Phonak Perfect Bass 012 & 022 - new models
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

shaun_g

Member of the Trade: HiFi Headphones (UK)
Just wanted break the news that the new Phonak Audéo Perfect Bass earphone models (standard earphone: 012, earphone with iPhone mic/button: 022) are about to be released in the UK - see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496179/phonak-aud-o-perfect-bass-earphones-new-models-pfe-012-022

Phonak Audéo PFE 012

We've had a couple of pairs of the new models to play with in the office and we're all loving the way they sound.  At 80 GBP they are really pushing the boundaries of what can be expected at this price point.

We've been really impressed by the improvements in punch at the bottom end with these new models, compared with the existing PFE 111, 112, 121, 122.  The extra bass kick doesn't appear to sacrifice clarity in the lower mid-range, which is impressive considering they are single driver balanced armature earphones.

Shaun

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 86
Thanks for the heads up. I really like the PFE 1xx series, hopefully the 0xx series is even better.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 86
My understanding is that the new models use the same driver, but has been tuned for better bass response.  This was in response to feedback from customers and reviews in the audio press.

As I mentioned the levels of clarity are up there with the existing PFE models in my opinion.  The cabling quality is as good as the revision 2 PFEs.  The packaging has been improved to be more durable for shipping (it also looks great).  Overall it seems to be improvements.  Phonak have cut back on the accessories (carry case, Comply Foam tips, ear guides, etc), which I presume is why the lower price point.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 86
That is great news! Thanks a lot!
I guess I'll finally bite the bullet and buy those :) :) :) I've been considering the PFE112 for too long without acting
dt880smile.png

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 86
If this is the PFE plus bass and selling for only £80, people, we may have a winner.

Can't wait for comparisons with the original PFE's, or maybe even get a pair to compare myself.

(Note to self: EXAMS AND REVISION FIRST)

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 86

Quote:
My understanding is that the new models use the same driver, but has been tuned for better bass response.  This was in response to feedback from customers and reviews in the audio press.

According to your page the 012 has a sensitivity of 100 db/mw.  The 112 has a sensitivity of 107 db/mw.  This is a strong indicator that some significant change has been done to the driver or it's a different driver entirely.

Regardless, if it sounds like a 112 with more bass, they already have a winner!

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 86
I got some good news that will put smile on those of you who already own a PFE as well as those who are think of getting one: The new PFE-PB is indeed using the same transducers as the old PFE, the change is in the filter. A new set of bass enhanced filters (I believe it is green colored) will be used instead of the old grey/black filter, and the sound will of course be different. The good news is the filter is exchangeable, so current user can turn their PFE into PFE-PB by getting the new filter when it becomes available. Vice versa, new PFE-PB owner will also be able to 'upgrade' their sound in the future by getting the PFE grey/black filter if they want to. The sound signature is said to be quite different from the current two filters so now we have three different sound in one package. Also the lowering in price is to be more competitive in the current market. The build quality and design is the same as current PFE but you won't get as many accessories as mentioned above.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 86

Quote:
I got some good news that will put smile on those of you who already own a PFE as well as those who are think of getting one: The new PFE-PB is indeed using the same transducers as the old PFE, the change is in the filter.

This is great news indeed!  I can't help but be an Audeo fanboi when I hear stuff like this.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 86

Quote:
I got some good news that will put smile on those of you who already own a PFE as well as those who are think of getting one: The new PFE-PB is indeed using the same transducers as the old PFE, the change is in the filter. A new set of bass enhanced filters (I believe it is green colored) will be used instead of the old grey/black filter, and the sound will of course be different. The good news is the filter is exchangeable, so current user can turn their PFE into PFE-PB by getting the new filter when it becomes available. Vice versa, new PFE-PB owner will also be able to 'upgrade' their sound in the future by getting the PFE grey/black filter if they want to. The sound signature is said to be quite different from the current two filters so now we have three different sound in one package. Also the lowering in price is to be more competitive in the current market. The build quality and design is the same as current PFE but you won't get as many accessories as mentioned above.

Cool, might want to try these out when they arrive. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 86
Quote:
Ok, but how do you explain the difference in sensitivity? :S

Changing filter alters the acoustic impedance, thus changing (lowering in the case) the overall sensitivity. In layman term it will be like 'adding denser filter gives you more bass but harder for the speaker to push'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back