Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
May 18, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,982 of 2,061
I received the pad adapters from modhouse audio today. It took only a few minutes to stretch the 1840 pads around the adapters, pop the stock pads from the 9500, and snap these in place. Here's a few pics for reference. You can see they are about the same depth as the stock pads. I haven't tried them with any material yet, but I don't expect them to alter the sound much. They are definitely more comfortable thank stock pads. The Shure pads are also more dense than the stock pads, which adds slightly to the clamping force (which is needed with these). The first pic is next to the Fidelio X2HR.

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_183148.jpg
    IMG_20200518_183148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200518_182752.jpg
    IMG_20200518_182752.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200518_182735.jpg
    IMG_20200518_182735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200518_182712.jpg
    IMG_20200518_182712.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,985 of 2,061
Is there a way to make the fit tighter (maybe alter clamping force?) for these headphones besides switching to thicker pads?

It should be pretty straightforward to tweak the headband. Just don’t do it via the cups; only hold it by the headband itself.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,986 of 2,061
Is there a way to make the fit tighter (maybe alter clamping force?) for these headphones besides switching to thicker pads?
It should be pretty straightforward to tweak the headband. Just don’t do it via the cups; only hold it by the headband itself.
I had a set of these as my first open backs, and my first big mod project...the headband was an issue in that it needs to clamp tighter, but the design isn't easily modified. The two things I did to tighten the clamp was swap earpads and the comfort strap. When I made the comfort strap, I shortened the length a little bit; it forces the cups onto your ears a bit more.
@Slater In the end I came to the conclusion there only seems to be one way to get them to clamp tighter (without swapping pads or the comfort strap) and that is to put a headband on around your head and the headphones....
it was at this point my modding journey ended with the SHP9500s and sold them to a friend with a larger head....OH that's the other way to make them fit better,somehow have a bigger head!

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,987 of 2,061
I had a set of these as my first open backs, and my first big mod project...the headband was an issue in that it needs to clamp tighter, but the design isn't easily modified. The two things I did to tighten the clamp was swap earpads and the comfort strap. When I made the comfort strap, I shortened the length a little bit; it forces the cups onto your ears a bit more.
@Slater In the end I came to the conclusion there only seems to be one way to get them to clamp tighter (without swapping pads or the comfort strap) and that is to put a headband on around your head and the headphones....
it was at this point my modding journey ended with the SHP9500s and sold them to a friend with a larger head....OH that's the other way to make them fit better,somehow have a bigger head!

Hmmm, wow I didn’t realize the 9500 was that difficult to mod the headband.

I guess I should feel lucky that it fits my head perfectly.

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,988 of 2,061
Hmmm, wow I didn’t realize the 9500 was that difficult to mod the headband.

I guess I should feel lucky that it fits my head perfectly.
there's just no way to make it fit tightly on a small head.
My head is ...in general headphone terms, a small/medium....so the 9500s even when modded, is a little sloppy...it just can't clamp enough.I had mine all modded pretty...but they sounded their best when I squoze them to my ears just a bit more...

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #1,990 of 2,061
I was looking into replacing the headband to possibly help with making it tighter and to change the colour. I ended up buying a piece of leather than making a tube that slides over the original headband. Helped thicken it up a bit, I personally think its more comfortable and feels a bit more firm on my small head. Just waiting for brainwavz to finally ship out my replacement earcups and I'll be done.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,991 of 2,061
My only complaint with the SHP9500s is the stock earpads after long periods of time can become very, very painful on my ears. And the low clamping force causes them to fall off my head whenever I look down. I do need to replace the earpads though. Been looking at velour, velvet, fabric, flannel, etc. It'd be cool to find some that can keep the sound pretty much the same but maybe boost the sound stage some, and take out some of the sibilance.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #1,992 of 2,061
So, I took a chance on some pads that not a lot of people seem to have experience with, posted link below. I got them and installed them with the modhouse 3D printed rings which I am glad I did because it just makes the pads fit a lot nicer. Umm, I like them, I think they sound better than the hybrids, angled, and velour pads I tried. They add just enough added space that my ears do not get compressed, fit around the ears nicely, and are very comfortable. They feel nice, look nice, bass seems more present, but also highs seem more clear, and I think it just took enough of an edge off the sibilence to balance them out more to my liking. No regrets. I've had my SHP9500s since March 2019, having them on my head nearly 16 hours a day, they original pads are noticeably worn.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RT86VFD/

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #1,994 of 2,061
Hi all, quick question about the magnet mod. Would either the DH250D-CB-FN-N45-BE or DH250D-CB-FS-N45-BE on this page be a suitable magnet for the mod? https://www.amazingmagnets.com/sf-countersink-disc-magnets.aspx

I read a few pages back that the max dimensions are 20mm x 7mm, so they appear to fall under that range. This is a reputable site and N45 seems like a decently strong rating, and the strongest the site offers for this size magnet. Does it matter if the recess is on north polarity or south polarity? Much thanks.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,995 of 2,061
Hi all, quick question about the magnet mod. Would either the DH250D-CB-FN-N45-BE or DH250D-CB-FS-N45-BE on this page be a suitable magnet for the mod? https://www.amazingmagnets.com/sf-countersink-disc-magnets.aspx

I read a few pages back that the max dimensions are 20mm x 7mm, so they appear to fall under that range. This is a reputable site and N45 seems like a decently strong rating, and the strongest the site offers for this size magnet. Does it matter if the recess is on north polarity or south polarity? Much thanks.

That should be fine. And no, the N or as shouldn’t matter, because you can just flip it over if need be. The important thing is to perfectly center the hole in the stock driver with the hole in the magnet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back