Phoenix gd or Woo 6SE?
Jun 10, 2009 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

akg702

Head-Fier
Hi

I still looking for an amp around 1.5K.

The woo 6SE with tube upgrade is about 1.2k
The Phoenix is 1k before June 30th.... and re cable the AKG for it.

I have the AKG 702 now and getting the Senn 650.... which will be a better amp I should get and why?

Thanks again

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think a big question would be, do you like tubes or solid state?

x2. just decide what you need between tube and SS. I ever had the same dilemma headroom balance and RSA Raptor, and finally decide to get tube after getting some listening experience on tube amp.

Also, you may make a decision based on the can you will use. If your headphone pairs really well with balanced setup like Sennheiser HD600/650, you may lean toward the balanced amp. or if your phone is too complicated to be recabled and you don't want to risk and spend a lot of money there, you may go for the tube.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 32
I have heard the AKGs and Senn's on the Woo amps and can say that I really enjoyed them. I personally have not tried them on and SS amps, but the general consensus is that they pair better with tube amps.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 32
i am also considering Phoenix gd or Woo 6SE
I have D5K and K702 cans.

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 32
Thanks guys

I tested the Woo 6SE maxed with the Sen 650 and the K701/702 at cam jam. It sounds great and looks amazing.

The phoenix spec looks amazing and with all the balance inputs and outputs and preamp at $1000 ... is a great deal. But the sound is unknown to me and hope.... someone will get their before June 30th and review it.

Tube or SS, I think tube is more fun but I like the electrostatic headphone and amp sound the most..... But with my budget I will stay with SS or tube for now.

Phoenix over 6SE anyone?

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 32
Audio-gd ships internationally once a week, so Phoenix may be sent out on the 14th or 21st at the earliest, so that leaves just a short time for first impressions. Maybe something to consider in your decision:

Quote:

Phoenix sound is monitor like (very neutral and less coloration, just as " a wire with gain" ), its SQ depends most on the quality of the source and recording, if the source or recording is not good, then the sound quality will not be good either. Please keep in mind and think about this aspect if monitor like sound will suit your taste before you place an order for Phoenix.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 32
The Woo is known to sound very good with just about any headphone. I don't know much about the Phoenix and have only read part of the thread on it. It seems like a very good amp as well, but not quite sure which headphones pair best with it. Might want to wait for more impressions by those who have sprung for the Phoenix, since it is still a very new amp.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo is known to sound very good with just about any headphone. I don't know much about the Phoenix and have only read part of the thread on it. It seems like a very good amp as well, but not quite sure which headphones pair best with it. Might want to wait for more impressions by those who have sprung for the Phoenix, since it is still a very new amp.

I'm no expert but the Phoenix could be paired with any headphones. The sound is suppose to be verry neutral. So you'll pretty much hear the source and your headphones. The phoenix doesn't add sound coloration according to kingwa.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no expert but the Phoenix could be paired with any headphones. The sound is suppose to be verry neutral. So you'll pretty much hear the source and your headphones. The phoenix doesn't add sound coloration.

It may all be true, but it's all speculation at this point.
Also, neutrality is in my opinion one of 6SE's many strong points.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chevy or Cadillac? Woo of course.

The Phoenix, by virtue of not being out yet, is impossible to evaluate at this point - we can only guess. However, apparently one of our members has astral-projected himself to China and now knows the truth.

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Phoenix, by virtue of not being out yet, is impossible to evaluate at this point - we can only guess. However, apparently one of our members has astral-projected himself to China and now knows the truth.

200pxcasquetteahelice.jpg

How about if you tell us how being balanced will propell the Phoenix past the Woo when it comes to sound quality?

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 32
Thanks again,

I will wait till before the end of this month for a Phoenix review to decide.....

The last option I will go for the best....
A STAX SR-007 MK2 and a good Electrostatic amp will make me very happy for many years.

Phoenix seem a bit too much for a newbie like me but it seem more fun to setup the balance sources and cables for cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back