Phillips Citiscape Downtown better than Uptown?
post-8314747
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 20

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
21
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Posts
374
Likes
21
Don't get me wrong, the Phillips Citiscape Uptown over-ear may be technically the better phone (thus more expensive), I seem to prefer the Downtown. The headband is uniform and rests easily on my head, while the Uptown's headband has ridges and seems to irritate the top of my head. Also, I find with me wearing glasses, the Downtown seems to make a better seal and have better bass response than the Uptown. The Uptown is also heavier but might have better soundstage.
 
I keep thinking the Citiscape Uptown should be the better headphone, since it's more expensive and a higher tiered headphone from the Downtown. Still, I seem to prefer the Downtown in nearly all aspects, expect maybe soundstage.
 
Is my thinking wrong on this issue? Is there something I'm missing about the Uptown?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8314810
Post #2 of 20

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
7,006
Reaction score
476
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
7,006
Likes
476


Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the Phillips Citiscape Uptown over-ear may be technically the better phone (thus more expensive), I seem to prefer the Downtown. The headband is uniform and rests easily on my head, while the Uptown's headband has ridges and seems to irritate the top of my head. Also, I find with me wearing glasses, the Downtown seems to make a better seal and have better bass response than the Uptown. The Uptown is also heavier but might have better soundstage.
 
I keep thinking the Citiscape Uptown should be the better headphone, since it's more expensive and a higher tiered headphone from the Downtown. Still, I seem to prefer the Downtown in nearly all aspects, expect maybe soundstage.
 
Is my thinking wrong on this issue? Is there something I'm missing about the Uptown?



The Uptown (from what I read in your post) is technically better than the Downtown, but you prefer the Downtown for a multitude of reasons.  You don't always prefer the better phone.  A lot goes into why a person prefers one 'phone over another (sound signature, quality, design, comfort, build, value, etc).
 
     Share This Post       
post-8316226
Post #3 of 20

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
21
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Posts
374
Likes
21

 
Quote:
The Uptown (from what I read in your post) is technically better than the Downtown, but you prefer the Downtown for a multitude of reasons.  You don't always prefer the better phone.  A lot goes into why a person prefers one 'phone over another (sound signature, quality, design, comfort, build, value, etc).


You're probably right. I'm going with the Downtown.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8316260
Post #4 of 20

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
7,006
Reaction score
476
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
7,006
Likes
476


Quote:
 


You're probably right. I'm going with the Downtown.



Downtowns are great though.  I haven't tried the Uptowns though, so I can't comment, I do have the Undergrounds :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-8357366
Post #5 of 20

eortizr

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 3, 2012
Messages
28
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 3, 2012
Posts
28
Likes
10
I tried both the Downtown and Uptown, Uptown is way better phone in construction and sound
 
     Share This Post       
post-8359573
Post #6 of 20

EZPZ

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
114
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Posts
114
Likes
10
I tried both earlier today at Best Buy. I actually preferred the Downtown as well. The Uptown sounded noticeably cavernous.
 
Also, the Downtown was surprisingly really comfortable, and not to mention, quite stylish IMO.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8359949
Post #7 of 20

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
23
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,066
Likes
23
Quote:
I tried both earlier today at Best Buy. I actually preferred the Downtown as well. The Uptown sounded noticeably cavernous.
 
I did the same thing the other week and had the same impression.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8726614
Post #8 of 20

Alex Altorfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Posts
1,333
Likes
10
Now, has anyone compared those to the Koss Porta Pros? Do the Porta Pros sound better, though without the isolation?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8731177
Post #9 of 20

jk70007

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Messages
19
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Posts
19
Likes
11
I prefer my uptowns over Koss Porta Pros (I have both).  It is comparing apples to oranges since the portapros are open vs closed uptowns.  THe sound of the uptowns is more balanced vs bassy portapros.  I use both at work, and have found that I am not using the portapros near as much anymore.
 
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: Alex Altorfer
post-8733882
Post #11 of 20

Alex Altorfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Posts
1,333
Likes
10
ThanX jk70007, for the illuminating reply! 

 
     Share This Post       
post-8734013
Post #12 of 20

Alex Altorfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Posts
1,333
Likes
10
Now I am wondering how these Philips Citiscapes compare to the Sennheiser HD 419. Has anyone ever used both?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8734189
Post #13 of 20

Barry S

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
261
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Posts
1,183
Likes
261
I think the Uptowns are more comfortable because they're circumaural, but for on-ear cans, the Downtowns are very cushy.  The Uptowns have slightly better isolation (for me).
 
Quote:
Are the Uptowns more comfortable/isolate more then the downtowns?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8734207
Post #14 of 20

Barry S

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
261
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Posts
1,183
Likes
261
I prefer the Philips Uptowns to the HD419, HD429, and HD439.  I think the HD439 is the best of the lot and not a bad headphone, but the Uptown has better midrange detail.
 
 
Quote:
Now I am wondering how these Philips Citiscapes compare to the Sennheiser HD 419. Has anyone ever used both?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8734392
Post #15 of 20

Alex Altorfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Posts
1,333
Likes
10
ThanX Barry S! This is very valuable information! :D
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top