Phonak Audeo PFE 232 Impressions.
Feb 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #18 of 50

Quote:
Where's my sharpening stone? LOL Good luck with your site, I've noticed it before.  As another point. The use of a word that would get blocked on forums also seemed out of place and way too blunt and unprofessional in a site looking to be so. 3/4 through the build section.

I've gone back and forth about that very topic with various other writers, readers, and just normal people not in the tech world at all. It's a purely subjective argument dependent on a number of factors and I'm determined that one side will never be able to convince the other for or against the use of such words. Was it not the best place to use it (if there ever is one)? Perhaps. But I do not write because I want to be seen by/acquired by/work for your typical journalistic entity (such as the NYT, WP, or any other "old school" news outlets). 

Most of the time I write more conversationally. Whether you consider that unprofessional or not is not something I lose too much sleep over anymore. Everyone is different, how they prefer to consume news/information is different, as are the own moral/spiritual views on things and how that affects how they read/consume news and information. I'll never be able to please anyone fully and will honestly turn many people away in disgust. It is what it is. I write about what I want, how I want. If you happen to enjoy it, well, then I'm happy. If you don't, I'm at least willing to hear you out as to why. 

The above isn't meant to come off as harsh or condescending. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 50

Quote:

You "haven't really visited" this place for 12-18 months, yet do you know that "many from here" have compared the W4 & 232? The 232s have been around for just a few months and the W4s for exactly 12, both IEMs well within the time you "haven't really visited" head-fi.

NOTE: This is my last post on this thread.

"Haven't really visited" is not the same as "haven't visited". I may have hit a link into here searching for something, but have not actively spent an hour+ sifting through articles. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:
"Haven't really visited" is not the same as "haven't visited". I may have hit a link into here searching for something, but have not actively spent an hour+ sifting through articles. 

Well, that in itself may be a problem, don't you think? I don't mind the tone of your article, personally, but the content doesn't have enough, well, content to be called professional. A lot of non-professional reviews here are a lot more detailed, with more (and more precise) comparisons. Sifting through documents may be boring, but research is as important a part of a journalist's job as his writing -- if not more.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 50

Quote:
Well, that in itself may be a problem, don't you think? I don't mind the tone of your article, personally, but the content doesn't have enough, well, content to be called professional. A lot of non-professional reviews here are a lot more detailed, with more (and more precise) comparisons. Research (usually, sifting through documents) is as important a part of a journalist's job as writing -- if not more.

If you're writing a review, seeing somone else's impressions or thoughts about a certain subject can unconsciously impact your own review.  It can actually reduce validity in your actual impressions/findings.  Research after publication can confirm what you're hearing, but not before (as you might subconsciously try to hear what they hear).

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #22 of 50

Quote:
Well, that in itself may be a problem, don't you think? I don't mind the tone of your article, personally, but the content doesn't have enough, well, content to be called professional. A lot of non-professional reviews here are a lot more detailed, with more (and more precise) comparisons. Sifting through documents may be boring, but research is as important a part of a journalist's job as his writing -- if not more.

Hence why I'm working at moving above and away from lower-end IEMs.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #23 of 50
Quote:
Research after publication can confirm what you're hearing, but not before (as you might subconsciously try to hear what they hear).

But he would have known to address the PFE durability issue. I'm sorry, but I don't think that what you preach, voluntary ignorance, makes for better reviews. To try the IEM before reading about it, fine, but after making his own opinion, then he should research his subject -- before publication.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 50

Quote:

But he would have known to address the PFE durability issue. I'm sorry, but I don't think that what you preach, voluntary ignorance, makes for better reviews. To try the IEM before reading about it, fine, but after making his own opinion, then he should research his subject -- before publication.

I meant in terms of sound...  Sorry.  Reading impressions about a certain IEM that you're reviewing as well can impact your judgement on sound subconsciously.  For the cable addressing, yes, any IEM with a removable cable has been said to have better build and value overall.  Even if you are out for a few years, this statement is still well known.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 50

Quote:
I've gone back and forth about that very topic with various other writers, readers, and just normal people not in the tech world at all. It's a purely subjective argument dependent on a number of factors and I'm determined that one side will never be able to convince the other for or against the use of such words. Was it not the best place to use it (if there ever is one)? Perhaps. But I do not write because I want to be seen by/acquired by/work for your typical journalistic entity (such as the NYT, WP, or any other "old school" news outlets). 

Most of the time I write more conversationally. Whether you consider that unprofessional or not is not something I lose too much sleep over anymore. Everyone is different, how they prefer to consume news/information is different, as are the own moral/spiritual views on things and how that affects how they read/consume news and information. I'll never be able to please anyone fully and will honestly turn many people away in disgust. It is what it is. I write about what I want, how I want. If you happen to enjoy it, well, then I'm happy. If you don't, I'm at least willing to hear you out as to why. 

The above isn't meant to come off as harsh or condescending. 

That's fine but there are better descriptions to be had. As you age, that usage may diminish in 'common conversation'. I'd assume a more formal approach if I were looking towards this as my vocation. It wasn't done for artistic effect so probably not a good spot for it, IMO. Your site, do as you please.
etysmile.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 50
Hello, I owned the PFE 232 and sold them because of the to much present treble...

I kept my W4 that to me, sound more natural in the treble region and is less fatiguing during long period listening...Sometimes the PFE 232 can even become sibillant on some tracks.

The "sub" bass of the PFE is incredible, I admit, but medium not precise enough to my taste, on the W4, they have, to my ears, more body and details...

PS: thegadgeteur, Audeo Phonak is in Switzerland, not in Sweden....

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #29 of 50
Hello, I owned the PFE 232 and sold them because of the to much present treble...

I kept my W4 that to me, sound more natural in the treble region and is less fatiguing during long period listening...Sometimes the PFE 232 can even become sibillant on some tracks.

The "sub" bass of the PFE is incredible, I admit, but medium not precise enough to my taste, on the W4, they have, to my ears, more body and details...

PS: thegadgeteur, Audeo Phonak is in Switzerland, not in Sweden....

I had the opposite experiences with my PFE vs W4R in terms of treble. The W4s had much more presence. Neither were sibilant though. The W4s seemed slightly too present for me at times while the PFEs never did this. This made the W4s seem slightly aggressive at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back