philips vs 'turtle beach' - specific requirement - is mike present
Mar 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kostadinnm

New Head-Fier
Hello. First to clarify that I need an over-the-ear headset that will hold the speaker with a single joint. I looked around a little bit and found two models that I liked(the choice is not much with such a specific requirement):
Philips CitiScape SHL5905
and
Turtle beack Ear Force N11

Philips're more to my taste, but I am not 100% what "microphone volume control" means, as I need them to have a mike. So, I might ask Philips themselfs about that, but still a second opinion on either of those or even a suggestion on another model will be welcome?!

Cheers,
Kostadin

Edit: I just bumped into the DP11 from Turtle beach, that is single-joined also - that might be the wisest choice?!

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 11
The Phillips headphone your are looking at has a microphone for cell phones only.  Are you looking for a headset for a game console or PC?  I'd suggest the following if you really wanted a headset rather than a headphone + external mic combo.

Razer Carcharias (PC)
Steel Series Siberia V2 (PC)
Turtle Beach X12 (PC+Xbox)

or if budget allows:

Triton AX 720+ (PC+Xbox+PS3)
Sennheiser PC 360/350 (PC)
Astro A40/50 (PC+Xbox+PS3)

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
The Phillips headphone your are looking at has a microphone for cell phones only.  Are you looking for a headset for a game console or PC?  I'd suggest the following if you really wanted a headset rather than a headphone + external mic combo.

Razer Carcharias (PC)
Steel Series Siberia V2 (PC)
Turtle Beach X12 (PC+Xbox)

or if budget allows:

Triton AX 720+ (PC+Xbox+PS3)
Sennheiser PC 360/350 (PC)
Astro A40/50 (PC+Xbox+PS3)

Great response, KetchupNinja!
Well, I need it for the PC only, though a 'mobile phone answering' feature will be welcome. Of the ones that you suggest, only the Razer, the Steel Series and the Astros(are a40 and a50 actually different models?!). As I said, I was leaning towards the Philips, which is known to produce great sound and not too deep bass.
So, the Razer and the Steel Series look a bit like "oldish" to me - I don't like their design. So, I'll have to look after which Astro model/modification will suit me best! Or maybe try some of the "Turtle beach" models?! Tell me which one has clearest sound?!

Thanks

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Sorry, but almost all headsets don't have a good 'value for money' sound. 
From my reading over the years I've noticed a lot of guys on headfi prefer to use real headphones and a separate mic, because you get greater value for money, and a massively better sound.

The only problem with going that route is the lack of features and a stereo plug instead of a USB connection (for console gaming).

All the turtles beaches and razor blades stuff I heard was over priced rubbish, and oddly enough, if sound quality only is what you're after, the Philips Cityscape should right now be at the top of the list.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Sorry, but almost all headsets don't have a good 'value for money' sound. 
From my reading over the years I've noticed a lot of guys on headfi prefer to use real headphones and a separate mic, because you get greater value for money, and a massively better sound.

The only problem with going that route is the lack of features and a stereo plug instead of a USB connection (for console gaming).

All the turtles beaches and razor blades stuff I heard was over priced rubbish, and oddly enough, if sound quality only is what you're after, the Philips Cityscape should right now be at the top of the list.

Well, I'd go after the Philips, if there's any way to connect it(along with the mike) to the PC!

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 11
I've seen many brands of 'clip-on' microphones online that you simply clip to the cable of your headphone or around your collar.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks, DrNickRiviera!
But there's another problem - the computer is enclosed in these cases that have front audio jacks. The cable of the cities along with the adapters are too short(~1.3 meters) for connecting to the back panel. The front panel seems to have one of those "cracking sound" effects, for which some googling showed poor isolation and wire-joints. I tried two different headsets and there was a constant "khhhhhhhzzhzhz" noise.
It would be great if there's a longer version of these adaptors(I couldn't find anywhere, though)?! I also have a digital output on the back - could that get used in that situation anyhow?! Otherwise, I'll have to try hard fixing the front panel, wich I don't know what's wrong with!

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 11
The digital-out is only for digital devices - headphones only operate with an analogue signal, so don't worry about that for now.
The most cost effective work-around would be to simply get a cheap 3.5mm Stereo extension cable (with different male/female ends) - which can be as little as $2.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 11
If you want to use the Philips with the adaptor I posted you would need a very specific extension cord, or 2 extension cords (1 for mic and 1 for audio).
The more elegant way would be plugging the headset into a single extension, and then splitting the signal at the sound card by using the adaptor.

A normal stereo plug has a tip, a ring and a sleeve. The Philips (or any iPhone accessory with a microphone) has a tip, TWO rings, and the sleeve. If you used a normal extension you would short the 2 rings (carrying mic and right audio).

Try searching for a "TRRS" extension cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back