Phillips Citiscape Downtown better than Uptown?
Apr 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
Don't get me wrong, the Phillips Citiscape Uptown over-ear may be technically the better phone (thus more expensive), I seem to prefer the Downtown. The headband is uniform and rests easily on my head, while the Uptown's headband has ridges and seems to irritate the top of my head. Also, I find with me wearing glasses, the Downtown seems to make a better seal and have better bass response than the Uptown. The Uptown is also heavier but might have better soundstage.

I keep thinking the Citiscape Uptown should be the better headphone, since it's more expensive and a higher tiered headphone from the Downtown. Still, I seem to prefer the Downtown in nearly all aspects, expect maybe soundstage.

Is my thinking wrong on this issue? Is there something I'm missing about the Uptown?

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the Phillips Citiscape Uptown over-ear may be technically the better phone (thus more expensive), I seem to prefer the Downtown. The headband is uniform and rests easily on my head, while the Uptown's headband has ridges and seems to irritate the top of my head. Also, I find with me wearing glasses, the Downtown seems to make a better seal and have better bass response than the Uptown. The Uptown is also heavier but might have better soundstage.

I keep thinking the Citiscape Uptown should be the better headphone, since it's more expensive and a higher tiered headphone from the Downtown. Still, I seem to prefer the Downtown in nearly all aspects, expect maybe soundstage.

Is my thinking wrong on this issue? Is there something I'm missing about the Uptown?

The Uptown (from what I read in your post) is technically better than the Downtown, but you prefer the Downtown for a multitude of reasons.  You don't always prefer the better phone.  A lot goes into why a person prefers one 'phone over another (sound signature, quality, design, comfort, build, value, etc).

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
The Uptown (from what I read in your post) is technically better than the Downtown, but you prefer the Downtown for a multitude of reasons.  You don't always prefer the better phone.  A lot goes into why a person prefers one 'phone over another (sound signature, quality, design, comfort, build, value, etc).

You're probably right. I'm going with the Downtown.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:

You're probably right. I'm going with the Downtown.

Downtowns are great though.  I haven't tried the Uptowns though, so I can't comment, I do have the Undergrounds :)

May 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 20
I tried both earlier today at Best Buy. I actually preferred the Downtown as well. The Uptown sounded noticeably cavernous.

Also, the Downtown was surprisingly really comfortable, and not to mention, quite stylish IMO.

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 20
Now, has anyone compared those to the Koss Porta Pros? Do the Porta Pros sound better, though without the isolation?

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 20
I prefer my uptowns over Koss Porta Pros (I have both).  It is comparing apples to oranges since the portapros are open vs closed uptowns.  THe sound of the uptowns is more balanced vs bassy portapros.  I use both at work, and have found that I am not using the portapros near as much anymore.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 20
ThanX jk70007, for the illuminating reply! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 20
Now I am wondering how these Philips Citiscapes compare to the Sennheiser HD 419. Has anyone ever used both?

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 20
ThanX Barry S! This is very valuable information! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back