Philips stuff: what is worth it?
Apr 8, 2006 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Bricolo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have special prices for Philips stuff, but since I haven't been browsing this forum at all for a few months, I have no idea what is worth it or not.

Both my headphone and earphones are currently out of order
frown.gif
(the headphones need a new cord, and the earphones passed away after a snowboarding fall)

So I'm looking for suggestions, for everything: headphone, earphones (in ear or not)...

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 58
Headphones, fullsize:
SBC-HP1000
Older model: SBC-HP890
SHP805 (can be tweaked)
SBC-HP830 may not be bad either as a closed model, just a bit creaky
SBC-HP250 isn't that bad for a cheapo (but below what I'd consider)
SHP895 should perform better than SHP805, but is fairly heavy (330 g), hot around the ears and yet brighter.

Headphones, portable:
SBC-HP460
SBC-HS820

There are some earphones that appear to have some potential but fit issues (e.g. SBC-HE785/SHE785).

Keep in mind that Philips cans are rarely ever perfect, they are usually cutting corners somewhere.

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Keep in mind that Philips cans are rarely ever perfect, they are usually cutting corners somewhere.

So true - usually it's build quality. They really seem to have a talent for producing creaky constructions...
rolleyes.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 58
ok thanks for the suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

are the 890 not produced anymore? I was looking for those but didn't see them on the pricelist

what about earphones? are some worth something?
I'd also like to try in canal ones, I never tried, how good are the ones from philips?

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 58
HP910s are an older open model from the late '90s... hard to tell how good they are still. Fairly bright, obviously. BTW, I suspect the HD590 was somewhat inspired by Philips cans.

The HP890 indeed has been out of production for a while, replaced by the SHP895. Used to be quite popular here a couple of years ago, build quality wasn't all that famous though.

Earphones, hmm, apart from the ones I mentioned there are the SHE9500/9501, but I think those have received fairly negative comments here.

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bricolo
maybe I've got a translation problem

by earphones, I meant things you plug in your ears (like my (RIP) sennheiser MX500), maybe you call that earbuds or earplugs

That's what he was just talking about. It's not really Philips' forte, though.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 58
Headphone: Philips SBC-HP1000, which is Philips top headphone model. Great value for the money(around 100€ in Europe). They are very comfortable, it comes with a very nice box, a 4m long quite sturdy detachable cable and at mine came with 2 cds(one jazz compilation cd and one headphone test cd with some binaural samples I think). Sound is similar to Sennheiser HD595, and some even prefer it to the 595, including me.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 58
Do a search at Amazon for Philips Headphones. There are buds and plugs and cans. I ordered the last pair of HP910's they had. On the way to me now. Didn't know about the HP1000's. Appear only to be available in EU (?)

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 58
i think phillips is a dutch company...i never really liked their stuff but some people really like them...i think they are like sony though..alot of lower end crap and really good stuff on the high end..but our european headfiers probably have more knowledge about their product lines

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
i think phillips is a dutch company...i never really liked their stuff but some people really like them...i think they are like sony though..alot of lower end crap and really good stuff on the high end..but our european headfiers probably have more knowledge about their product lines

I've owned a fair amount of Philips stuff over the years. Great innovators, bad build quality.

Still, my DVD player, despite feeling like a blast furnace inside, hasn't broken yet.

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 58
hey!
i have a pair of Philips SHP805 and I'm really happy with them.
well, actually I'm not a mature head-fi'er yet, but for my ears they suit nice. of course, they need a bit of EQ'ing to be more balanced, but i don't think you'll get such sound AND comfort for less then 30 euros anywhere else
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewind
how does the 910 compare with the philips line?

how do they compare to sr60 and ksc75?

In the same league as both. 910 has a little more bass bloat and its centered lower. Treble is excessive and tends to sizzle and add extra sibilance. Treble sibilance is its biggest flaw IMHO, tends to clutter and conjest. Mids are OK, nothing to get excited over, but then they most likely are being overshadowed by its treble. Mid are a slight notch down from the SR60. Image and soundstage is decent. Treble exageration tends to pull image inward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back