Philly area Meet Jan 28th 2018 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #31 of 55
@talan7
Thank you for this heads up on Aqusta. I was watching them on ebay & amazon since they emerged, but 300 was too hi for me to jump.

Watched T o M site last 4 days and they came up today for 125 + 15 SH, totals $140 today & jumped on them. Site says they ship quickly from SanFran, CA or maybe other warehouses.

They 1st caught my attention as reminiscent of vintage classic Sennheiser HD-1000 Charleston model, #1000 made for Senn anniversary; others here said same.

It's possible Fischer Audio of Russia may be making these Telefunken (per ToM site add), and they make some great sounding, very well built finely crafted headphones.

The Aqusta are quite striking looking too, as others said here. Was not at the meet to hear them, but reading this thread is fun.

Thanks again for the heads up ! :beerchug:

I think you will like the Aqusta. They need lots of burn in though. Bass is nonexistent out the box especially. After so many hours, the bass just blooms. Also, they can take a tremendous amount of bass boost without distortion. They scale well too.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #32 of 55
Any link to that?

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #33 of 55
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #34 of 55
That was a great meeting. The studio was a fantastic place to hold it. I listened to a bunch of stuff.
Nothing critical since there was a bit of noise and I couldn't really tell the difference from one to another unless i cranked up the volume really high.

I liked the WA33 with the PS2000e a lot! It sounded like a great combo.
Also the McIntosh amp with the HE1000 sounded really detailed and smooth. These cans have a nice wide headspace as well.

I also really liked the Blue Hawaii with the Staxes. The 009 sounded a bit too bright and detailed. Maybe in a quiet environment.....
I really like the Omegas. They sounded similar in character to my LCD-Xs.

Overall great meet and nice meeting everyone.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #35 of 55
Yeah it was the Avantone that caught my eye. Pity about the lack of bass.

I am the person who brought those phones. I am not particularly a bass head, and thought the bass to be only slightly lacking. I had also been slightly displeased with the ear cups: not thick enough; too soft such that, in use, the inside diameter reduces too much; not a very good acoustical seal. I took an inexpensive gamble and purchased a pair of Brainwavz
HEADPHONE MEMORY FOAM EARPADS - XL SIZE - HYBRID.
This fixed ALL of my concerns, and also gave better center fill. Someone else please try this!

Steve

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #36 of 55
I am the person who brought those phones. I am not particularly a bass head, and thought the bass to be only slightly lacking. I had also been slightly displeased with the ear cups: not thick enough; too soft such that, in use, the inside diameter reduces too much; not a very good acoustical seal. I took an inexpensive gamble and purchased a pair of Brainwavz
HEADPHONE MEMORY FOAM EARPADS - XL SIZE - HYBRID.
This fixed ALL of my concerns, and also gave better center fill. Someone else please try this!

Steve
I've done that in the past with my rbh HP-2 cans, and it worked great. I know the design isn't for everyone, but I do find them pleasing to the eye.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #38 of 55
Such a shame that I am just seeing this now (Feb 10th!) I’ve been thinking about getting a Philly area audio meet up together, glad to see they’re already in existence! I will keep a lookout for the next one!!

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #39 of 55
What's this device on top?

10061365.jpg

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #42 of 55
To start, again I'd like to thank Lee for opening up his studio for all of us to gather together and listen. This was my first time driving out 9 hours and I must say I 'm very glad that I did. Sadly I've been super busy over the last few weeks Non the less, let's get right to my impressions!

The LCD 4 was nice, sadly with all the noise in the room I couldn't quite discern how much better it was from my own LCD 2. How ever, even with the noise it had a nice full sound, excellent tactility and that amazing Audeze planar bass!!!

I tried out the Diana from a Vinyl Setup, an sadly the on/over ear comfort combined with the odd headband style lead to a disappointing first listen. I imagine with a little more time I could properly adjust the headband and cups in such a way that they'd better fit my ears. Doing so would likely result in a much more memorable listen!

The Dharma D1000 was quite nice, easy to wear and pleasant to listen to. It had a nice tonal balance and amazing tactility! I enjoyed this with some Rush straight from Vinyl and I remember the mid range having this amazing naturalness and edge. Very enjoyable, so much so that I've been on the fence about getting one of these for my self!

Also pictured here is the Ether C Flow pair'd with the Yggy & Rag combo from Schiit. An honestly I wasn't a fan of this set up. It was much to dry and a little harsh almost.

