Phonak PFE vs. Monster Turbines
Feb 20, 2009 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

jrazmar

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone compared this two? I have the PFE and it's just amazing. I'm not an audiophile but definitely I have the ears for good sound. There's another thread about the Monster. Did anyone ever have a chance to bring these two head-to-head? Appreciate your responses.

Go Team Phonak!!!
atsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 64
From what I've heard, the MTs are dynamic and are better for bass (stronger, louder) and preferred for genres like hip-hop, rap etc.

PFEs are balanced armature and have a more accurate bass and are more detailed especially in the mid and high frequencies.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 64
Nutshell version...I own both, and like both. On balance, I prefer the Phonaks for their amazing detail, comfort. The Turbines are definitely dynamic, so the bass is much more pronounced, but not overwhelming. I use the small stock silicone tips with the Turbines, and fit is nice, and they are easier to remove and reinsert when walking, etc. But two very different phones. I want to keep both.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 64
I can't get used to the Turbine. I have subjected them to 50+ hours of burn-in. The highs are just too rolled off.

The presentation is veiled. The bass is strong because it looks like some one turned up the gain on a sub to max and decided to drown out the fronts.

There is too much mid bass emphasis... I listen to the same song on my home stereo, SCL4 and Phonak PFE. When I listen to the Turbines notes that should be lower are produced higher in the low frequency range.

Some of the details get washed out with the bass that doesn't happen on either of my other IEMs.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 64
I'll need to throw my view into this based on the Turbines. My current favorite balanced armature IEM is the Triple.fi, but the detail in the Ety ER-4x is very involving, but sometimes too analytical. I have found that the Turbines improve on the bass response (very impactful, but still can't conclude if it has a pronounced mid-bass hump or not), while retaining the high-end detail and delicacy of the UEs and Etys.

Take this as one person's opinion. Everyone's ears are different, and how each IEM seals in the ear will affect the sound signature. I believe you won't go wrong with either choice.

The big finding from all this is that you are getting very high-end sound today for a very reasonable price regardless of whichever one you choose.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 64
Larry, it definitely seems that way. If they do synergize with your ears and the fit, the Turbines are truly remarkable.

I would love to try the PFEs and compare.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 64
with a proper fit, i don't get very recessed highs at all. it could be your ear canal is bunching up the audio output. mine did that with a certain set of silicon tips as there is much left over space at the end of the tip past the plastic nozzle.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 64
Agree here on that as well. I am getting more into the Turbines as they burn in (at 30 hours with pink noise and listening), in fact. For a dynamic phone, I don't hear recessed mids/highs either, and the bass is really calming down (though still very full of impact).

To me, the Turbines are a great workout/out and about phone, since they deliver a robust clean sound with very little hassle (no amp needed, no over the ear insertion required, etc.). I don't get any microphonics either, when walking, etc. Maybe is is about fit. I tried Complys with them and they were fine, but for some reason, the small silicones just fit me well, provide an excellent seal, and don't bug me, as other silicone sleeves tend to do. Go figure. I would not want to choose between the PFEs and the Turbines in the sense that owning both is really great, since they offer almost completely different listening experiences (both very good for the money, as Dobber65 says).

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with a proper fit, i don't get very recessed highs at all.

Same here. Sometimes I think I can detect a bit of a bump in the upper vocal range, but everything beyond it is still there, nice and crisp. I haven't done any proper burning in yet, opting to go the "listen when in use" route so far...but I've also been happy to find the soundstage widening over time. Not as 3D as the IE8 or Westone 3, but definitely less narrow than it was initially. Lows are still prominent, perhaps a tad more controlled, but I can certainly see how they wouldn't be to everyone's taste. For someone who finds the PFE perfect bass-wise, the Turbines will probably sound too boomy. I personally prefer a degree of thump in my bass (at least the types of bass that call for it -- kick drums and electronic beats and the like), which the Turbines ably provide.

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 64
Anyone compared PFE and MT with Denon C700 or C551 ?? I am looking forward to upgrade my IEM gear. Shockingly, lately i have been using my KSC75 more and i am in love with it (i even bought 2 more pairs as backup). As many of you know already, KSC75 doesn't have earthshaking bass unlike it's rival PX100 (i have both and compared them, put PX100 to it's case and using KSC75 ever since). Weirdly, i used to like PX100 sound until i bought Denon C700 which has same sound signature as PX100, but tighter bass. And recently bought KSC75 and it changed my preferred sound to more of high and mid emphasize.

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 64
Haven't heard the Turbines but the PFE's have amazing detail. They're very balanced and you can hear pretty much everything. Some people compare their detail to the ER4P which is definitely saying something. I've listened to a lot of these songs so many times and never heard a lot of things I'm hearing now. These are admittedly my highest price IEMS, well a tie with the SE210's I got when they came out. The PFE's are unquestionably much better than the SE210's, and much better than my Nuforce NE-7M's which are worth a lot more than their $50 price tag.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 64
im sure the phonak are amazing - however some may just prefer the sound of dynamics versus armatures. i am one of those. i have owned the er4s and loved it and the se500 and um2 but in the end, when i went down several price brackets to the atrio m5 and finallyl to the monster turbine, my thinking toward driver types changed dramatically.

there may not be a better one, but better for an individual i really believe exists.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 64
x2 on shigzeo's comments. Turbines really changed my view on dynamic IEMs after years with BAs.

But individual preferences on sound, style, and fit still are important, so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back