Philly Impressions 4/25
Apr 27, 2009 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pat1006

100+ Head-Fier
It was great getting to meet everyone! I want to thank everyone who came even Phong (I know I have to be spelling your name wrong) who dicthed his wife to come up from Delaware. I can't beleive I forgot to take pictures.

I really don't have much time to post impressions but I want to say that I could not decide between the hd600s and the hd650s. Everytime I thought I noticed a difference, I couldn't remember if it was truly different.

Also, I was truly surprised with the Ultrasone HFI-2200. I never heard about the phone before but I enjoyed listening to it.

I had to chance to listen to a pair of SR225s for the first time and I found them uncomfortable but not as bright as people make them seem.

Finally, I really enjoyed the ATH-ESW9s. They made me want to get new portables. I had a lot of fun listening to this can. I really wish these were not so expensive.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 11
icon_worthless.gif

Hope you had a nice time!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 11
I had a good time and enjoyed meeting the head-fiers. It was my first meet-up and that is big for a newbi like myself.

I loved the detail that the HD600 & HD650 had (been eager to hear them both) and also liked the GS1000 and k701 a lot.

The Head-Direct EF-1 had a nice warm sound and opened me up to Tube amps.

Since we are all in the city or close by I wouldn't mind meeting again with less of a lead time.

Thanks again Pat

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Glad to hear everyone had fun. Like I mentioned in the planning thread I couldn't make it because it was Blue White weekend here at Penn State plus the Pens/Flyers game was on (LETS GO PENS!), but if you guys are planning another I would love to join.

Oh and pics...

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 11
Pat, thanks for putting the meet together and ordering the lunch spread, that was awesome. It was nice to get back to a meet, it had been about two years. I listened to a few new things and got a chance to catch up on some old things.

GS-1000 - I listened to the prototype at the national meet a few years ago and hadn't heard one since. I like it. It had the Grado dynamics, but it had air and soundstage. This is a fun headphone but one that can be serious too. The downfall is a bright high end that had some serious sibilance. It reminded a little bit of the RS-1, which is also a near miss for me because of some strange stuff going on in the treble. I got a chance to listen on my Grace m902 and jellojoe's Dynahi with similar results. I'd like to spend some more time with them since I wonder if I can get past the treble trouble.

Ultrasone HFI-2200 - This is a fun headphone. It's balanced towards the bottom end just like the only other Ultrasone's I've heard (E7 & E9). But it has a more open sound and a smooth treble response. It's built nicely and I like the earthtone colors. It sounded great with kazsud's breakbeat electronic jazz. Thanks kazsud, I learned about some cool music.

AKG K701 - I remembered why I wasn't enamored by these but it took a few songs. They sounded spacious and alive with some live dead. I put on a good quality recording of Mahler 5, and nope, thats not quite right. There's a veil, a synthetic quality that covers everything. I switched to the HD650. Thats better but still not balanced. Then I switched to my HD600 and ahhh, thats better. Maybe I'm a creature of habit but the HD600 is where its at when I'm not listening to a top tier can.

Head-Direct EF-1 - I really liked this little amp. It had a big sound and was a fun listen with the Senns. I think there was a vintage tube in there but I don't know what it was. Nice value.

Koss ESP/950 - Sounded like a Stax Lambda from what I remember. Very smooth and detailed. Nice midrange. A little flat in the dynamics department though. I wonder what this can sounds like out of a good Stax amp. I think it might fare a little better.

Dynahi and Gilmore light - The Gilmore amps are just clean and smooth, it was nice to hear them again.

And yeah, the Phils hit 2 grand slams tonight. Awesome.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon_worthless.gif

Hope you had a nice time!
biggrin.gif

This is my fault. I brought the camera and just forgot. Next time
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yeah, the Phils hit 2 grand slams tonight. Awesome.

I was at the game! I still cannot belive what I saw.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 11
I am glad that I made to the meeting (leaving my wife shopping alone happily). It was my first meeting experience, and I enjoyed it. Thanks everyone for planning the meeting and hosting me, an unnoticed last-minute attendent.
smily_headphones1.gif

First time I got chances to listen to headphones other than Senns. Among these phones, I found I love K701 more than HD600 for its clear sound on female vocals like Patricia Barber, but that phone is just uncomfortable on my head.

Between audio technica and grado, two portable phone options long in my mind, i like grado's sound a lot.

Last, I was disappointed to emu 0404 for its huge size, which I was thinking a lot recently.

Will be looking forward future meetings.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pat1006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my fault. I brought the camera and just forgot. Next time
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem!
Pictures are quite important, but the lack of such can be compensated by detailed impressions.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I felt bad that I could not go. :frowning2: Hopefully the next time I can... I just could not split myself in 2, I DO need to learn that one day... I am glad the people who did attend had a good time. Also goes to show that hearing headphones is in the eyes of the beholder. I did not not like the K701s at all compared to Senn 600s. Whether its my amp, source or what not I am not sure. Maybe I am just SO use to the Senns, I have no idea (had my 600s it seems like forever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back