Phone choice with integrated amp?
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

UTF

Head-Fier
I am thinking to upgrade my phone from HD590, but at this point I still have no plan for a dedicated headphone amp. I was pretty happy with the sound of HD590 directly out from either my Marantz CD5001 or NAD C325BEE's phone jacket. So the question is what could be the best phone (HD600/650, K701 or DT880) that be driven decently with the NAD amp? I listen classical mainly, and will prefer something comfortable to wear. Thanks a lot!

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks, but I am not sure if NAD can drive these headphones well. In general, which one is easier to drive. I like the sound of HD590 when playing instruments (violin) but not with symphony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming your NAD can drive these headphones well, take your pick. It's a matter of preference. There are those who enjoy any one of these for classical. The DT880 is probably the most comfortable of those four. Maybe you would prefer one of the DT990 models.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 16
I have never heard any of those headphones but they are what I have been researching to upgrade from my HD595's too and from my research I would think the AKG 701's would be the best for classical as they are the most detailed and neutral out of your selection. Going by what I have read anyway.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but I am not sure if NAD can drive these headphones well. In general, which one is easier to drive. I like the sound of HD590 when playing instruments (violin) but not with symphony.

I don't know which of these headphones would sound the best for classical / symphony without being driven well. If you don't think the NAD will drive any of them satisfactorily, maybe you would be better off considering easier to drive headphones.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 16
I have budget up for a HD650, but not for that plus a dedicated amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I am wondering if it is workable to use the headphone output of an integrated amp with HD650 etc at that league.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Yes, it is HD590, a discontinued model after HD595 coming out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD590? Never even heard of those. Sure you don't mean HD595 or maybe HD580?

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

So I am wondering if it is workable to use the headphone output of an integrated amp with HD650 etc at that league.

My NAD C352 drives my HD650s very well. NAD integrated amps and receivers in general have excellent headphone circuits, and I think you will be happy with the results with your C325BEE.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well I say it's good that you are questioning whether your integrated amp would be enough to power any of these headphones to your satisfaction. The best option may be to try one and see for yourself, but again I don't know which one would be your best bet.

There's a point at which easier to drive headphones can be preferred over these harder to drive headphones. And that hypothetical point varies and depends on the listener, headphones, amp, source, etc. How well your amp drives headphones is too much of an unknown for me to suggest any one of these headphones as a sure bet. Some people are content with their under-driven HD600/HD650 etc, and some are not. I think you're at a point where you need to try one of them to see for yourself. Then, if you find your amp is not up to the task, you'll be in a better position to make a more informed decision on your next purchase. Perhaps a less risky alternative (your call) would be to consider easier to drive headphones in the first place.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My NAD C352 drives my HD650s very well. NAD integrated amps and receivers in general have excellent headphone circuits, and I think you will be happy with the results with your C325BEE.

This should make your decision much easier. Now you need only choose one of these headphones for classical / symphony.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks a lot for your comments! I know it is best to try out, but this is just not very feasible to where I live now. I am trying to take a safe bet and maybe any of these headphones will not disappoint me.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 16
This may make my life easier in a sense.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back