Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Apr 10, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #813 of 2,061
I am looking at Brainwavz's website and they offer an angled pad as well as the regular one. Would the angled one fit/work well with the shp9500?

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #814 of 2,061
The second pair I ordered arrived this past Saturday.  They were a gift for one of my sons.  Today he let me know he really really likes them and unlike his dad didn't find the treble problematic so no felt (which I gave him just in case) was needed. 

Although my Senn HD580 & 600 are my standard, I again ascert that these SHP9500s are a tremendous bargain.  If you're on the fence jump on 'em! 

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #817 of 2,061
Has anyone tried with Ety 75ohm resistor to increase impedence? Sounds became a bit fuller and smoother which I like a lot. I compared briefly with Shure SRH 1840 and it is not too far behind. SRH 1840 has definitely more clarity and better build though.
My Source) MBA 2014>Meridian Explorer DAC/AMP>Ety 75ohm resistor>SHP9500 with Shure 940 velour earpad 

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #818 of 2,061
  So the HM5s are the only Velour pads that fits? Any other options? Does it change the sound in any way?

If you want to use HM5 pads, you will not be able to go back to stock setup. I end up using the hm5 angled velour pads without using the original plastic ring (You will know what the "plastic ring" is if you actually remove the earpads). With the hm5 angled pads, the details mids and treble are definitely decreased, but you will get a increase in the mid bass, which the shp9500 are lacking imo. Also makes it sound warmer.

The biggest improvement will be comfort with upgraded pads, the stock pads makes the shp9500 too lose fitting and every time I move my head, I feel like the shp9500 is gonna fall off. 

I believe the regular none angled hm5 pads will be your best bet to keep the sound as close as the stock. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #819 of 2,061
Anyone here did a cable upgrade/replacement since the 3.5 male to male is so easy to find?

I end up getting a 6ft mogami 2549 cable. Comparing to the stock, it seems like it toned down the sibilance, forwarded the mids just very so slightly. But the cable is so bulky and a pain to use even for desktop

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #820 of 2,061
xDuoo X3 Rockboxed mated to a Topping NX1 by a NewFantasia 0.1m interconnect driving the Philips SHP9500 with 2mm felt mod / Mediabridge 4' 3.5mm M-M cable.  :D

hi is the felt any special type that you are using for the highs? Or is it fabric craft felt? Thanks!

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #821 of 2,061

xDuoo X3 Rockboxed mated to a Topping NX1 by a NewFantasia 0.1m interconnect driving the Philips SHP9500 with 2mm felt mod / Mediabridge 4' 3.5mm M-M cable. 
biggrin.gif

hi is the felt any special type that you are using for the highs? Or is it fabric craft felt? Thanks!

A friend's wife is big into sewing crafts and had some 2mm thick black craft felt on hand she gave me.  Worked for me as described here: http://diyah.boards.net/thread/643/philips-shp-9500

As an aside my youngest son didn't find the treble objectionable at all with his pair.  He's about to mate a V-Moda BoomPro to his too.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #822 of 2,061
Cool link. Thanks! I
  A friend's wife is big into sewing crafts and had some 2mm thick black craft felt on hand she gave me.  Worked for me as described here: http://diyah.boards.net/thread/643/philips-shp-9500

As an aside my youngest son didn't find the treble objectionable at all with his pair.  He's about to mate a V-Moda BoomPro to his too.

Cool link. Thanks! I am in my late 40's so who knows... maybe the treble might bug me. lol. I will post when I receive them and give my impressions. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #823 of 2,061
  Cool link. Thanks! I

Cool link. Thanks! I am in my late 40's so who knows... maybe the treble might bug me. lol. I will post when I receive them and give my impressions. 

You're much closer in age to my youngest son than you are to me! 
biggrin.gif
  I've got you by at least 2 decades!  LOL

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #825 of 2,061

AD900X is the better headphone between the two, especially for your criteria. The two advantages over the AD900X are detachable cable and a bit more neutral midrange. Other than that the 900X has it licked in overall fidelity, better treble, better imaging, much bigger soundstage, etc.

I've gone over and over with these two as well, so if you have any other questions about the differences feel free to ask.
Im doubting between these and the AD900x. Will use them for gaming, so I need soundstage/imaging/detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back