XpressMusic SQ. As a bonus you get WiFi, HSDPA and integrated GPS receiver.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 18
i have heard good things about the blackberry bold sound quality. i think there is a thread somewhere here. i have played with one but never listened. the screen is awesome and the media player has a nice interface. it is definitely up there with the iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back