Phone Advice
Dec 17, 2008 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ruel

Head-Fier
Good day:

I currently have a Samsung A237 and am immensely frustrated with its limitations. I pair it with my itouch to get the capabilities I need, but still lack in connectivity and would like to consolidate into one device.

I am looking for:
  • Calendar synchronization with iCal
  • E-mail compatibility w/ IMAP and Gmail
  • GPS w/ directions, does not have to be turn by turn
  • A competant web browser over a 3G network
  • Basic and simple video recording
  • QWERTY keyboard, physical
  • Address book synchronization with Address Book on OS X
  • Wi-fi compatibility
  • Bluetooth connectivity
  • USB connectivity
  • Durable

Being on the AT&T network I have narrowed it down to three options, I am looking for reccommendations and such.
  • BlackBerry Bold
  • Samsung Epix
  • HTC Fuze

Thanks,
Ruel
dt880smile.png

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 16
The Bold is a fantastic device, that would probably be my first recommendation. Sliding keyboards are ok (I'm currently touting an HTC Kaiser) but if you've ever used a phone with a dedicated keyboard, it just doesn't compare. I still miss my old Samsung Blackjack.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 16
Iphone 3G
Samsung Omnia (Solid Windows OS alternative)
HTC Diamond
HTC Pro (Like the diamond wit a keyboard)

Those are my recomendations, but I'm not sure which of those are AT&T because I dont live in the US of A.

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 16
nokia e71 is the only thing im vouching for every time. not sure if it does ical but its awesome, i use it all day.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I narowed it down to either the HTC Fuze or the Blackberry Bold

@z50j I believe the HTC Pro is the same as the Fuze. Have you used it?

When faced with a decision between WM and BB interfaces the BB will be a better choice every time. WM is neat but much less reliable than the BB. You will encounter apps running wild and never turning off and they will require that you go to the task manager and shut them all down and or restart your phone like an old Windows ME machine. The BB will never need to be restarted un-necessarily and will run quicker and the track ball is the cats meow.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 16
Looks like the WM OS is really as bad as its reputation leads one to believe. I thought that i would give it the benefit of the doubt, seems as though that was a mistake.

I'll be heading to the AT&T store today to see about my contract renewal and upgrading to the Bold.

Also, to those suggesting the Nokia E71, it isn't one of the phones offered by AT&T. At least not in my area.
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Since this is an audio forum, not a phone forum, I want to say a word toward phone audio quality. I have gone thru a lot of phones, but not cell phones. I avoid the cordless phone in the house for the same reason I avoid cell phones entirely: ionizing radiation. Cell and/or cordless phones are bad for you, really bad, but that's another rant. My first home phone was a basic black AT&T, and it cost fifty bucks. Since then, I have wised up - my current fave is a black AT&T 140 wall phone with adjustable volume and ringer. It was way cheap at the DAV, and is simply more pleasant to the ear than the beige AT&T 230 wall phone upstairs in the kitchen. Any time I get a call that promises to be more than short, if I am upstairs, I will excuse myself, and take it on the downstairs phone, the 140. There are low, mid, and high fidelity telephones, just as with headphones...I hope this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back