The Audeze EL8 is a love or hate headphone from what I hear, for better or worse I how ever really enjoyed it! I did try it with two amplifiers, the Jot and the Asgard 2. The warmer thicker Class A Asgard 2 really helped balance out the aggressive sound of the EL8. It reminded me of the LCD XC in a lot of ways, and honestly it's price and similar aggressive sound were more acceptable in this price point. As far as resolution goes I couldn't tell how much better it was from the XC but I can say that I both enjoy it and would recommend it for any one that wants a good aggressive sounding closed back!

I ran the Focal Clear from my HM901 & Pico Power, from what I heard it's presentation was similar to the Elear but with none of the Elear's problems. So the bass was lowered and not so boomy, additionally there was a nice sense of presence in the upper mids! A very proper sounding open back for sure.

Now my Eikon was really magical with this Feilks Audio Tube! So much so I purchased a Psvanne tube for my own amp. I listened to Stevey Ray Vaughn's Voodoo Child with an AK 240 as a source and it was divine! It would be hard to describe what made it so great, but just trust me it's awesome! If you own any of the ZMF Dynamics I highly recommend getting a Feilks amp with some Psvanne tube upgrades!

Now, I got to hear the Ether C Flow out of both the Yggy & Rag and my own HM901+PB2, an frankly I liked it better out of my portable set up... maybe it was because I had full res 24/96 lossless local files and not 44/16bit Tidal as source, but from the right set up the Ether C Flow sounds very much like the HD 800, but with planar bass and a smaller sound stage. Still it was airy, tactile, quite resolving of both micro details and ambient noise! I liked it enough that I do intend to purchase a pair for my self in the future!

Sennhesiers HD 660S very much embodies simplicity, this being my first listen in a quite corner of the room I found it to do nothing wrong, and it sounded about the same out of my HM901 and Shanling M3s, so while it scales it doesn't scale too drastically. It's very much a plug and play device, sound signature was a fairly balance with just a touch of that Sennhesier mid range magic. Though frankly, given the price it didn't really impress me. Still there's something be to said for the convenience of not having to fuss with "pairing"!

To start, I want to thank @justin w. from @HeadAmpTeam for bringing his Blue Hawaii Build, he's taken a lot of time in carefully choose both the components and PCB for this model and it sounds wonderful! Honestly, I didn't like the SR 009 very much the first time I heard it, this time EVEN with the noise and only Tidal I was floored! There was a clean sense of power in the lows, both a sweetness and tactile presence to the mid range plus a nice sweet sparkle up top! Honestly one of the BEST headphones I've heard ever from an amazing amp!! Hopefully I'll own one of these one day.

The iBasso DX200 was also very impressive, given the single box solution and balanced modular amp I could certainly live with it as my only DAP. Sound wise was a touch dry with a nice sense of clarity and presence! It wasn't really dark nor bright just a bit lean with good clarity overall. Hopefully I'll get a chance to demo this again'st my HM901 here in the future!

This was my first time hearing an HE 6 and what struck me the most was the sound stage! I had never heard Miles Davis' So What presented with such a vast sense of space! It was something else, tonally I can't say I was a big fan of how these two pair'd together... but the sound stage alone was mind blowing.

An finally we have the second best system for last, second best in comparison only to the SR 009. Otherwise this was one of the best "universal" set ups I got to hear. While I wasn't a fan of the PS2000E in my own system, out of the WA 33 the PS2000E pair'd it's amazing aggressive sound with a beautiful sweet naturalness. Really something amazing, an while it was clearly a bit faster than reality to my ears or rather the envelope lacked some naturalness, it was still very pleasurable to listen to. I wouldn't want to have to be forced to choose between this or an SR 009 as the last thing I get to listen to/own.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #43 of 55
I'm glad you liked the EL-8s. I totally agree that the Asgard 2 seriously compliments their signature. I'm currently getting a Peterek cable mod done to run the EL-8s off of my new Ragnarok. I'm seriously curious how that goes. I'm not sure it will be as good as the A2.

I tried the Mod House Audio Argons at the meet and loved the sound. So much so that I mailed my Fostex T50s to Mod House basically right after the meet to receive the Argon mod along with a balanced conversion. I should have those any day. I'm definitely looking forward to it!!!

May 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #44 of 55
Going back to Post #35 in this thread:

I recently changed out the stock cable for a WireWorld Nano-Eclipse x 1.5 meters long, 6.3mm TRS on source end/3.5mm TRS on headphone end.

I think that it would be reasonable to say that the price of expensive headphones generally includes very good cables, and that the price of less expensive headphones includes less capable cables, from which I conclude that cable upgrades to less expensive headphones produce a greater degree of improvement than cable upgrades to expensive headphones.

Here I have a $200.00 headphone that I have more than doubled the price of by changing out the earpads ($35.00) and the cable ($175.00), and have ended up with a $410.00 headphone that ticks all of the "good" boxes: overall frequency balance, tonality, and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back