Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,968 of 2,061
The x2hr is wayyyyyyyyyy more comfortable to me. I’m sure I could fix that with new pads. As far as sound, the 9500 is a little brighter, with a touch less bass. I’m just hoping that the 9500 will be good for gaming, as that is what he predominantly uses them for.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #1,969 of 2,061
I use mine for gaming and they work very well. They do have pretty good sound stage and imaging but that "touch brighter" means it'll be better for hearing things like voices, and footsteps. Mine are set up with surround sound virtualization and they're my favorite setup for gaming so far.

TeeReQs, yeah the headband was my big issue. The cups would never stay where I put them and the retention was rather week so the cups would keep slipping down and have to be re-adjusted. What I did to fix it was I extended the headphones fully and wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the metal part of the band and then adjusted them to my preferred length. Like 90% of the electrical tape is concealed inside the headband that I will never see and it takes enough force to adjust them now that it stays where I put it. They haven't slipped off of the "4" setting in over 6 months. Not having to constantly adjust the band has made them WAY more comfortable.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,970 of 2,061
@jason41987 I have a pair as well, and they are a great pair of headphones for the money. My biggest issue was the headband too, but more out of discomfort. It starts to hurt the top of my head after extended periods of use. Primary use is gaming, and I recently got a pair of HD800 which all other cans have taken a back seat to.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,971 of 2,061
I've never had an issue with the top of the headband. Certainly the extremely low clamping force on these things will end up bearing more of its weight on the top though. Maybe I just got used to it though. Now that you said it I can get what you mean. I think the clamping force may be too low on these TBH because if not for ridiculously low clamping force, perhaps the issue I have wouldn't have been such a problem if there was more pressure keeping the cups from moving on my head. I also find these headphones always move when I turn my head or look down which can't be the best. But I often wear these for hours at a time and completely forget I have them on.

I do have about $200 budgeted for a new set of headphones though so my SHP9500s will become backups when I determine what will replace them.

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,973 of 2,061
I've never had an issue with the top of the headband. Certainly the extremely low clamping force on these things will end up bearing more of its weight on the top though. Maybe I just got used to it though. Now that you said it I can get what you mean. I think the clamping force may be too low on these TBH because if not for ridiculously low clamping force, perhaps the issue I have wouldn't have been such a problem if there was more pressure keeping the cups from moving on my head. I also find these headphones always move when I turn my head or look down which can't be the best. But I often wear these for hours at a time and completely forget I have them on.

I do have about $200 budgeted for a new set of headphones though so my SHP9500s will become backups when I determine what will replace them.

My HD58X was a noticeable upgrade over my SHP9500, they collect dust now, even though they will always be my babies at the end of the day. They were my go to undefeated for many years as a budget oriented buyer and seller. I'm not sure you will find anything that beats HD58X at the $150-$200 price point.

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,975 of 2,061
Does anyone know a source for a replacement headband for the shp9500 or even the measurements of the stock headband?

If you look back a few pages, another member made a nice leather headband for his 9500. He posted the exact measurements of the leather piece he used.

May 7, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,976 of 2,061
I'm thinking of swapping pads on my SHP9500 with the Shure 1840 (velour) or 840 (leather) pads. Can't decide if I want leather or velour at the moment. Either one I think will do fine as they are not much deeper than the stock pads, and I don't think the sound will change much. But I need a bit more comfort around the ear and hoping for a tad more clamping force with slightly increased pad depth.

I'm also going to order the adapter rings from modhouseaudio as I want to retain the stock pads. I've read most of this thread, but I need the oval adapter rings, correct?

May 7, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,977 of 2,061
I'm thinking of swapping pads on my SHP9500 with the Shure 1840 (velour) or 840 (leather) pads. Can't decide if I want leather or velour at the moment. Either one I think will do fine as they are not much deeper than the stock pads, and I don't think the sound will change much. But I need a bit more comfort around the ear and hoping for a tad more clamping force with slightly increased pad depth.

I'm also going to order the adapter rings from modhouseaudio as I want to retain the stock pads. I've read most of this thread, but I need the oval adapter rings, correct?

You don’t need the adapter rings. You just remove the stock pads and install the HM5 pads. Simple.

May 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,978 of 2,061
I ordered the Shure 1840 velour pads as those were recommended earlier in this thread from someone who has tried various pads for the SHP9500, including the HM5. I know you can stretch certain pads without needing the adapter rings (OEM or aftermarket) but I want the pad install to look seamless. I went ahead and ordered the adapters. Thank you for the recommendation though. Now to see if I have an old leather belt I can mod to use as a headband.:)

May 7, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,979 of 2,061
I ordered the Shure 1840 velour pads as those were recommended earlier in this thread from someone who has tried various pads for the SHP9500, including the HM5. I know you can stretch certain pads without needing the adapter rings (OEM or aftermarket) but I want the pad install to look seamless. I went ahead and ordered the adapters. Thank you for the recommendation though. Now to see if I have an old leather belt I can mod to use as a headband.:)
Just curious. Where did you order the adapter rings from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back